"When you're born a lover, you're born to suffer"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
SONNET I

The pain I felt when I was cast away
Is nothing to the fear I have inside
That anguish might be with me every day
To fill the void that's left by love denied.
Martyrdom is not the fate I seek;
The altar's sacrifice is not for me,
But how to fight the grief that makes me weak
When loneliness is all that I can see?
If you will leave me stranded in this place,
This barren, cloudy wasteland of my heart,
Then I must hope for intervening grace
To comfort me and give me a new start.
You may not know that you've been left behind
But I'll be glad in secret, in my mind.

wow scattero, i can relate to this so well..

thanks so much for sharing such a well-written piece..too bad it has to be that way sometimes but it's nice that we can keep waiting and hoping for the better moments
smile.gif

------------------
...you lost yourself in your search to find something else to hide behind...

Thanks
smile.gif
Well at least I'm not suffering right now--I actually wrote this over three years ago when I was trying to get over a crush (he was never interested and furthermore, he was engaged to marry someone else--I didn't have much choice!) I wrote this and a couple of other sonnets as therapy. I don't think I've written a sonnet since. It's not an easy form. Usually I think "Shakespeare's are so good, why bother?"
biggrin.gif
It's too easy to sound cheesy or stilted. But the second sonnet also turned out reasonably well--I might post it if you beg me
biggrin.gif

scattter....I LOVE it! Sonnets are such a hard form to master, but really beautiful when done well. And the emotions you write of are things I can very much relate to.
smile.gif
I posted a sonnet around here somewhere, but I think it dropped like a rock. lol. Please do put up another.

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
scattter....I LOVE it! Sonnets are such a hard form to master, but really beautiful when done well. And the emotions you write of are things I can very much relate to.
smile.gif
I posted a sonnet around here somewhere, but I think it dropped like a rock. lol. Please do put up another.

Thank you
smile.gif
I actually do have another one up right now under the heading "I can't live with or without you". I have just one more left which I may post some time. I guess I should write some more, they seem to be popular
smile.gif

------------------
A place that has to be believed to be seen...

It's tough for me to write poems with any kind of rhyme scheme, but this is excellent. Trying to maintain that structure doesn't cause you to drift from the poem's direction, but instead you are able to use it to help the poem; once again you find just the right words to make it work. I especially like the ending.

Back
Top Bottom