v e s s e l s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Not very well done, but here goes:
---------------------------------------------

v e s s e l s .

there is only
silence for t
he man who ha
s a cancer th
at his body c
annot contain

there is only
a cre\vice in
the wall to w
hisper his se
crets into, f
or the man wh
ose longing i
s so deep his
heart can't k
eep it inside

i sometimes t
hink the worl
d is too smal
l to fit even
the invisible
things. we tr
y bottling up
secrets loves
and yearnings
containing th
em in a thous
and words tha
t say nothing

there is only
s i l e n c e

foray

foray I dont think I have ever read a poem that has forced me to actually slow down and take in each and every single word and think while I am reading it - before now.
Its different every time I go back and re-read it.

Excellent.

Thankyou.

thank you

Thank you for reminding me never to forget my Grandfather who is passing away from cancer right now. I will make sure there is not only silence for him as long as I can.

Im just sitting here reading this again; i just found out that this guy has liver cancer that has spread and there is nothing they can do, he's only 25 and last time I saw him he was so alive and strong and now its just unbelievable. Im in shock. I dont know how i am going to talk to him, its so akward and I am scared but i have to go see him. Could you guys please just say a prayer for him and his family? he has two younger siblings, one my age, a freshman in California and now his parents can't come visit him freshman parents weekend because his brother is dying. Please just say a prayer, i will say one too. Foadie, I am saying one for you too. I am so sorry. God, I hate cancer.

I'm sorry about your stories, BG and Foadie. I will keep them in my prayers.

Actually, the subject of this poem isn't about cancer. Perhaps that was too strong an image to include... Wanderer, thanks for your views; I love feedback, I wouldn't mind someone dissecting it to death. I could learn a lot more by hearing other readers' interpretations.

Eh, small question. Does the poem appear in a rectangle shape on your computers? I hope so, it's meant to be that way.

foray

Last edited:
i was gonna say, I think this poem has a lot more depth than 1 interpretation; I honestly read this earlier today and felt like it could have been describing me, that's why I couldn't say anything, you've really touched on something about the human (and if you want to be more specific, the male) soul/psyche, I can't comment on how it is for anyone elses perspective, but that's how I felt reading it

It's brilliant foray, and the metaphor was perfect.

yes, and the way you played around with the words, breaking them up, you've created several layers to the poem , I won't, I refuse to dissect it, I've already gone and talked more than I wanted to about this

foray said:
I'm sorry about your stories, BG and Foadie. I will keep them in my prayers.

Actually, the subject of this poem isn't about cancer. Perhaps that was too strong an image to include... Wanderer, thanks for your views; I love feedback, I wouldn't mind someone dissecting it to death. I could learn a lot more by hearing other readers' interpretations.

Eh, small question. Does the poem appear in a rectangle shape on your computers? I hope so, it's meant to be that way.

foray

Yes, I was thinking that the true meaning wasn't at all about cancer. Even that word wasn't what reminded me of it though,
it was this passage:

there is only
a cre\vice in
the wall to w
hisper his se
crets into, f
or the man wh
ose longing i
s so deep his
heart can't k
eep it inside

The passage is kind of unnerving and personal, if you know
what I mean. It's a wonderful piece, Foray.

Blue Angel/Baby Grace, that's a horrible story! Just try to talk to him like a normal guy and give him love and attention. People
with cancer don't want "only silence." He is in my thoughts.

I think Foray, the more I read it the more I will understand it. I wish Wanderer would explain what he means about the male soul/psyche, as I'm not male and would enjoy reading the interpretation.

I loved the effect of making the poem look like a vessel, and you really get the sense of it flowing down, more than a 'regular shaped' poem.

cre\vice .. terrific! i like how this is introduced first, and then you read on to understand what the purpose of the crevice is.

i sometimes t
hink the worl
d is too smal
l to fit even
the invisible
things. we tr
y bottling up
secrets loves
and yearnings
containing th
em in a thous
and words tha
t say nothing

this was my favorite paragraph (not to diminish the others). the way the "world is too small" you can feel its smallness in the column of words, to fit "even the invisible things" (the most important things!) .. loved that line. the last four lines are super in their wording and where the words are truncated.

really awesome, the idea of bottling up loves, yearnings, secrets in words, as opposed to the general idea that speaking, sharing, (through poetry or conversation) allows a person to express their loves/yearnings/secrets. As if the emotions are too much even for words.

Last two lines are interesting:
there is only
s i l e n c e

the only way to express these extreme emotions is through silence.

I think I'm confusing myself. :huh:

great poem.
~Olive

Angela Harlem said:
foray I dont think I have ever read a poem that has forced me to actually slow down and take in each and every single word and think while I am reading it - before now.

My thoughts exactly. :up:

Back
Top Bottom