Poem:3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
Well, since everyone now wants to steal my trend of writing "uplifting" poetry, I will certainly avoid that . . . so here goes . . .

"mifepristone"

vultures swarm in blackening air
over a voluptuous pit of filth
their mirth is contagious
as the stench is cradled by the wind
the main course has devoured itself
her appetite is a furnace
his vaccuum sliced your tiny heart
and the vultures feast upon your soul
they dance around the shapeless ghosts
that corpse was your dying love
as they empty your tomb of guilt
you lick the ashes from your skirt
before the vultures spill your insides
did the salty mariner rip you open,
as he sank your vessel?

Oh, dear. Very pleasant, Wanderer. I think I'll wait until after dinner to work through this one...I'd like to keep my supper tonight!

So I'll get back to you in a couple of hours... <g>

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

I warned you not to provoke me! If it makes you sick to your stomach, that's the point, because it's a topic that makes me sick to mine . . . and that's all I'll say for now . . .

Erm....I have no idea what the title means, or refers to, or whatever. If I knew that, would it help me understand this...mire of unpleasantness? I think the poem is very effective with realistic imagery, but...I still don't know what it's about....

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

nevermind the title, you're not really supposed to know it, it's a technical drug name . . . to come right out and have to say it disappoints me, cause it means it doesn't really work . . . but oh well . . . here goes,

this is about someone who was raped, and had an abortion . . . poor girl, nicest girl in the world too, this poem is half angry half remorse, as was her plight, since not only was she raped, but she was pregnant from it . . . not a pretty subject for a poem, I am sorry if I offended anyone with the imagery

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 08-29-2000).]

That's very unsettling and disturbing... which means it worked I guess! It does mean more in light of what you said just before.
Bravo!
I'm glad I'm not the only one with more depressing poems than happy ones...

Mmmmmm...it was much easier to handle before I knew what it was about. It's very striking Wanderer, very unsettling. That's the point, of course.

Can I ask you about the line, "her appetite is a furnace"?

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

her appetite is a furnace . . . as in her "desire" has left her vulnerable (I don't want that to come across as me implying that she "asked for it" . . . young and naive with all of these "vultures" around) and it also refers to her feelings of torment about having an abortion despite a strong desire to keep it . . . and mifipristone is an abortion drug "the morning after pill" . . . too bad she couldn't have used that instead of . . . I really hope I didn't offend any one with this poem, but if I did too bad because rape offends me and this was the only way I could express my despair and outrage . . .

I find the subject matter offensive, not the poem...

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

fair enough . . . I am still waiting for someone to post a happy little poem, now that I have sent everyone running for the exits . . . forget that poem, I was so happy about "Beautiful Day" and now I feel aweful about the whole thing again

No, no, no! Don't feel awful about it! The hard truth is that many things in life are unpleasant. If we don't discuss them and force them out in the open, they'll never change...

That said, I fully intend to post a happy little poem tonight when I get home! Because it is, after all, a beautiful day!

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

Back
Top Bottom