In Memory of Bob Hewson (What is the most poignant statement Bono has ever uttered?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanover

The Fly
On the 1st of September, 2001, U2 wound up the Euripean leg of their Elevation tour playing in front of 80,000 fans at Slane Castle in Co. Meath.

What was most remarkable about this concert was the fact that only the day prior to it Bono laid to rest his father, Bob Hewson.

It was an emotional affair.

When the opening chords of "Out Of Control" echoed around this spectacular open air venue. Bono addressed the crowd in exactly the same way as he'd done 18 years previously.

"I'd like to thank Philip Lynott for letting us open the show.

We're a band from the Northside of Dublin.

We're called U2.

This is our first single...we hope you like it!".

And into the song U2 embarked.

Around midway through it...Bono stopped, the edge eased playing, just Adam's bass could be heard as Bono paid tribute to his late father and in those few moments...scarcely a dry eye was to be seen.

The dialogue went as follows.

"Father, I need a lend of five hundred pounds - cos, we're gonna go over to London, we're gonna score ourselves a record deal...and when we get our record deal, we're not gonna stay in London, we're not gonna go to New York City - we're gonna stay and base our crew in Dublin...cos these people...this is our tribe! But I still need a lend of ?500. What do you say - my old man - ?500...I want to thank my old man for that ?500.

I want to thank Larry Mullen's father for ?500.

The Edge's mother and father for ?500.

Adan Clayton's family for ?500.

And by now you've probably all given us about ?500 each...so thank you!

I'm out of control, I'm out of control, I'm out of control, I'm out of control yeah!"

And so it was...as the show went on fron arguably the greatest group in the world.

Rest In Peace - Bob Hewson.

And thank you for giving Bono that ?500.

Is there any moments that will forever remain with you from a U2 concert?

Awww, that is the best story. I'm so glad Bono's dad took a chance on him and believed in him. If it wasn't for him, we might not be talking about u2; it might not even exist.

i always get choked up hearing that part about the 500# bit. loved it:heart:

Hi U2girl. My own experience of that moment is from being there in Slane. But I've looked about and there's a website johndaly.dna.ie and there is some songs recorded at slane for download there. I haven't tried it out personally but it may be worth investigating. I do hope it works. I still haven't made enough posts to include hyperlinks to websites yet.

Back
Top Bottom