Foreign languages you speak/learnt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I speak Dutch(since I am Dutch..duh) and English. I had German, French and Latin in school. I should be able to speak Indonesian because it's in my blood. But I don't :reject: I should learn, I know

Estonian is my first language, I also speak English (surprise, surprise), Russian, German and a little Spanish

sulawesigirl4 said:
English. ;)

Also passable French, Indonesian, and Japanese. Hopefully next year with the Peace Corps, I will learn some fun new language(s). :D

yay, i can now quote myself several years later and state that I have learned a few fun new languages in Peace Corps. In addition to getting my French up to par, I have learned Bambara and can greet in Songhai, Fula, and Tamasheq.

I speak french, english and some spanish :) I'm currently learning japanese and next year German at school ;)

There aren't a lot of people around here, it seems...

Anyways, I read, write and speak English, Swedish, French, Spanish, German and Swedish Signlanguage. I also studied Latin, so I remember a lot from that. I know many phrases in Japanese, and two in Russian... I can say 'Good Day' and 'Cheers!' :reject:
The thing most people are impressed by, though, is that I can do pretty much any English accent existing, including an Irish accent, guess where I learn that from? :wink:

I speak spanish but I learnt english (I just finished all the levels in school :lol: )

English is my native language, and the only one I can really speak fluently (although some of my posts might make you doubt that, lol). I took three years of French in middle/high school, but don't remember much of it, largely due to the fact that my high school French teacher was horrible. Nice guy, very smart, but could not teach at all - he would ramble on about his hobbies and how he had to work a second job because the school didn't pay him enough, blah blah blah, and hardly ever spoke any French. Now I'm taking my fourth semester of German in college, and progressing a bit more slowly than I would like, but it's coming along I suppose. I would love to learn Italian and Spanish as well.

Sulawesigirl4, I'm considering joining the Peace Corps when I get out of school and would love to hear about the experience from someone who's "been there, done that" - if you'd be interested in sharing, that is. :)

Old threads. :drool:

I was brought up speaking English, but I can also speak some simple Afrikaans. Most of my family can speak the latter fluently, but my family and I moved from South Africa before I had a chance to really get stuck into the language at school.

I've also taken a semester's worth of German, so I can say a few basic Deutsch phrases and order food if I ever decide to visit Germany.

JezSnape said:
There aren't a lot of people around here, it seems...

Anyways, I read, write and speak English, Swedish, French, Spanish, German and Swedish Signlanguage. I also studied Latin, so I remember a lot from that. I know many phrases in Japanese, and two in Russian... I can say 'Good Day' and 'Cheers!' :reject:
The thing most people are impressed by, though, is that I can do pretty much any English accent existing, including an Irish accent, guess where I learn that from? :wink:

Impressive!

Amélie said:
I speak dutch, english, french, german, arabic and hebrew

Hebrew? Cool! :up:

I speak English (it might be hard to tell that from my very heavy accent, but it is English honestly!). I spent 5 years studying French at secondary school (I've got "Can you speak English please" in French down to a T! :wink:) and 2 years studying German at secondary school too (can hardly remember any of it). I always feel really guilty whenever I meet/see on TV etc people from the Continent. You've got these 8 year old French kids talking away in English like they were born and bred in London and then there's me struggling to utter a single foreign sentence correctly! It's not really good enough and I think the UK tends to be far behind the rest of Europe when it comes to languages. I think we should start studying it at a much younger age like they do in France.

To be honest though I think a lot of people are like me, they studied a language at school, then because they hardly meet anybody who speaks that language regularly, it gets forgotten. Asian languages must be by far and away the most frequently spoken non-English languages in Yorkshire, so why can't we study some of those? You can't eavesdrop on people when you can't understand a word they're saying! I mean, it'd help break down barriers and bring communities closer together... :shifty:

TheQuiet1 said:

Hebrew? Cool! :up:

I speak English (it might be hard to tell that from my very heavy accent, but it is English honestly!). I spent 5 years studying French at secondary school (I've got "Can you speak English please" in French down to a T! :wink:) and 2 years studying German at secondary school too (can hardly remember any of it). I always feel really guilty whenever I meet/see on TV etc people from the Continent. You've got these 8 year old French kids talking away in English like they were born and bred in London and then there's me struggling to utter a single foreign sentence correctly! It's not really good enough and I think the UK tends to be far behind the rest of Europe when it comes to languages. I think we should start studying it at a much younger age like they do in France.

To be honest though I think a lot of people are like me, they studied a language at school, then because they hardly meet anybody who speaks that language regularly, it gets forgotten. Asian languages must be by far and away the most frequently spoken non-English languages in Yorkshire, so why can't we study some of those? You can't eavesdrop on people when you can't understand a word they're saying! I mean, it'd help break down barriers and bring communities closer together... :shifty:

:yes:

Italy has got a strange relation with other languages... I mean, there are lot of people talking quite well English, or French and Spanish..
But there are also a ton of people who pretend they know a foreing language. And there's a lot of use of English words with no reason. For instance, in some jobs, the name is in English just to look cool, even if we have the world translating it inot Italian..
It's something I won't probably ever understand about this country :shrug:

^I dunno about that! In the Irish Gaelic thread you seem very good at it. Though of-course you could be typing any old rubbish for all I know! :wink:

Dansk. Danish. Fluent.
English. English. Fluent.
Norsk. Norwegian. Fluent.
Svenska. Swedish. Understand perfectly.
Francais. French. Quite good.
Deutsch. German. Quite good.
Latinus. Latin. Good.
日本語. Japanese. Not that good.
Yet!

I'm Swedish so I can talk swedish eheh, and then I can understand danish and norweigan.
In school I'm having french but I'm not good at it.
And then my small brothers are italian so I understand that too, but I'm not so good at talking italian, I'm too shy haha

^ don't be shy when you talk Italian! It's such a funny and creative language!!

lady luck said:
^ don't be shy when you talk Italian! It's such a funny and creative language!!

haha yeah I know I shouldn't be so shy cus I would really like to learn more how to talk the language and so on.

yeah I like it :D It's much more beautiful than the swedish!

Back
Top Bottom