IO -I know nothing about torrents. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
IO -I know nothing about torrents.

I have no idea what the hell these things work.

RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 03:13 PM
It's easy, for the less technically challenged undr us.

You download a torrent, find a seeder for what you want to dl via google, and you download it.

Be sure to turn off uploading, as that is illegal in most countries.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

you lost me at seeder
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Carlos, torrenting isn't too bad.

First you download a Bittorrent client, like uTorrent, Azereus, or if you're on a Mac, Transmission. Think of this like a Limewire, but in a very basic form.

Then you go to a torrent site, like Mininova, isohunt, or Pirate Bay (which is about to go legit), and search for what you want to download. It's like P2P downloading in that the more people that are "seeding" the torrent (keeping it up after downloading it) over those who are "leaching" (trying to download), the faster it goes. You download the torrent and open it inside of your Bittorrent client. Depending on your internet connection and the "health" of your torrent (the ratio of seeders to leachers), the speed of the download can vary.

I'd recommend getting some anti-virus software before you begin doing any downloading, for security reasons.

Does that help clarify anything?
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I was all confused at first too but its really easy once you do it once or twice.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

actually that helps LMP, thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
you lost me at seeder

ROFL ! I thought the exact same thing

I do ok on U2start but don't know Torrents
SethVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Refugee

MaMa Mia someone please tell me I just didn't do it

As I clicked Submit Reply it dawned on me
SethVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I used to do them and haven't in a few years, so I needed a crash course and I'm good now.
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
that kills your speed though, you download faster the more you upload
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
actually that helps LMP, thanks!
You're welcome.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
As already stated, this can kill your download speed. Uploading (or sharing) increases download speeds.

Also, some sites demand that you have a good upload to download ratio. If you download way more than you upload (or share), you may get booted from the site.

Besides good antivirus software, I also recommend software that blocks people looking at your IP address. That may help if you dare to even consider something remotely illegal (like some U2 concerts). But ultimately, Galeongirl is right - most downloads are illegal (music, movies, software, games, etc. are all illegal to download in this manner). Torrents were originally designed to transfer large files (like huge documents and such). People are just using them for other means.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:13 PM
I believe in some countries it's still legal to download music, but not upload it. Movies, software and other programs on the other hand, it's illegal to download them.

But yes, torrents are easy to use. You just need a good torrent client program, then download the torrent and load in into the program.
JanuaryStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 11:13 PM

okay, so first time trying out this torrenty thing and I'm a little about a couple of things so any help at all would be mucho appreciated

I think I've successfully downloaded the torrent file into my torrent client - the little window says that the download is complete and I am now seeding

my question is - how long do I leave the file seeding for? should I just keep my computer running / seeding until the seeds tab shows '1' (which I assume means that I have 'paid back' my download? ) at the minute the upload / seeding is slower than a tortoise and I need mah sleep (am heading towards being awake for nearly 24 hours now and that in anyones language aint pretty )

also . . . how do I know if it's illegal here in oz to up load / down load via torrents?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post

okay, so first time trying out this torrenty thing and I'm a little about a couple of things so any help at all would be mucho appreciated

I think I've successfully downloaded the torrent file into my torrent client - the little window says that the download is complete and I am now seeding

my question is - how long do I leave the file seeding for? should I just keep my computer running / seeding until the seeds tab shows '1' (which I assume means that I have 'paid back' my download? ) at the minute the upload / seeding is slower than a tortoise and I need mah sleep (am heading towards being awake for nearly 24 hours now and that in anyones language aint pretty )

also . . . how do I know if it's illegal here in oz to up load / down load via torrents?

Ideally yes, to be a "good" torrenter, your ratio for any download should be 1, but sometimes that's impossible. Sometimes you need to shut down your computer before it gets to 1, sometimes there aren't enough leachers downloading the file from you to get it to 1, etc. So, as a general rule, I like to get it to 1 or over, but I don't sweat it if I can't. Some of my ratios are less than 1, some are 2 or 3 (or more), so I figure it all evens out in the end. Also, as long as you leave the file on the torrenting program, when you restart your computer and open the program, uploading will resume, you don't have to do it all in one session.

As for the legality of it, you're on shaky ground if you're uploading or downloading anything that's commercially released (music, tv, movies, books, software - doesn't mean you'll get caught, millions of people still do it), but if you're downloading/uploading anything like U2 bootlegs, or bootlegs from other bands, you're fine.

VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote