writers block(ade)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
so what do you do? to get around all those voices in your head that overwhelm you w/ so much ... pessimism that you totally psych yourself out when you sit down to actually start writing again?

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

get yourself a good bottle of vodka, that's what Anton Chekhov used to do; i think Hemingway drank Scotch whiskey

but actually these notorious drinkers like Hemingway and Chekhov never wrote while intoxicated, though they often wrote about being intoxicated
wink.gif

though I can't really say that about Edgar Allen Poe, the bizarre aspects of his writings are thought to be somewhat influenced by his penchant for opium, but I still don't believe that any great writer such as Poe could put together a finished product of such brilliance and precision while under the "influence"

I suggest doing something unusual, maybe that will spark something creative inside you...?

Theres this thing called a Poet's bed.
You lay down, make sure you've got a pencil and paper near by, and put something under your arm, like a brush, to stop you from falling completely alseep.

They say that at that point before sleep, while you're drifting is the time when thoughts flood. Try and let yourself wander off but don't fall asleep completely. See if your mind can come up with any lines and quickly write them down. Don't think about them or worry if they don't make sense.
Just write them down and try and make them into something later on.

I've done this before and it actually gave me some writing I felt was good.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Theres this thing called a Poet's bed.
You lay down, make sure you've got a pencil and paper near by, and put something under your arm, like a brush, to stop you from falling completely alseep.

They say that at that point before sleep, while you're drifting is the time when thoughts flood. Try and let yourself wander off but don't fall asleep completely. See if your mind can come up with any lines and quickly write them down. Don't think about them or worry if they don't make sense.
Just write them down and try and make them into something later on.

I've done this before and it actually gave me some writing I felt was good.

i really agree...this happens to me a lot...

Actually (speaking from personal experience only) alcohol is just about the worst thing for writing. It induces a treacly, self-pitying, grandiose mood that makes any kind of creative thought just about impossible.

Music, and lots of reading (reading just about anything, including this website) on the other hand, is a big help.

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

I've never been able to write anything while drifting off to sleep, I have enough trouble keeping myself from drooling, yuck, I know...

yes Kieran , I agree completely with your observations about alcohol

Back
Top Bottom