It's Official: I work 10 hours on Black Friday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My best friend is one of those Black Friday freaks - she lays out all her sales papers on Thanksgiving night & plots her attack with military precision. Damn fool's up, showered & out of the house by 5am or so - she hits her targets and is generally back home before I'm rolling out of my bed around 9:30 or 10am. :crazy:

She's a super freak. :yes:

Babydoll said:

That's the downside - only ONE 15 mnt break during our shifts! Our managers say that it's way too crazy-busy to give anyone more than that.

I'm almost certain this is illegal.

Since you delve in the immigration field, what's your opinion on issuing "illegals" driver licenses?

And, without violating your client's confidentiality, what's your thought when they present you an obviously bogus SSN?

111-22-3333, for ex.

Hmm well no one gives us fake SSN's because we only deal with high tech employment visas / greencards etc. We have yet to run across anything really strange in regards to that. We have nothing to do with issuing drivers licenses or anything like that. Though I guess if they can pass the tests, etc I dont see why they cant have a drivers license. Better than driving around without one, if they're going to do it anyway.

Babydoll said:

Nope, they say we can't get more than 15 mnts thru out our entire shift. :crack:

:yikes:
We open at 5 am . I start at 4:30 am.
We will have a 30 minute PAID lunch the day after. Normally it would be a 45 minute punched lunch and then a 15 minute break.
My employer is providing a low cost ($2) lunch for us. I think I will bring my lunch, as it will be more like breakfast for me. Eating chilli at 8 or 9 in the morning holds no appeal for me. :yuck:
Beer when I get home at 2 in the afternoon holds ENORMOUS appeal, however.
Good luck all Black Friday-ers (and that Black Wednesday-er, Thanksgiving day-er :D)

I don't think working a ten hour shift with only a 15 minute break is legal and I hope Babydoll that you pursue it and are successful in your favor. Calif. is really strict about their labor laws, at least the employers I have worked for are.

I feel for all you retail workers especially at this time of year. Wear comfy shoes, keep your cool and just remember to B R E A T H E!

I don't work more than 20 hours a week as it's part time and I'm still in school. So they've scheduled me for 10 hours on Friday and 8 on Saturday, to finish my quota for the week. I'm guessing since I work only 2 days, they're ok with making me work non stop? :hmm:

Comfy shoes, heck yes! I bought a pair for work only... cushioning and arch support is as important in a retail job as is smiling! :lol:

I have officially worked my Black Friday Shift from 11pm 22 November until 1 pm 23 November.

I need Guinness and a foot massage

I have officially worked my Black Friday 4:15 am - 2:45 pm shift.
I need (and have) Leinie's Apple Spice beer. Foot massage would be nice :drool:

shari schultz said:

:yikes:
We open at 5 am . I start at 4:30 am.
We will have a 30 minute PAID lunch the day after. Normally it would be a 45 minute punched lunch and then a 15 minute break.
My employer is providing a low cost ($2) lunch for us. I think I will bring my lunch, as it will be more like breakfast for me. Eating chilli at 8 or 9 in the morning holds no appeal for me. :yuck:

You know, for all the evils of corporate law and the 80 hour work weeks, at the very least they feed you at expensive restaurants, cater in, and drive you home. So you at least feel like a glorified slave.

I just got back....... my feet are killing me. :crack: They hurt like hell and my body aches, but hey I made it! I had a good day too :D

So 'sall good/! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom