1984 Bono on his album themes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I guess our other threads got archived
frown.gif
but I wanted to talk about themes more.. or at least share this interview that I found from Bono about themes.
smile.gif

"First of all we started out and made Boy which is a sexual LP and we changed the cover in America to stop any concern there might be
about pedophilia and the like because it was our first album. But import copies got in and, as you know, in America a lot of music is broken in gay clubs and so we had a gay audience, a lot of people who were convinced the music was specifically for them. So there was a misconception if you like.

"Then after Boy we made October, which is a spiritual LP and a lot of people went: 'what the hell is going on here' -- especially in England where people wouldn't be aware of how much religion is part of everyday life here in Ireland and how much stick people get here. They're not aware of how deep that runs. So they went off on that one for a while.

"So then War came out and to some people in America again, it was 'the political band' and they loved it and they failed to see that War was an emotional LP rather than a political one. So there have been misconceptions all the way and it's like chasing your tail. So I just stopped. But I find it interesting to see the amount of controversy that surrounds a group. I mean, I have heard amazing stories, about myself that I only wish were true [laughs].

------------------
Happy Birthday Adam!!

* U2 Take Me Higher *
The Macphisto Society

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:

"So then War came out and to some people in America again, it was 'the political band' and they loved it and they failed to see that War was an emotional LP rather than a political one. So there have been misconceptions all the way and it's like chasing your tail. So I just stopped. But I find it interesting to see the amount of controversy that surrounds a group. I mean, I have heard amazing stories, about myself that I only wish were true [laughs].

That's really one thing I always pulled away from War, that it was emotional. It's just that political issues shape people's emotions. I do the same thing, I'll be 'debating' politics in class and I yell and stand up and gesture like mad and all of these things and people are always "whoa there, it's just campaign finance reform, no need to get so into it." And I find that rather offensive. (hold on, this is going to ramble into something else for a moment, but I'll bring it back, I promise) Because, the only reason I get so 'into' it is because it effects me, it takes MY tax money and they're MY representative, I need them to be spending wisely and basically know what they're doing. Politics is something that envelops me and makes me more passionate than I ever knew I could be. And it comes out in all sorts of ways, I say it in class, I write it in my essays, my beliefs are all over. And they are personal, because they're mine. They tie in with everything I feel, because if they didn't, they wouldn't be my beliefs. So (bringing it back now), when I express my political beliefs in a creative manner (be that in an essay, or for creative writing purposes), it is emotional and I would hate for people to peg my work as political and separate it from the emotional ties I feel with it.
*whew* that was a long one...

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Back
Top Bottom