It's Official: It's could NOT care less

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edurban said:
I wonder... do they ever read? because surely you would get it if you read, no?

Let's not start talking about plummeting literacy rates and the waning interest those who are literate have in reading anything except web site blurbs.

I'm mortified that I cannot speak a 2nd language. I'd love to blame the education system here in the States but the truth is that if I really wanted to learn another language, the means are at my disposal.

English is my second language though, so if I ever make mistakes PLEASE do not pick on me. Prepositions (for those who know what they are) are particularly hard for me.

edurban said:
English is my second language though, so if I ever make mistakes PLEASE do not pick on me. Prepositions (for those who know what they are) are particularly hard for me.

Noted.

What is your primary language, and, do you know any others beyond that one and English?

Italian is my first language. Whether it's my *primary* language now, I don't know, after eight years in the UK things are starting to get a little blurry. I think in English probably 60% of the time. Not necessarily a correct English, but at least I can spell (except 'boycott', I have to specify before Gabrielvox crucifies me!). Probably knowing Latin helps.

And I know French and a series of dead languages mostly (Ancient Greek, Sanscrit, Old Icelandic, Old Irish...). I did Indoeuropean Studies at Uni.

Parts of speech. :drool:

edurban said:
Italian is my first language. Whether it's my *primary* language now, I don't know, after eight years in the UK things are starting to get a little blurry. I think in English probably 60% of the time. Not necessarily a correct English, but at least I can spell (except 'boycott', I have to specify before Gabrielvox crucifies me!). Probably knowing Latin helps.

And I know French and a series of dead languages mostly (Ancient Greek, Sanscrit, Old Icelandic, Old Irish...). I did Indoeuropean Studies at Uni.

I always ask polyglots what language they think in, which language they dream in, etc. I find that fascinating, being a monolignual idiot myself.

No spoken words said:

I always ask polyglots what language they think in, which language they dream in, etc. I find that fascinating, being a monolignual idiot myself.

It is fascinating. I like to question the boyfriend about what language he thinks/dreams in.

I wish I could easily switch between languages like some people can. I make an effort to think in French/Spanish because that's what I have a degree in. I dream in Spanish sometimes. Although when I was doing work experience at my first school I only had French classes. After a few weeks I started dreaming about shouting at the darlings in my horrible class in French. :drool:

Not many folk seem to enjoy studying a language here. It's becoming an even less popular subject as it's not obligatory to do a language GCSE anymore. :sad:

Last edited:
edurban said:

The problem is that people confusing your and you're don't know the difference....
:banghead:

Those people shouldn't be allowed to abbreviate you are!
:rolleyes: if you can't do it properly, don't do it..

and NSW, as a multi myself, to answer your question... I dream in multiple languages actually... usually in either Dutch or English.. it depends.. sometimes I have more languages in it...
never had a dream entirely in latin, french or german tho, thank god :crack: I'd go crazy!

Galeongirl said:

and NSW, as a multi myself, to answer your question... I dream in multiple languages actually... usually in either Dutch or English.. it depends.. sometimes I have more languages in it...
never had a dream entirely in latin, french or german tho, thank god :crack: I'd go crazy!

Thanks, it's endlessly interesting to me.

No spoken words said:

Let's not start talking about plummeting literacy rates and the waning interest those who are literate have in reading anything except web site blurbs.

I'm mortified that I cannot speak a 2nd language. I'd love to blame the education system here in the States but the truth is that if I really wanted to learn another language, the means are at my disposal.

Such as, Iraq.

Such as.

ackbar.jpg

Using the word "of" instead of "have" because that's how it "sounds." :crack:

Ex.:
I should of gone to bed earlier last night.

We could of sold way more Girl Scout cookies, but someone trashed them on the internets.

Why do people think that's remotely right? Did they not pass second grade? Stop now, please.

Schmeg said:
Using the word "of" instead of "have" because that's how it "sounds." :crack:

Ex.:
I should of gone to bed earlier last night.

We could of sold way more Girl Scout cookies, but someone trashed them on the internets.

Why do people think that's remotely right? Did they not pass second grade? Stop now, please.

I'm sure you already know this but I'm going to type it out anyway :wink:

It comes from "should've" and "could've"

They're typing out the "'ve" sound as "of."

It's horrible.

I've got another question: When did the word "bi-weekly" start to mean "every two weeks?" :huh:

In my world bi-weekly means two times a week. :huh:

I also shake my head with disdain at those who say "first annual." :tsk:

bonosgirl84 said:

I'm sure you already know this but I'm going to type it out anyway :wink:

It comes from "should've" and "could've"

They're typing out the "'ve" sound as "of."

It's horrible.

:lol: I actually thought about that after I posted but I had to go. Still I ask...did they not pass second grade?

I have a problem with people saying "for all intensive purposes" when they would like to actually be saying "for all intents and purposes".

Come on.

edurban said:

you're officially a badass. Old Icelandic? Man that's awesome. I wish I could speak eleventy billion languages...I took French for three years in high school but recall very little of it. I'm in Latin now...Latin's pretty cool. I kinda like learning all the grammatical stuff.

But yeah people make some mistakes that make me wanna go nuts... like the your and you're thing. I've seen people mess this up on college papers in a 200 level intensive writing class... seriously people? How did you even pass high school? And of course these same people don't get there/their/they're at all either.

also, something that really gets on my nerves: retarded texting.

"Was wondering y u stopped talkn 2 me coz i want 2 go out with u."

uh, I don't want to date a 13 year old girl, that's why

No spoken words said:
I have a problem with people saying "for all intensive purposes" when they would like to actually be saying "for all intents and purposes".

Come on.

:lmao:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I've got another question: When did the word "bi-weekly" start to mean "every two weeks?" :huh:

In my world bi-weekly means two times a week. :huh:

I also shake my head with disdain at those who say "first annual." :tsk:

That rates up there with "pouring with rain" and "past history". I ask, what else does it pour with? History is the past!
:scream:

Angela Harlem said:

That rates up there with "pouring with rain" and "past history". I ask, what else does it pour with? History is the past!
:scream:

Past history is a good one. This thread has upset me more than I originally intended. :)

No spoken words said:
Also, when the fuck did people decide that ridiculous was best spelled rediculous? For shit's sake.

there's some dearly loved on this site who do it often. one is even a teacher and shall remain nameless (yes i am talking about you, dreadsox!!! (which, by the way, i always want to write as "socks")).
:sad:

"definately" equals this one. you dont as often see "definate", only "definately", so people can clearly half spell, for shit's sake.

let me also add that i know i am an awful speller and typer. i make grammatical errors which probably give some of you hernias. i apologise.
:(

Angela Harlem said:

there's some dearly loved on this site who do it often. one is even a teacher and shall remain nameless (yes i am talking about you, dreadsox!!! (which, by the way, i always want to write as "socks")).
:sad:

"definately" equals this one. you dont as often see "definate", only "definately", so people can clearly half spell, for shit's sake.

I'll admit that Dreadsox inspired this post of mine, back in the Lost thread.....but, he's not the only one guilty of this. :)

I am too anal about this all, but, that's just how I'm wired, you know? :shrug:

I will say that people like me need to sometimes realize that proper grammar/spelling does not always = intelligence, and lack thereof does not necessarily indicate stupidity. I'm a prime example. I spell fairly well and such, but, I think it's clear to all that I'm as doltish as the day is long, so, there you have it.

Back
Top Bottom