IO -I know nothing about torrents.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's easy, for the less technically challenged undr us. :wink:

You download a torrent, find a seeder for what you want to dl via google, and you download it.

Be sure to turn off uploading, as that is illegal in most countries.

Carlos, torrenting isn't too bad.

First you download a Bittorrent client, like uTorrent, Azereus, or if you're on a Mac, Transmission. Think of this like a Limewire, but in a very basic form.

Then you go to a torrent site, like Mininova, isohunt, or Pirate Bay (which is about to go legit), and search for what you want to download. It's like P2P downloading in that the more people that are "seeding" the torrent (keeping it up after downloading it) over those who are "leaching" (trying to download), the faster it goes. You download the torrent and open it inside of your Bittorrent client. Depending on your internet connection and the "health" of your torrent (the ratio of seeders to leachers), the speed of the download can vary.

I'd recommend getting some anti-virus software before you begin doing any downloading, for security reasons.

Does that help clarify anything?

I was all confused at first too but its really easy once you do it once or twice.

I used to do them and haven't in a few years, so I needed a crash course and I'm good now.

Be sure to turn off uploading, as that is illegal in most countries.

As already stated, this can kill your download speed. Uploading (or sharing) increases download speeds.

Also, some sites demand that you have a good upload to download ratio. If you download way more than you upload (or share), you may get booted from the site.

Besides good antivirus software, I also recommend software that blocks people looking at your IP address. That may help if you dare to even consider something remotely illegal (like some U2 concerts). But ultimately, Galeongirl is right - most downloads are illegal (music, movies, software, games, etc. are all illegal to download in this manner). Torrents were originally designed to transfer large files (like huge documents and such). People are just using them for other means.

I believe in some countries it's still legal to download music, but not upload it. Movies, software and other programs on the other hand, it's illegal to download them.

But yes, torrents are easy to use. You just need a good torrent client program, then download the torrent and load in into the program.

:bump:

okay, so first time trying out this torrenty thing and I'm a little :huh: about a couple of things so any help at all would be mucho appreciated :)

I think I've successfully downloaded the torrent file into my torrent client - the little window says that the download is complete and I am now seeding

my question is - how long do I leave the file seeding for? should I just keep my computer running / seeding until the seeds tab shows '1' (which I assume means that I have 'paid back' my download? ) at the minute the upload / seeding is slower than a tortoise and I need mah sleep (am heading towards being awake for nearly 24 hours now and that in anyones language aint pretty :lol: )

also . . . how do I know if it's illegal here in oz to up load / down load via torrents?

:help:

:bump:

okay, so first time trying out this torrenty thing and I'm a little :huh: about a couple of things so any help at all would be mucho appreciated :)

I think I've successfully downloaded the torrent file into my torrent client - the little window says that the download is complete and I am now seeding

my question is - how long do I leave the file seeding for? should I just keep my computer running / seeding until the seeds tab shows '1' (which I assume means that I have 'paid back' my download? ) at the minute the upload / seeding is slower than a tortoise and I need mah sleep (am heading towards being awake for nearly 24 hours now and that in anyones language aint pretty :lol: )

also . . . how do I know if it's illegal here in oz to up load / down load via torrents?

:help:

Ideally yes, to be a "good" torrenter, your ratio for any download should be 1, but sometimes that's impossible. Sometimes you need to shut down your computer before it gets to 1, sometimes there aren't enough leachers downloading the file from you to get it to 1, etc. So, as a general rule, I like to get it to 1 or over, but I don't sweat it if I can't. Some of my ratios are less than 1, some are 2 or 3 (or more), so I figure it all evens out in the end. Also, as long as you leave the file on the torrenting program, when you restart your computer and open the program, uploading will resume, you don't have to do it all in one session.

As for the legality of it, you're on shaky ground if you're uploading or downloading anything that's commercially released (music, tv, movies, books, software - doesn't mean you'll get caught, millions of people still do it), but if you're downloading/uploading anything like U2 bootlegs, or bootlegs from other bands, you're fine.

^ thanks VP :) . . . I ended up shutting it all down after 7 hours, the download was done in about 30minutes but the uploading just seemed to take forever despite there being 402 seeders and 358 peers (or whatever the hell they're called!) :crack: . . . and,of course, I screwed it up somehow, as I can't get the file to play :der: . . . and I managed to pick up a dodgy toolbar in the process :yikes: so have just spent the last few hours cleaning up the mess it made :lol: . . . I didn't really expect to nail it first go as my grasp of this stuff is beyond ordinary, so will do some more investigating and give it another bash tonight :)

thanks for clearing that up though

have your good self a prize :wink:

cocktail.jpg

brownie cocktail :drool:

^ thanks VP :) . . . I ended up shutting it all down after 7 hours, the download was done in about 30minutes but the uploading just seemed to take forever despite there being 402 seeders and 358 peers (or whatever the hell they're called!) :crack: . . . and,of course, I screwed it up somehow, as I can't get the file to play :der: . . . and I managed to pick up a dodgy toolbar in the process :yikes: so have just spent the last few hours cleaning up the mess it made : lol: . . . I didn't really expect to nail it first go as my grasp of this stuff is beyond ordinary, so will do some more investigating and give it another bash tonight :)

thanks for clearing that up though

have your good self a prize :wink:

cocktail.jpg

brownie cocktail :drool:

Thank you! :drool:

:lol: I used old skool p2p stuff since the late 90's (original Napster :heart: ) and when I first heard of torrenting it seemed mysterious and complicated, but it really isn't. You'll be fine. :) And if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

As for icky toolbars and stuff like that, I tend to be cautious about where I download from. I do the majority of mine from U2torrents, Pirate Bay and Demonoid, and less frequently, Dime a Dozen. I tend to stay away from the shiftier looking places.

:) I think it was the torrent client that I used that messed me up . . . I saw a few recommended ones here that I will try . . . and, thanks for the offer of help . . . rest assured I'll be calling on you later today with a look of total :der: on my silly purple face

better start making some more cocktails to pay off my debts :wink:

Back
Top Bottom