It's Official # Allergies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My allergies usually cut out by September. It's June- August when i'm worst - sneezing, watery eyes, rashes... the lot. I suffer from hayfever real bad.
Hopefully you'll get some rain soon to dispell the dry atmosphere!
:hug:

mine are worst in the winter for some reason

its like a season long cold but only when i try to fall asleep:(

I'm Ready said:
mine are worst in the winter for some reason

its like a season long cold but only when i try to fall asleep:(

You're probably allergic to some sort of indoor allergen like dust mites or mold or pet dander (not sure if you have pets, though).

september = ragweed. very bad stuff. TinyDancer - have you every tried Zyrtec? If your allergies are severe enough that you have shots (my husband is the same way)... I'd be very surprised to find that Allegra works at all for you. Mine aren't as bad as his, and it does nothing for me. The Zyrtec works really well for my husband though. Just something to think about.

She ls Raging said:
september = ragweed. very bad stuff. TinyDancer - have you every tried Zyrtec? If your allergies are severe enough that you have shots (my husband is the same way)... I'd be very surprised to find that Allegra works at all for you. Mine aren't as bad as his, and it does nothing for me. The Zyrtec works really well for my husband though. Just something to think about.

I worked with allergists for almost three years ...

For some people Allergra works, for others it doesn't. Same thing with Zyrtec and Claritin. It just depends how your personal physical make up reacts to the drugs. If one doesn't work, one of the others might.:nerd:

She ls Raging said:

Thanks She Is Raging about suggesting Zyrtec. I will mention this to my doctor.

puh.. dont remind me of allergies. everytime i go to make a test, my skin gets all red. every spring i get the same damn thing when the polls are flying around.

The past two to three weeks have been the worst for me that I can remember for a long time. All the usual stuff I tried that normally work (Claritin D, Afrin sinus) didn't do a thing. Finally this week is better, but the last two weekends were sort of ruined because I couldn't breathe through my nose and hardly got any sleep.

Allergies suck :rant:.

side rant: Do any of you guys that take Claritin hate that it's not prescription anymore? When it was prescription, I could get a months supply for $15 on my insurance plan. Now, over the counter, it's over a dollar a pill and I take one everday :banghead:.

kellyahern said:
side rant: Do any of you guys that take Claritin hate that it's not prescription anymore? When it was prescription, I could get a months supply for $15 on my insurance plan. Now, over the counter, it's over a dollar a pill and I take one everday :banghead:.

Try and find your drug store's generic equivalent. For example Walgreens sells Wal-itin -- it's the same thing as Clariting (a 10mg loratadine pill). Also Alavert is the same thing as Claritin. They're cheaper than the brand name.

kellyahern said:

Absolutely. Or in my case when you find a mediciation that finally works for you, and your insurance won't cover it until you've tried their "equalivent" and it fails. So you end up still feeling like shit for a month until you can get the other one. Not to mention 100 new phone calls, paper work and MD appts.

Hopefully all this rain will help with some of it.

JessicaAnn said:

Try and find your drug store's generic equivalent. For example Walgreens sells Wal-itin -- it's the same thing as Clariting (a 10mg loratadine pill). Also Alavert is the same thing as Claritin. They're cheaper than the brand name.

I didn't know there were generic Claritins. Thanks :).

Has anyone every taken a generic, and you know the active ingriedient is the same, but it still doesn't work as good? :reject:. I know it's all in my head, but I hate it when that happens. Not that it'll happen with Claritin though.

kellyahern said:

I didn't know there were generic Claritins. Thanks :).

Has anyone every taken a generic, and you know the active ingriedient is the same, but it still doesn't work as good? :reject:. I know it's all in my head, but I hate it when that happens. Not that it'll happen with Claritin though.

I have had that happen before, but the generic Claritin works for me.

Good luck.

The weather has finally turned for the better, and spring is here. The only bad thing is my allergies are bothering me. I'm on shots and have been taking Allegra everyday. Anybody else here suffering?

I've gone threw quite a few allergy meds myself - claritin, allegra, etc and the only thing that seems to work for me is Flonase, but that also gives me mild bloody noses. Although, I'd much rather have the bloody noses than the misery that comes with allergies. My worst time is usually June when grass pollen is out in full force here in the Northeast.

Oh yeah, I thougt I was the only one to have really bad allergies. I have Rhinocort, I don't know if it's available overseas but I'm sure there's an equivalent. Before I was a sneezy, drippy, pale, half deaf, red eyed blob on the couch. Now I can run in the fields, sniff cats, anything. THANKS RHINOCORT:happy:

Talk about bad allergies :huh:

I went to the doctor's yesterday to see if I could get anything stronger, especially for this hayfever-season...

I was on Aerius and now I've gotten a new spray (Nasonex) and eyedrops and although the spray doesn't really work until a week from now, the eyedrops are pretty helpful already :yes:

I thought this thread was about general allergies. Like penicillin. Which nearly killed me last time I took it, and will apparently come even closer if I ever inadvertantly take it again.
:happy:

And then there's that white paper tape that hospitals use. Sounds inoccuous enough, except it makes my arms swell and very sore when used. God only knows why hospitals insist on using it. It seems like half the population is allergic.

I'll depart with my off topic commentary. I wish you all antihistamines and a non desire to scratch at your face.
:wink:

My list of freak'in allergy meds:

Zyrtec D
Singulair
Advair
Zaditor (eyedrops)
Patanol (eyedrops)
Nose spray
Ear drops for itchy ears.

It's horrible, On my tombstone its going to say she loved the outdoors but the outdoors hated her!!!

:scream:

As I've gotten older I've been experiencing allergy symptoms but can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly. Especially when the winds kick up or the Santa Anas blow here in SoCal, I get the itchy watery eyes and I sneeze a lot or cough and sneeze with the drippy nose and I look like crap. It's wonderful fun, isn't it? Claritin seems to help me though, and natural tears for the itchy eyes.:mad:

I'm suffering BADLY right NOW!

I take Nyquil each night because my sniffles and sneezing and problematic breathing keeps me up, miserable.

I'm also allergic to pet dander (I now have FOUR dogs), dust mites- my apartment that I live alone in away from the dogs- is nestled back into a cul-de-sac of WOODS! Eek!), aspirin, BEE STINGS, pollen, dust, bananas, pears, and my asthma turns into cough-hack-wheeze during spring and fall times!

I AM SOOOO MISERABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP.

If you're allergic to cats why on earth do you have one? My sister has one despite allergies, too. Some people are just so nutty about cats that they'll put up with the allergies. Not me. I don't have a cat.

Back
Top Bottom