Any Dutchies free on Jan 1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
...I highly doubt it because I know it is a holiday and all that, but I am arriving in Amsterdam at like 7am and have to kill an entire day till I can meet up with Matthieu in Zwolle that evening. So I am trying to decide what to do with my day. Should I lock my back in a locker and hang out in Amsterdam all day? Utrecht? Anyone nearby want to hang out? lol. Or have ideas? Anything?

Looking forward to being back in your lovely country again and back in Europe for another four months. yay! :up:

-sula

Hello Sula!

You're arriving in Amsterdam on Jan. 1 at 7 am? IN THE MORNING?!? And you left from Minneapolis? Am I correct in assuming that on 31 December at midnight (or 1 January at midnight, depends on how you look at it) you're in an airplane? ARE YOU NUTS!!! :p

Anyway... I'm very sorry, but I cannot come to Amsterdam that day. I have other things that day (like visiting some family to wish them all the best for the new year, etc.). So unfortunately I cannot help you. Please forgive me!

As for what to do... that's also difficult. I don't know what's open on 1 January. As you said, it is a holiday. No shops, that's for sure. Museums, I doubt about it. You can go to the beach of Scheveningen (near The Hague) where there will be a New Year's Dive into the North Sea and see many lunatics doing that. It's out of the way to Zwolle (as The Hague is to the southwest of Amsterdam and Zwolle to the northeast), but at least it's something.

Hopefully others can help you in a better way. Good luck and have fun!

C ya!

Marty

Welcome back in our country. Unfortunately I can't help you out either because of newyearsday obligations.

Well, you can go to Scheveningen as Marty suggested. But I think you can go to some museums in Amsterdam as well. Have you ever been to the Anne Frank museum? It is worth wile a visit.

Enjoy your stay in the Netherlands!

Hello Sula,

Welcome again! Did you have a good flight? I think it was very quiet, wasn't it? And how did you get through the day? Seen anything, done anything? I'd read that some museums were closed (Rijksmuseum being one of them), so was anything open that day?

Yes, I know, I'm only asking questions, questions and more questions. But I'm a curious boy who wants to know everything. :)

C ya!

Marty

hey there! Well I made it into Amsterdam easily enough and I even ran into some friends on the flight who were spending the day there as well. Small world! So we hung out for most of the morning and afternoon. The only thing that was open was the Anne Frank Huis, so we went there. I am really glad that we did as it was really really interesting and very moving. :sad: Amsterdam was freeeeezing cold and rainy and windy. ugh. I almost froze to death...and I had just come from Minnesota. :huh:

Anyways, I am with DrTeeth in Zwolle at the moment. We spent yesterday wandering around the town, hanging at a pub, shopping, etc. Today we are going to Groningen (sp?) and will probably do the same. Hopefully the great Dutch weather will cooperate. Tomorrow morning I have to leave for Switzerland. Wish I could stay over the weekend and see the rest of my Dutch friends, but that's how it goes.

Rono!!!!! I thot I remembered you lived somewhere around there. I am so sorry we missed you. *pout* We went to the Three Sisters and it was really nice. Palm Beer! :up:

sulawesigirl4 said:
Rono!!!!! I thot I remembered you lived somewhere around there. I am so sorry we missed you. *pout* We went to the Three Sisters and it was really nice. Palm Beer! :up:
:drool: And they have a beautyfull choice of other beers too. Well,....:wave:

But what is a pout:confused:

Reading far too late again......not that I would have come anyway, was in Berlin around New Year (which was absolutely fabulous), but I'm starting to get post-meeting-missed-you-and-feel-bad-about-it-syndrom.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom