IO: Guilty pleasure Christmas songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanuaryStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Ok, so confess... What Christmas songs do you love (and listen to a lot this time of year) which other people totally dislike, which are overplayed, corny, or just downright wrong? ;)

I admit, I like Christmas songs, so my list would be long I think :uhoh:

Hate:

That insipid loathsome song about that damned kid, those stupid shoes and his dead mom.

elevated_u2_fan said:
Step 1: Cut A Hole In The Box...

:up:

i generally don't care for many Christmas songs. but my guilty pleasure would have to be Silent Night by the Temptations. I also like Joy, which is a gospel song, and when done right can really take off.

Okay hate, love, whatever, it's all good :wink:

I have to say, I don't like all Christmas songs... A lot of the ones that get overplayed on radio stations each year are kinda driving me nuts :huh: But there are some songs that aren't played a lot which can be nice to listen to... Something else than 'Last Christmas' or 'Wonderful Christmas Time' :slant:

OOH! I just thougt of a Christmas song I like. "Santa Baby" sung by Ertha Kitt. That's hawt. :drool:

Anybody remember when Ally McBeal sang it to Robert Downey Jr?

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

And Adam Sandler's Haunakka songs. They're not Christmas songs, but they're played at almost the same time of year .... :wink:

cinnaminson said:

One of our family favourites:lmao:

My absolute favourite Christmas song is Feed the World :bow: I bought the 12" single years ago for a $1 and it's the best dollar I've ever spent.:D
:yes: And it can be really irritating to the NON-BONO lover when someone likes me goes....."Ooh,oohh here is the bit when Bono comes in....no..wait...yes...wait...Yeah NOW"....and they can't hear a damn thing 'cause you start belting out "And the Christmas bells that ring there....... are the clanging chimes of doom .......WELL TONIGHT THANK GOD IT'S THEM...... INSTEAD OF YOU"

Do they know it's Christmas

Interesting little thing i found on Wikipedia:

"Bono was initially unhappy with the line Tonight thank God it's them instead of you.. Later, he admitted that it is a painful truth that, while we can feel sympathy and guilt about the plight of others, we're still not prepared to take their place. Geldof explained the context of the lyrics to him - that it was about being grateful that your own loved ones weren't in this situation - and Bono was happier. Ure had recorded this line at the same octave as the rest of the song, but Bono took it up an octave when it was his turn to record, and only required one take."

Last edited:
zuropa_fit said:
Anybody remember when Ally McBeal sang it to Robert Downey Jr?

No, but I do remember them both sitting behind the piano and singing 'White Christmas' together :hmm:

cinnaminson said:

My absolute favourite Christmas song is Feed the World :bow: I bought the 12" single years ago for a $1 and it's the best dollar I've ever spent.:D

I love that song too :yes:

love_u2_adam said:
the italian christmas donkey is the shit.

:mad: That's offensive. And his name is Dominic.

Fairytale of New York, but there's nothing guilty about it. I just like it. And some church music is real good around Christmas, like Handel and .... some other stuff. I don't know they names, just how they go.

Hey! Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominick the donkey.
Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
The Italian Christmas donkey.
(la la la-la la-la la la la la)
(la la la-la la-la la-ee-oh-da)

Santa's got a little friend,
His name is Dominick.
The cutest little donkey,
You never see him kick.