songwriting/lyrics tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2phan

The Fly
hey everyone, i'm interested in writing songs on guitar now. I've been playing acoustic for about a year now, and I think writing my own stuff would improve my skills too. I was wondering what tips you guys might have for a newbie like me. I want to write lyrics that are meaningful like U2, the Beatles etc, and I could use a few help. Thanks!

Well, I can help with the lyrics, but look to ZeroDude and others for guitar help. That's not my bag.

I distinctly remember Bono saying that his mouth is one of the few things that he can't lie with, and I feel the same way. When I sing, I can only sing a song if I really believe it. So I guess, really, honesty is extremely important. I don't know if it's for everyone, but as far as I go, I need to be sincere in order for my passion to flow out.

I'll try to come up with better tops, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

For Honor said:
Well, I can help with the lyrics, but look to ZeroDude and others for guitar help. That's not my bag.

I distinctly remember Bono saying that his mouth is one of the few things that he can't lie with, and I feel the same way. When I sing, I can only sing a song if I really believe it. So I guess, really, honesty is extremely important. I don't know if it's for everyone, but as far as I go, I need to be sincere in order for my passion to flow out.

I'll try to come up with better tops, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thats perfect, guitar wise when I write I always start with a really basic chord progression i.e. the open chords your bound to know by now, Bob Dylan has wrote many a great song with just three chords and you can do the same. Depending on the mood of the song or the mood you require your chord selection is paramount, major chords in general will give a brighter, happier sound while minor chords will give a sadder more depressing backdrop to your lyrics, of course though it's up to you what you want the song to sound like:wink:

This wisdom also carries over to what scales you use, but you mighten always want to limit yourself to the pentatonic, so do some homework and keep practicing even when your writing a song, for more guitar specific help go to Even Better Than The Real Thing and Three Chords And The Truth to get advice from far more experienced musicians than I, but hopefully I was of help to you.

I get some fairly good results using the keyboard......I just start with a few chords and the words move along quite well.....then I work on the notes......writing them down.....but I have to admit I've had so much going on lately.......that I haven't been writing too much music.....but I'm getting there. Most of my keyboard work seem to result in music that seems more suited to movie themes for some reason.

carol
wizard2c
:|

The only problem with songs....unless you are well connected your chances of ever getting your songs heard are slim and none. The music business is just that...business. Doesn't hurt to dream but it's certainly not one of mine.

People say put your writings in a book.....like yeah..who would buy it.....I'm not a Bono or McCartney, etc.

Tis better to battle the dragon......being the wizard I am.

Good luck with your writing.

carol
wizard2c
:|

I can't do things like: "Oh, I don't have anything to do at the moment, I'm going to write a song..."

It's just a moment, when I'm suddenly inspired, and I have to run to my bedroom, pick up my guitar, and figure out the chords that I have in my mind, it's very weird....

I can't help you with lyrics, I wrote poems, not lyrics; I'm shit at lyrics...

Back
Top Bottom