Reflections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soul Always

Acrobat
Okay, I'll share a poem. I've never done this on a message board. This is a poem inspired by the death of my uncle and his funeral. He was buried under a tree. I was really reflecting about death at this time because his was so untimely, odd and he was my closest uncle. I was reflecting on my own mortality, as well, and about whether there's another life.

Reflections - 2001

Beneath the shadow of its branches is a memory.
But it stands a symbol of hope. A reminder
of free will.
Shall influence remain to brush the sky?
Or will death eclipse the art?
To be a flicker like a shiftless night,
or bind the soul to God.

Last edited:
LCK said:
This is lovely Soul Always. I'm sorry to hear of the death of your uncle.

Thanks LCK. It was just one of those things in life that really affect a person. I didn't think it would as much as it did, but it really caused me to reflect...still does. You know...all that deep stuff like, does that person still exist? Etc.

LCK said:
I know, I've been there myself. Such reflection also helps us to realize what is important in life.

It totally does. For me it has become important to truly know if we live on past this life. It's just so strange to wonder if my uncle still exists. Honestly, I've never been touched so closely by death before. I think it had to do with him being so young and therefore he feels more like my peer.

Unfortunately sometimes the best poetry comes from tragedy :(

Beautiful poem.

Thanks Sicy. It's odd, but true.

I can't help but think of Bono during the Slane concert. I don't think I've ever heard him sing so passionately. Some of that had to stem from an opened heart.

Back
Top Bottom