Writing Exercises?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I was just wondering...Does anyone know of any fun/inspirational/weird/whatever writing exercises for me to try? I feel like all my writing is the same- just random streams of consciousness and I would like to try something new. Any ideas?

Writers Digest has new exercises on it's web site daily. Also, there are many writing books that have exercises.
A Bird in Hand by Anne Lamont is a wonderful book about writing. Many of my best pieces have come from assignments. I do think you are wise to branch out, as it will only enrich your work.
Good writing to you!

Ok, correction...the book is titled, Bird by Bird and the author is Anne Lamott.
Your welcome!

It is interesting to see what happens when you alter between letting it flow freely and having a fixed point, or multiple points of attention.

I agree that many of my "better" peices come from actually being focused on a general topic, but for me, I need the freedom and release in between those times. I don't really write to write, I write to think and capture. But taht is just me. And I certainly am no writer. But I different perspectives are always a good thing

good luck

I guess looking at trying different forms of poetry/etc would be interesting. It is refreshing, perhaps.

Try Haiku, or make yourself write a short story, and then try to condense it into a poem, or a sort of chorus/overview of the story.

I don't know, I am having random thoughts brought to you by sleep deprivation. Heh. There you go - stay up really late and see what comes out. Or, conversely, get up at the crack of dawn. Or stay up all night until dawn, or in my case, 9:46am

Heh. The joy of summer vacation... live it up, they say...:eyebrow: :| :huh:

I get inspiration from J.R.R. Tolkien.......okay so it's the wizard in me.

Just getting off hiatus.........will be posting once again once I get my new DSL modem.....{think it's caught up in the Middle Ages somewhere but it's modern technology}....missed ya all.

I write sometimes about just what happens.....like being caught in the Middle Ages in our era of high-speed Internet service yet it takes over a week just to get the equipment......now Gandalf would have done it all differently. A touch of that lightning staff and there it would be.

carol
wizard2c

:|

If only, if only.

You know, Wizard, I'd like to be on my own adventure myself. Special powers, a cool sword, any/all of that stuff.

But right now I guess I will pay tribute to my own laptop.

I think I am one of the few people who have a laptop and dial up connection. But so be it.

For Honor said:
If only, if only.

You know, Wizard, I'd like to be on my own adventure myself. Special powers, a cool sword, any/all of that stuff.

But right now I guess I will pay tribute to my own laptop.

I think I am one of the few people who have a laptop and dial up connection. But so be it.

Adventure....it's what keeps me going. Predicting the unpredictable........

my writing last night was called "The Dilemma and The Dream".....about how mankind creates dreams as the dilemma of the world still exists and how the dilemma and the dream need to be "One" in order to become reality......actually it's quite involved and too long to start typing as I'm using a temp Internet connection.

carol
wizard2c

hey, but if you ever do, let me know, because it sounds really interesting.

in a different way, it reminds me of something I came up withonce, just a thought or something.

A while ago, someone I know just got into drugs, and I was realizing how they sought that illusion as an escape. But really, the illusion was they needed an escape; what were they escaping from?

They were escaping from the illusion of the world being to hard on them, or them not being able to deal with it straight up. So in a weird way, it was two illusions countbalancing each other, creating a third illusion of the "world" she lives in now. But that is a lot of theory and analysis, and not exactly what you were talking about, most likely. But that;s now my mind works, always connecting and relating.

Well, keep up the writing, and do let me know if you ever make anything of that afore mentioned subject, Wizard.

For Honor said:
hey, but if you ever do, let me know, because it sounds really interesting.

in a different way, it reminds me of something I came up withonce, just a thought or something.

A while ago, someone I know just got into drugs, and I was realizing how they sought that illusion as an escape. But really, the illusion was they needed an escape; what were they escaping from?

They were escaping from the illusion of the world being to hard on them, or them not being able to deal with it straight up. So in a weird way, it was two illusions countbalancing each other, creating a third illusion of the "world" she lives in now. But that is a lot of theory and analysis, and not exactly what you were talking about, most likely. But that;s now my mind works, always connecting and relating.

Well, keep up the writing, and do let me know if you ever make anything of that afore mentioned subject, Wizard.

I'll post it as soon as I can get on-line long enough. I was actually thinking about Mr. B when I wrote it.......him being at that G-8 Summit and thinking about how many times it is a dream of helping people but where the "oneness" comes in is when the dream and the dilemma (hunger, poverty, AIDS, etc.) becomes one {the action}...that's when it becomes the reality.

carol
wizard2c

Yes....

dreams need oppertunities...
I suppose the stage needs to be set......

Very interesting. Yes, plese do put it up

PS: which Mr B? Bush? Blair? Bono? Someone else?

For Honor said:
Yes....

dreams need oppertunities...
I suppose the stage needs to be set......

Very interesting. Yes, plese do put it up

PS: which Mr B? Bush? Blair? Bono? Someone else?

I never realized that.....but it is Bono of which I speak. I got my hi-speed equipment setup last night......thought I'd be on-line instantly but found out it would not be till tonight until I can get into the network......this must be one exclusive club that it takes so long. I'll post it as soon as I get connected with the world....internet wise that is.

My writing last night was called "Senseless"......kinda interesting as well.

carol
wizard2c

Back
Top Bottom