Late night inspiration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scappy

The Fly
No place

She knows what it is to be cold.
Alone in the night, the stars, frozen tears, fall to the ground and shatter;
the moon stands back, pointing to the sun
but the son is nowhere to be found.
You are gone.

When you left to find yourself in the night
did you know her name was Eileen?
Did you open your arms and close your eyes
to find it was only a dream?
There's no place for you here now.

We saw it before it happened.
Burning crosses, blood on the snow, broken windows and hate on the radio;
the angels coming and going
talking of sex and the six o'clock news.
You are gone.

did you know you wouldn't come back?
Did you place your mask upon your face
and laugh as it started to crack?
There's no place for you here now.

He didn't believe it at first.
Kneeling in the aisle, a prayer on his lips and eyes lifted to heaven,
he found the moon and the sun out of sight
and the stars all broken on the ground.
You are gone.

did you know she would wait for your return?
Did you turn your back on the children you loved
and cry as they started to burn?

Is there no place for you here now?
Are you gone?
Are you gone?

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

[This message has been edited by scappy (edited 08-29-2000).]

my heart was breaking as I read that poem, in short, it was beautiful . . . thanks . . . I will get back to you later when I can actually sit and write my thoughts to both you and Alisaura . . .

I'm glad you both enjoyed it, but I wish I had a more uplifting offering for you. Guell I'll have to work on one...

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

scappy,
I must admit (reluctantly) that your poem has slightly perplexed me, it is quite elusive, Eileen????? I really have no answer for who that might be refering to??? But I even so, I am not sure if this song is an answer to the final song of POP or a companion to the first song on ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND . . . or something completely different (I like ambiguity if you hadn't noticed by now)

Wanderer, I like ambiguity, too, so I took a page from Bono's book, and decided to write a poem that refers to more than one thing. It could be about any man, or it could be about Jesus. If you want to work it out for yourself, don't read on: I'm about to explain it a bit.

I'd say it's primarily an answer to WUDM (although it's initial incarnation was about a woman whose husband had left her for another woman), but it's also examining Jesus as a man, rather than the Christ (a la UTEOTW), and the results of his attempt to embrace Nighttown (a la TTTYAATW). I mean, what would happen if he decided to trade it all in for a normal human life?! Eileen is just the female name that jumped into my head at that point. She stands for the women found in bars.

I think maybe I was too vague in expressing all of that?

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

it's got that Wim Wenders feel to it, do you know that story? "Wings of Desire" (which was re-made into "City of Angels"), was about an angel who throws it all away to be mortal and . . . well, if you don't know the rest I won't spoil it . . . but I sensed the first few stanzas were speaking to something different than the last few . . . like we you went from a bad marriage situation with a mortal, to Jesus leaving his children and finding that he was no longer welcome when he returned (like answering Bono's call in WUDM, saying I'm back, but no one wants me here)

but you threw me off with Eileen and the 4th line of the 1st Stanza with "son" that clued me to the idea that you were refering to Jesus and God . . . but that's it, it brilliantly written, you can't quite interpret it how you want to (you know how we're all tought to find an absolute answer, or at least the most likely one)

can't wait to read more!

hey, scappy! i came over to read this upon your request as i love WUDM too! its fantastic! really sad, kinda harrowing. Bono would be proud. one BIG 'why'?

------------------
Bono + Fudge - Spoon = Fun

Yeah, WUDM is their most haunting song, I think, and it always leads me on these wild late night ponderings. This time I actually wrote down my thoughts!

Hope you come back and see what's happening here. We'd love some extra input!

------------------
Shelly Caplinger
"Dream out loud"

great imagery shelly
'the moon stands back, pointing to the sun'
I love when inanimate objects come to life.

this place is fun, you know, its funny, you start to realise how much Bono is reflected in your poetry when you read other fans' work.

Back
Top Bottom