IO: I've sold out - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 PM
IO: I've sold out

I've decided to take a DNA test to trace my ancestral roots. I gotta say, it feels like I've sold my soul since I'm weary of the idea that a private company has such unique personal information. But since my curiosity has been eating me alive for decades, I went for it.
I know very little about my family history and only knew 1 of my 4 grandparents, whose family was very poor, which means no paper trail. The others were estranged. I know one little test won't give me the meat n potatoes of my tree and it will only give me vague details,but since I don't know much of anything, f*ck it.

Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

interesting

can I ask what the fee is? how did you find this service?

deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Refugee

Nearly a year ago I watched a special on genetics on PBS and the host used the company 23 and me to trace the health side of his genes. Which diseases he's at risk for, his likely responses to certain drugs etc.

On their website they explain the health and ancestral parts of the test. Normally their fee is $500 but I got my kit for $99 on cyber Monday

I think they're still holding the cyber Monday price for the holidays. I know there are other companies that do this kind of thing ( Knome.com, ancestry.com for example) but I thought 23 and me offered more info for my buck.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
I've decided to take a DNA test to trace my ancestral roots.
i can save you the effort......science tells us all human life emerged from africa.....you're african american like me (assuming you are american of course)
wear this as a badge of honor.......it provides you with the "victim" status necessary to advance in today's multicultural society of tolerance.....right alongside other oppressed groups such as hispanics, gays, and single moms

personally i couldn't be prouder i was born a poor black child

Bad Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Ronald View Post
i can save you the effort......science tells us all human life emerged from africa.....you're african american like me (assuming you are american of course)
wear this as a badge of honor.......it provides you with the "victim" status necessary to advance in today's multicultural society of tolerance.....right alongside other oppressed groups such as hispanics, gays, and single moms
Um...uncalled for.

Hope the results yield you some useful info, Vasthy.
BluRmGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't think you're selling out at all. It's natural to want to know more about yourself and where you come from. Of course, I already know that you're super-rad
dsmith2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Cool Good luck on finding out enough to satisfy your curiosity. I also think it would be interesting to find out more since I know mostly bits and pieces of mine.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Very cool! You're not selling out, dont worry. Be sure to tell us of any findings (of course, nothing too private lol).
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Ronald View Post
this is totally uncalled for. racism (even if a quote from the jerk is tacked on at the end of the post) is not tolerated here.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
The Fly

sorry........i'll stick with accepted leftie racism next time

let me dig out my stash of hitler jokes

and as a member of an oppressed group (i'm black), i believe maybe i have the God given right to vent against my white oppressors

as a pacifist i simply use sarcasm to voice my frustration with tha man

get over it ...some asswipe sticks Mod on your name and you want to bully people with your "holier than though" judgementalism? spare me.......there are plenty more things for you to get your panties in a bunch about or find offensive than my post. grow up

and who cares..........it's a MESSAGE BOARD
Bad Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:47 PM
What the hell? white oppressors? What century do you live in dude?

And there's no such thing as a God given right. It's people who convince themselves they have that right, it's just another way of justifying the bullshit they pass off as truth....
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Ghost of Love

Mr Ronald you may be surprised to find out that there are plenty of people of many races here on Interference, black included. You probably wouldn't know who because we tend to just see each other as U2 fans and members of the human race.

I actually agree with your premise that we shouldn't have a double standard with regards to racially-charged "jokes".

Unfortunately, whether that rule is applied evenly or not, here's one that will be: the one about attacking the mods and/or not responding to their direction. So you kindof ruined what could have been a good point and any positive contribution you might have for us will be lost if you have to take an early retirement from the forum.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You didn't sell out, Outsider! You bought in!

I think what you're doing is A-OK!
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Refugee

Thanks for all of the encouraging words! I honestly was incredibly excited up until the moment I dropped it off at the post office (ohmygodwhatthefuckdidijustdo
Ill share a little review of the service and will let you know if it's worth it or not. (for anyone who has thought about doing something like this)

Bad Ronald-wow WTF? If you're gonna steal my thunder at least be funny about it.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Well it appears as though Bad Ronald has appeared before his white oppressors on this Judgement Day.

Very interested in the results, I'd like to know it's worth it.

Once again, good luck!

LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote