One If By Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
laz goes nautical...clearly out of my element here, but I'll leave it to the readers to interpret and judge...

ONE IF BY SEA

blow the man down with a lumbago bruise;
swing for the sweet spot--
the core of every fruit's a soaken treasure,
buried deep and kept asleep
by a breakwater valediction,
silenced by season's first snow;
a calm confetti on the jetty

commend the men,
condemn the dames,
extract the truth
from the mouth of the Thames
as flakes beat the shoreline
in a stubborn 5-4 time;
keep the decibel curve on the low end
and listen for the hiss of fortune's whisper

all is white and washed to shine,
his arm bent in at visor level
forming a stiff saluting shield
from high-sun diamond blind sea;
an abused skin thirsts,
sebaceous at worst,
deprived of the nutrient letters;
longing for land
and a sweetheart's hand,
caught between the sextant and the ricket

hail the fellow on the swell,
unfurl the strip'ed fabric,
fluff a blanket by the fire;
the secret spied in a humble hearth,
a bounty uncovered in ale-lipped lubbers
filled to the brim with each other.

laz

You use words very well, a true artist.
Reminds me of what bono said about U2 - the drums and guitar and bass physically hit you, and the words are what you feel. Your poems are similar, in how the words themselfs generate a texture, and the meanings catch the mind. Very nice

thanks for the words, F.H. I've heard it many times that a poem should be read once for the sound of the worse, a second time for content, and a third for any underlying meanings. It often takes me a while after I've written something to truly figure out what the hell I'm talking about, what all the little references mean. My subconscious just kind of spits them out. It's rather fun that way, although the downside is that I don't feel much of a personal connection to the work. It's detatched and doesn't seem from the heart.

oh well.

laz

lazarus said:
thanks for the words, F.H. I've heard it many times that a poem should be read once for the sound of the worse, a second time for content, and a third for any underlying meanings. It often takes me a while after I've written something to truly figure out what the hell I'm talking about, what all the little references mean. My subconscious just kind of spits them out. It's rather fun that way, although the downside is that I don't feel much of a personal connection to the work. It's detatched and doesn't seem from the heart.

oh well.

laz

I disagree Laz, your work rather than being straight from your heart seems to be an extention of many of our thoughts nad desires, sorry to sound pretentious but your definitely one of the best writers I've ever encountered.

I understand what Laz is saying, but at the same time, praise is warrented. Sometimes I can write something great, or get a good grade on a paper or something, and it's not quite real, because I didn't put myself into it, though it is structurally sound. But the fact of the matter is, things that have great structure will get good grades very consitently.

Regardless, it is very good to see different styles of writing, and I think it is good for everyone. The "community" of writers can benefit from sharing and seeing other author's works. Well, I should only speak for myself, I suppose. But, as far as I go, I enjoyed this writing very much.

thanks again to both of you. it's obvious that everyone writes in his/her own way, especially poetry which is really an "anything goes" medium. So there's a myriad of ways to express the same feeling or thought.

we all bring our own little puzzle piece to the giant mystery, and can enjoy trying to solve it together.

Back
Top Bottom