It's Official: Cracker Barrel is the dankest restaurant of all time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I used to live in Bend, OR my co-worker want to drive 4.5 hours in the middle of the night on a Friday to get to the Boise Cracker Barrel at 6 am.

crackerbarrelpoi.jpg

I have been to the original one in Lebanon Tennessee but it didn't taste any better than the ones in Utah.

Not the best thing to look at on an empty stomach.

I've gone to a Cracker Barrel twice - one in Raleigh about 11 years ago, and then one in Indiana last year. I was less impressed the second time around - probably because I had been eating similar meals for days.

I have a Great Cracker Barrel Story.

In 2002 I was staying up a Penn State (main campus) for the summer. Living in my fraternity house and working as a campus rent-a-cop. I get a knock on my door at 7:30 am from one of my bros named JT. He was 8 years older than me, when back to college after restaurant work and even a stint as a Chippendales dancer. He ballooned up a bit and took the form of a modern day John Belushi. Needless to say he was an essential member of our roster.

I was surprised to see him at that hour, and then he led into his pitch. He started, "What's up B?. Wondering if you would be able to give me a ride". This ride involved driving him to Ohio in my car where he would purchase an Isuzu SUV he found online and then return back to State College. The Ohio border was 3 hours away and the promise of $80 dollars + gas, was a great way to get some scratch and spend time with one of the most entertaining characters you will ever meet. Then he told me about the Cherry on top of the deal. We will stop he said, and I will treat you to dinner at CRACKER BARREL The visions of Sawmill Gravy on my plate overcame my early morning grogginess an the adventure was afoot.

My then-ancient 1986 BMW 325 with Vinyl seats was a tight fit for JT's big frame, but he had no choice (NOTE: I'm not that super-WASPY, bought the BMW from a gas station in NJ for $2500. When you are 17 in HS, skinny, nerdy, and shy around girls, might as well use whatever means necessary to elevate a baller image) We made a quick stop at Sheetz for snacks and fuel then hopped on I-80 West. About an hour into our journey I finally brought up an important question, "So where in Ohio are we going?" JT replied in a matter of fact mode "Right outside of Cincinnati". The realization hit me that this 'can you give me a ride?' request was going to last 12 hours round trip at a minimum. Still the company was dank, and the promise of Cracker Barrel was worth a day on the road.

We crossed the stateline 2 hours later, scooted beneath Akron, and crossed the Columbus metro. The afternoon wore on and we began to approach the northern suburbs of the Queen City. At this point it was time to revisit the important destination question "We are almost to Cincinnati, when should I get ready to get off the highway?". Once again JT answered with a sly confidence "We have to go over the bridge". It hit me. "So we are going into Kentucky?". What a slick operator JT was. Had to admire his skills in pitching a ride to the Ohio border to now making the trip extend into a former-slave state.

15 miles after crossing into Kentucky we reached a small suburban home, with the Candy Apple Red Isuzu in the driveway as the midway point of our quest. Was able to stretch my cramped legs in a recliner as JT filled out paper work and dropped 5-G's in legal tender. We pinpointed the Cracker Barrel exit on the map about 50 minutes north of Cincy. From there we were back on the road. Not as fun in separate vehicles. But the reward was close at hand. We pulled off the exit where we could see the Cracker Barrel sign.

We plopped in our seats and feasted like hungry Knights on a hero's quest. Proud of his brand new steed, Sir JT filled his large belly with all the fixings and country fried steak. The Sawmill Gravy lathered our stomach linings with a satisfying glaze that increased the bloating of our mid-sections. There was 20 minutes of decompression and bathroom breaks after the meal, before we saddled up for the journey home.

I finally returned home to my room and collapsed onto my futon at 11 pm. Despite my weariness it was a great day that vividly lives in my memory over 14 years later. Thanks JT and Cracker Barrel.

TL;DR Summary

Got suckered into giving my college buddy a 14 hour round trip ride to Kentucky help him get a new car. 80 dollars and a Cracker Barrel dinner were payment.

Would that somebody maybe be Michael Flynn?

He was probably looking for a job somewhere.

We hire diverse Americans from all different backgrounds. You might be surprised at some of the employees that come from all walks of life. Alien Bounty hunters have worked in our country store, along with an 84 year Korean War vet from Detroit. He has needed some corporate retraining so as to be more accommodating to our Asian-American diners. We were certainly hire a former General with intelligence experience. You never know who may walk through that door in this day and age. Somebody with his qualifications might be ideal for the host station should he choose to apply.

Our Northern Virginia locations have scene a surge in applicants. Some people might call corporate lobbyists and EPA officials over-qualified, but we here at Cracker Barrel understand that the economy has been in poor shape over the past 8.5 years so we will hire many people who have been out of work. Word is from corporate that we will be opening up many new locations soon thus offering more jobs to Americans just now entering the labor force or those who have been chronically unemployed that they are no longer counted in government statistics. Upcoming changes in healthcare law means we can expand our workforce and offer several tiers of good health coverage to our workers. We understand that some our baby boomers in their late-50s might desire a more robust plan where as a 27 year waiter can go with something more affordable so he can put that extra money aside for a down payment on home after he gets married to whoever he chooses to spend his life with.

We here at Cracker Barrel are very excited for what the future holds in 2017 and beyond.

:up:

Going to Cracker Barrel tomorrow.
I'm very excited. l'll make sure to post about my experience.

That is great to hear. Mention my name at your location and I'll make sure you get a basket of endless cornbread to make your experience more memorable. In the meantime. Here is a menu to peruse in advance of your visit.

IMG_2421.JPG

Thanks man!
I plan on getting the same thing that I've ordered every single time i've gone: the Uncle Herschel's. Unlimited biscuits and gravy come with it.
It truly is luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom