"My One Moment of Poetry"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Winter, 1998.
She and I stood there,
In front of her dorm,
Talking about nothing,
In the the electric chill
Of an Alabama winter,
In the quiet shadows
Just before sunset.

A moment before, I ran into her,
A chance occurrence,
Like a rainbow on a cloudy day.
Forgetting whatever I was doing,
I turned on my heels,
And I walked her to her dorm.

I usually walk alone,
From whatever task I was doing
To whatever lies ahead.
But to walk beside someone,
To walk with her...

I still don't remember my legs moving,
And I still don't know how
I put one foot in front of the other.

I was probably not looking my best.
I was probably wearing glasses
And several days past a well-needed shave.
I was never prepared when I saw her.

But as we walked, she glanced to her left
And looked up into my eyes,
And how I looked no longer mattered.

A moment after, another girl showed up,
A girl who knew me from class.

I prayed she wouldn't notice me.
She did.

She said hi, and she brought up
A class project, or homework,
Or something else that didn't matter
In comparison to what she interrupted.

With that, my love said goodbye
And walked up the steps of her dorm.
My princess retired to her castle,
My angel ascended to her heaven.

But the moment in between...

As we stood there talking,
In the cold, in the dark,
We were the only two beings
In all of God's creation.

A breeze kicked up
And played with her hair,
Those gorgeous blonde strands
That frame the face
That to this day is etched
In the back of my eyelids,
An image I see
Every time I blink.

It pushed her hair around,
Teased it out of place
Into another perfect arrangement.

And for a moment,
Just one moment,
I thought in poetry:

"I envy the wind."

BTW, that will probably be my one contribution to the poet's corner.

Please excuse its shortcomings, and forgive me if I delete this thread later in a bout of fear, embarrasment, or sobriety.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

oh my...

Bubba, please do not delete this.

That was such a raw and honest emotion charged piece straight from the heart.

My princess retired to her castle,
My angel ascended to her heaven.

Absolutely beautiful.

Im glad you shared. Now you just have to write one for Bebe to win that date!!
wink.gif

lol zoomanda. If he writes one similar to that, then I will be one lucky Bebe! Bubba, that was great... like Zoomanda said, please don't delete it!

A breeze kicked up
And played with her hair,
Those gorgeous blonde strands
That frame the face
That to this day is etched
In the back of my eyelids,
An image I see
Every time I blink

This is the part I like most of all. You're really good at this! Keep it up!

that's poetry man, I could feel every moment like I was there living it... it's moments like that you never want to forget, we all live them, so many of them we let slip away from our memories, I am constantly trying to collect moments and thoughts for my own posterity, something about not wanting to forget how passionate and full of life I am at this age in my life... but you know what?poem or no poem, I have a feeling that moment will stay with you forever... and thanks for reminding me why I love to write poetry so much

-Wanderer
smile.gif

Thankyou for sharing that, Bubba... it was beautiful, and it felt real... I felt it, and I'm a chick...
smile.gif
Makes me wish I'd had a moment like that...
And yes, please don't delete it... not fair that you're able to do that but we can't...
biggrin.gif

This really deserves to live here, as do you!

------------------
I'm not the only one, staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'd find
If you took a look inside...

I'm glad you all liked it.
smile.gif
I actually walked by the spot today, on the way to my car. The dorm was being renovated all last year, so I hadn't been by there too much. She's not there anymore, but not much else has changed...

Anyway, I was being honest: that is pretty much the one original poetic thought I've had. I do come by here a lot, but I don't forsee myself adding another poem anytime soon. Sorry, Bebe.
wink.gif

Honestly, my heart's not into it.

Things with "her" got kinda, um, complicated shortly after that -- after she realized I like her. I took a huge risk and told her exactly how I felt, and I was for some reason fortunate enough to still have her for a friend.

A year later, Winter 1999, I had the worst quarter at college. My programming assignments caused five all-nighters in the course of a month -- while I also was taking a really difficult physics course and a non-trivial statistics course. I was *this* close to a nervous breakdown, and she took me out to eat at my favorite restaurant, the Mellow Mushroom pizzaria, and she let me vent for about two hours.

Italian sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions, I think.
smile.gif

And that following fall, she had broken up with her boyfriend. She needed someone to talk to, and I was there for her. We bought a couple smoothies (at a place very close the Mushroom) and she drove us all over town -- we probably spent an hour just driving and talking.

She soon made up with her boyfriend, and I started hearing from her less and less. We had our 21st birthdays coming up after this past spring -- a couple weeks apart -- and she promised she'd get in touch with me after spring break and we'd hang out. That promise quickly evaporated.

I think I ran into her once spring quarter, I've talked to her once this semester, and I think she's sent me one painfully short email in about seven months.

The possible reasons she's not talking to me spend a lot of time in the back of my mind. I've let go of a lot of the hard feelings, but I still don't want to be kept in the dark like this.

So, for obvious reasons, I haven't been in a very creative mood.

The approach of ATYCLB is helping me reconsider things.

What you don't have, you don't need it now.

I know should probably just let it go -- odd as it seems, it almost feels like its the will of God that I should just turn around. Still, I feel this need to find out what happened, regardless of the cost. And either way, I hope to resolve things soon.

(Probably waaay too much info... but in the worst case, this thread can quickly, um, disappear.
smile.gif
)

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 10-15-2000).]

Bubba, that is really a vexing conundrum. I hope it works out, for a guy with your amount of thought, wit and character does not deserve to go without forever. I often wonder why all the buff boofheads (para rhyme!!
biggrin.gif
) of the world get with the girls while others with far more redeeming characteristics like yourself are left drifting. Still, keep on 'chasing the dream' as it were. On the poetry, great job, sometimes its one of the best emotional outlets you can have.

All is not lost mate.

------------------
bombs and cricket are both great levellers.

Bubba, the thread-mafia... He can make them... disappear... you know... *wink wink*
biggrin.gif

But yeah... that's a hell of a situation. I think "closure" is one of the most annoying and overused words in pop psychology, but they have a point about it... people need to see the ending of things they've been emotionally involved with. All the wondering drives us nuts.
This was especially underlined for me today at a St. John's meeting (St. John's Ambulance, emergency first aid organisation) where we had a talk about how first aiders react to and cope with really severe injuries in patients, wanting to find out what happens after the casualty goes to hospital, or even if the casualty dies, helping the family or whatever... this is something I hope I'll never have to deal with personally, but if I stay in St. Johns, I probably will...
Which is COMPLETELY off-topic, sorry...
smile.gif
Let's just say I have some inkling as to how you feel, and I sypmathise... This is a great venting-place!

I heard from her this afternoon.

biggrin.gif

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just paranoid -- that I'm coming to expect failure with all women and betrayal from all women, even the sweetest girl I know, a girl who has honestly been very good to me.

I take things WAAAAY too personally, and my faith always fades five minutes before it would have been confirmed -- and I hate myself for my lack of faith.

She has always proven my pessimism and cynicism dead wrong. If I could only start letting go of my pessimism and cynicism...

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Thanks for the support, Bebe.

...and for the blatant attempt to get me to humilate myself with another poem.
wink.gif

Actually, in terms of pefectly expressing the need to let go, somebody already beat me to it.

I wonder who it could be? (Click here.)

And, no, I'm not comparing my love life to heroin.
smile.gif

There actually a few songs that help: the one I linked, "Surrender", "Gone", "Beautiful Day", "Always", and "Elevation".

And the fact that the last three songs are off ATYCLB and its first single is a very good sign.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 10-17-2000).]

Well, here it is, my 1000th post.

I know it doesn't mean much, but I've decided to return to this thread and dedicate my 1000th post to my angel.

Around the time of my one moment of poetry, I noticed that her dorm was directly across the parking lot from mine -- and I recalled a song that was released less than a year before, the b-side to "Staring at the Sun".

For my unnamed angel...

I want to reach out over the loch
And feel your hand across the water
Walk with you along an unapproved road
Not looking over my shoulder

I want to see, and I want to hear
To understand your fears
But we're north and south of the river

I've been doing it wrong all of my life
This holy town has turned me over
A young man running from what he didn't understand
The wind from the loch just get colder, colder

There was a badness that had its way
But love wasn't lost, love will have its day
North and south of the river

Can we stop playing these older tunes
Darling I don't have the answer
I want to meet you where you are
I don't need you to surrender

'Cause there's no feeling that's so alone
As when the one you're hurting is your own

Some high ground is not worth taking
Some connections are not worth making
There's an old church bell no longer ringing
Some old songs are not worth bringing
North...

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Bubba,

Well, you certainly sound like a wonderful guy! I think if this girl knew how you felt about her, she'd feel very lucky. Come on, you've dedicated your 1000th interference post to her! Gotta love that
smile.gif

Seeing that these feelings are truly coming from your heart, I know that I would be right in saying that you deserve this very special person! Oh, and wonderful commemoration song btw! North and South of the River... can't go wrong there! Good luck with this girl Bubba!
smile.gif

PS: you're right, bad is a perfect example
smile.gif

Damn.

I'm not going to use this thread to report on every detail of my (lack of a) love life, BUT I went to a meeting hoping to see her tonight. Of course, she wasn't there, and the meeting was otherwise a complete washout.

(sigh)

I've got to get myself together.
I've got stuck in a moment, and I can't get out of it.

The good news is I now have another great song of letting go.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Bubba dear, I loved your poem and commiserate with your situation. Hopefully an uplifting rush of wind will soon solve your current problem and prompt you to try your hand at another poem...your talent is too good to waste!

(And WHY have I not been writing lately, hmmmm?!)

------------------
"And it's already gone too far..."

hey Bubba, I liked your poem
smile.gif

I also write poetry, but none that I'm willing to share. At present, anyway!
but I was moved to write by the subsequent discussion of 'closure' and the problems that result if you dont get it. Thought I'd share my experiences...(though I may regret this!)

When I was at high school I had two best friends. We were like the three musketeers, we did everything together, for two years. Then, when we were 16, things started going wrong. They started going to parties, drinking really heavily, wearing lots of makeup, etc, and kinda left me behind. But I still thought we were friends, we had such a special bond between us.

Then one day when I came to school, they weren't talking to me. They had decided not to hang around with me anymore. It was like I no longer existed to them. They back-stabbed me to our mutual friends, told my secrets, made fun of me, etc.

For the next 18 months they acknowledged me only when necessary, eg when we had classes together. I tried my best to fix things; to find out what (if anything) I had done to deserve such treatment. No-one could tell me. I simply couldn't get any answers, and it drove me crazy. (and yes, this period in my life, like so many others, had a U2 theme-song: So Cruel) It was an absolutely awful experience; even five years later, writing about it gives me a lump in my throat.

One of them left the country after school finished; the other came to the same university as me, and continued to look through me whenever our paths crossed. Almost four years passed; I had more or less resigned myself to never knowing, never understanding what happened, never speaking to them again.

Then the overseas one came home; we were at the same party, and just to see what would happen I said 'hi' to her. Then, a few minutes later, the most amazing thing happened: she came up to me, took my hands in hers, and said "I am so, so sorry for what we did to you, it was really horrible and you didnt deserve it". You can believe I was speechless!!!

We had a long talk, during which I asked lots of questions, seeking the answers that had eluded me for so long. And you know what? There was no reason, no excuse, no justification. I was glad to know for sure that I hadnt done anything, but I wasnt satisfied; it didnt seem enough for four years of pain and frustration. I wanted more.

She asked me to be her friend again; I had to think long and hard about it. In the end, I decided that I just had to accept that it had happened for no real cause, and that it couldnt be fixed by either of us. So I agreed to be friends with her, and today, 18 months or so later, she is one of my closest friends.

We still argue, and sometimes when I'm mad with her I'll bring it up, or have a dig at her. But now I understand much better what was going on at the time; how she was desperately unhappy, how she was angry at the world and took it out on me. And I can see that I was immature, and naive, and didnt realise the extent of her problems. We've both changed a great deal, grown up a lot, and so our friendship is more solid the second time around I think.

(the other friend, by the way, is still a catty, petty bitch, by all accounts, and I have given her up as a lost cause. Ironically, the two of them had fallen out less than a year after they screwed me over!)

The point of this (very long - sorry!) story is that closure doesnt always happen, no matter how hard you seek it. Nothing ever gets resolved perfectly; happy endings usually only occur in stories. *BUT* you can find peace within yourself, and make peace with the other person. You can't undo the past, and you can't live in it either. (I know, i've tried both options) You have to move on, and make the best of what you've got, right now. Sorry if this story has turned out new agey or preachy; just thought people could learn something from it.
Mermaid
smile.gif

Yeah, Scappy, hopefully things'll change for me. Even so, it will probably be a long, long time before another thought that beautiful will be put before me. I mean, I didn't really create that thought -- this beautiful image, the image of the girl I'm crazy about looking right at me and through me, was put before me, and this poetry was just my clumsy reaction to it.

Anyway, thanks for posting that, Mermaid. I appreciate you going out on a limb and telling me (and everyone else) about that part of your life.

Ultimately, I understand people can drift apart without closure -- it's happened more than once or twice in my lifetime. But there are times that I HAVE to try, even if the attempt makes things worse.

I try to think that I'm principled enough to not let one individual change my character, but one individual got to me, a long time ago: "The Beauty."

When I was in first grade, I had my first crush on a gorgeous blonde in second grade. At first, I didn't know her name, so I only referred to her as "The Beauty". Even when I found out her name, I found it easier to call her by that name -- and even now I'd rather not say her name on this forum.

She had me completely. I could barely walk near her, much less talk to her. We were in the same school for eleven years, and I probably talked to her -- said "hello" -- no more than THREE TIMES.

A friend or two tried to tell me that it wouldn't have worked, that she wasn't very nice. I didn't believe them.

I saw her in a WalMart a year after her graduation, and she had already married a boyfriend from high school. For once, I was able to talk to her and tell her I went to the same school.

Then, I went to college, and met the girl in the poem. Because she was and is so sweet and so beautiful, I don't want to lose her. And because I lost The Beauty through complete inaction, I promised myself I wouldn't let that happen with "her".

So, once or twice, I've risked losing her through my actions, but at least I haven't lost her through inaction. And if I end up losing her completely, without closure, without anything, I will have to accept that I did everything I could.

To quote the great Willie Nelson..

I could cry for the time I've wasted,
But that's a waste of time and tears
And I know just what I'd change
If I went back in time somehow
But there's nothin' I can do about it now

As an aside...

A couple years later, I ran into her little sister (I think two years my junior), who had just started attending Auburn University. I told her what I couldn't tell her sister; I told her about my crush.

She told me that her sister, The Beauty, was really very shy -- and that I SHOULD HAVE TALKED TO HER.

If I'm ever granted a second chance... I will tell her about my crush.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 10-27-2000).]

Stumbled across this old thread, and I realized I had left things incomplete...

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
I try to think that I'm principled enough to not let one individual change my character, but one individual got to me, a long time ago: "The Beauty."

When I was in first grade, I had my first crush on a gorgeous blonde in second grade. At first, I didn't know her name, so I only referred to her as "The Beauty". Even when I found out her name, I found it easier to call her by that name -- and even now I'd rather not say her name on this forum.

She had me completely. I could barely walk near her, much less talk to her. We were in the same school for eleven years, and I probably talked to her -- said "hello" -- no more than THREE TIMES.

A friend or two tried to tell me that it wouldn't have worked, that she wasn't very nice. I didn't believe them.

I saw her in a WalMart a year after her graduation, and she had already married a boyfriend from high school. For once, I was able to talk to her and tell her I went to the same school.

A couple years later, I ran into her little sister (I think two years my junior), who had just started attending Auburn University. I told her what I couldn't tell her sister; I told her about my crush.

She told me that her sister, The Beauty, was really very shy -- and that I SHOULD HAVE TALKED TO HER.

If I'm ever granted a second chance... I will tell her about my crush.

This past summer, I got my second chance.
biggrin.gif

My mom and I were shopping for furniture for my apartment, and I saw her there in the furniture store, with her husband and her young son.

I talked to her and reminded her that we went to the same school. I asked what she was up to, and she said that she was working at a bank, raising her kid, etc. She seemed genuinely happy, and I was glad to see her doing so well when so many from our school fell apart after graduation. Basically, there was a few seconds of small talk, and we then went back to our separate ways.

I then realized the chance I was letting slip away, and I walked back to her and told her everything: that I had the hugest crush on her from first grade to eleventh grade, and I was NEVER able to talk to her.

I told her all of this in front of her husband and her son.

She was, erm, a bit shocked that a boy from school revealed his crush of eleven years - just over five years after her high school graduation. Frankly, she blushed. A LOT.

She said she was sorry we never talked (which I honestly believe), and I told her that it wasn't her fault (which is the complete truth).

At that, we parted ways, and the story of the Beauty and me has now ended quite happily.

In news also related to this thread...

I'm still friends with the girl I wrote the poem about. In fact, we emailed each other last week, which is what prompted me to find this thread to begin with.

Things are good; I missed writing her, and she apparently missed me, too.

And, in case you missed the occasional mention of it in other posts, I have found the love of my life, a girl who's as beautiful, kind, and smart as the muse from freshman year. But more than that, our souls fit together; we feel so complete together that I now don't know how I ever lived without her.

It seems like my experiences with the Beauty and my friend from college prepared me for my true love. My failure in talking to the former kept me committed to getting up after every defeat, and my friendship with the latter helped keep my heart from hardening during college.

Still, I've yet to have another moment of poetry. When we're together, I'm too deliriously happy to think. When we're apart (especially now, when we're 900 miles apart), my heart is too heavy to be moved to poetry. The part of my soul that sees beauty is with her.

But I've realized there's something better than the poetry of a man who's loved and lost: the assurance of a man who is loved in return, the confidence that we are going to spend our lives together.

<---Zooropamanda (my account wont work)

Bubba, I remember following this all that time ago. I bet it felt good to get it off your chest and tell her.

What you just wrote about your girlfriend...
She's a lucky girl to actually have the someone who loves her and knows her like you say you do.
Don't ever let things get in the way or let it become too hard because of the distance.
You have something very special, something that many people never have or have and stupidly lose.

Thankyou for sharing this again.
You've made me smile today.
Amanda

Bubba--your poem is so beautiful--I love it!!
And I relate to your story in some ways--and after having my heart smashed in a bizillion pieces last August, I hope that I will someday be as happy as you are now.

smile.gif

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

Wow that was quite the read. Thanks for bringing it up to the top. A lot of what you said and what Mermaid said really rings true for me. You never want to hear of others hurting or suffering, but sometimes you can find comfort in knowing you are not alone.
I am so happy you found the love of your life.
smile.gif
Great news.
After all my heartaches, I still believe in love and I still even believe that it can happen to me one day. You are an inspiration!

Thanks, everyone.

Zooropamanda, I do know how lucky I am to have the love of my life; even when she's 900 miles away, the thought of us spending our lives together makes me happier than I've ever been.

Fortunately, we've survived the first semester, which was hopefully the most difficult - and we talk on the phone about six times a week.
smile.gif

(As an aside, I emailed you about the Zooropamanda account. Check your address for "Charlie's Angel" and "Zooropamanda.")

LadyLemon, I hope you do find somebody that makes you deliriously happy. If it takes a while, don't worry; it's better to be alone than with someone who makes you miserable.

And, Angel, THANK YOU. I have never been called an "inspiration".
smile.gif

Because of the Beauty, I learned to never stop trying; but because of some heartache in high school, I also learned that some people are not worth asking out. It's difficult: you have to care about someone enough to ask him/her out, but not so much that a rejection destroys you. It's a delicate balance, with a healthy existence somewhere between desparation and giving up - a balance that I never did *quite* work out myself.

And, as a final note of odd coincidence: when I was little, I would go to a park near my grandparents' house. As I discovered last year that her parents live pretty close to that park, too - and her dad took her to the park all the time.

It's altogether likely that we were in the same park playground at the same time.

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since,
Since she was a little girl
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her
In a pram they pushed her by

Woo-hoo, my, how you've grown
Well it's been
It's been
It's been a little while

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 01-29-2002).]

Bubba, I remember this poem very well, I'm surprised I never replied. I just wanted to say I am so happy for you that you have found her and that you found the courage to be open about your old crush. Actually this story is a bit of an inspiration to me as well because I am myself searching for the balance you spoke of and I think when I find it things might work out a lot better.
But anyway, yes I am happy, both for you and the girl you speak of. I hope everything goes well
smile.gif

Bubba --
I for one am really glad you put this link in EYKIW, 'cause I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. It's a great story, in large part, my dear, due to the telling of it. You know how lucky you are; I hope she knows how lucky SHE is to have a fella of truly humble gratitude (a most attractive quality) and subtle discernment.
I trust the distance is temporary. Your joy is palpable, and your life is a poem. God bless both of you.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Deb D

------------------
in memoriam
Peter Gzowski (1934-2002)

He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

And now, things get a bit odd.

The following is an approximate timeline fitting the life of this thread into the context of my own life.

Oct 14, 2000: I posted "My One Moment of Poetry."

Oct 16, 2000: Finally heard from the girl, as shown in a post to this thread.

Sometime that week, I met a girl outside my dorm. A freshman and new resident, she was helping with the dorm's Homecoming decorations; we talked for a short while before I let her get back to what she was doing. Of course, I didn't know it at the time, but she was the love of my life.

Oct 27, 2000: I wrote the last post to the thread, until I found it again this past week.

Oct 30, 2000: I went to a Halloween party for the on-campus residents, held just outside my dorm. I ran into the girl again, hung out the entire party, and came to the conclusion that she was very cute.

Nov 11, 2000: On the day of the Auburn/Georgia game - the last home football game before graduation - I had planned to go to a friend's apartment and grill steaks; the two of us would then go directly to the afternoon game. On the way to the apartment, I ran into the girl again, and asked if she wanted to hang out after the game. She did, and after Auburn beat Georgia in overtime, the two of us hung out in my room, watching TV.

Nov 18, 2000: The day of the first Auburn-Alabama game held in Tuscaloosa (the home of the Univ. of Alabama) in a century: the Iron Bowl, the Uncivil War, THE GAME. That week, I had asked the girl out to lunch at my favorite pizza place - a lunch date. We returned to the dorm, joined everyone else in front of the living room TV, and watched Auburn shut out Alabama. We then faced the cold rain and rolled downtown with toilet paper, an Auburn tradition. She, my roommate, and I went to Subway for dinner; then, I took her out to a movie. Just before the movie started, I asked her out - and she said yes.

For the record, my first word in reply was, "Really?"

November 18th, 2000 was the greatest day in my life. On a scale of 1 to 10, Auburn beating Bama is a 12. Hearing the girl who would become the love of my life say she would go out with me made it a 15 out of 10. Having both in one day? Too high to measure.

And all this happened in just over a month after posting that poem.

There are things that are even odder than this, but that can wait for another time.

My 2000th Post... for KNM.

Please forgive me
If I act a little strange
For I know not what I do
Feels like lightning running through my veins
Everytime I look at you

Everytime I look at you

Help me out here
All my words are falling short
And there's so much I want to say
Want to tell you just how good it feels
When you look at me that way