I didn't write this, but it's FUCKING BRILLIANT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
So much so, that I couldn't help but post it for you all to see:

We emerged from youth all wide-eyed like the rest. Shedding skin faster than skin can grow, and armed with hammers, feathers, blunt knives: words, to meet and to define and to... but you must know the same games that we played in dirt, in dusty school yards has found a higher pitch and broader scale than we feared possible, and someone must be picked last, and one must bruise and one must fail. And that still twitching bird was so deceived by a window, so we eulogized fondly, we dug deep and threw its elegant plumage and frantic black eyes in a hole, and rushed out to kill something new, so we could bury that too. The first chapters of lives almost made us give up altogether. Pushed towards tired forms of self immolation that seemed so original. I must, we must never stop watching the sky with our hands in our pockets, stop peering in windows when we know doors are shut. Stop yelling small stories and bad jokes and sorrows, and my voice will scratch to yell many more, but before I spill the things I mean to hide away, or gouge my eyes with platitudes of sentiment, I'll drown the urge for permanence and certainty; crouch down and scrawl my name with yours in wet cement.

(the preceeding were the lyrics to "None of the Above" by the Weakerthans.. who are a totally awesome band from winnepeg.) Feel free to visit the website and check out the lyrics to all their other songs, because they're soooo good.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 02-03-2002).]

that really is very good isnt it skeek? thanks for showing us this great band you keep raving about! Im tempted to go check them out.

That was very hard, very reality, nothing pretty.
Whats the music like?

Their music is pretty variable.. it all sounds unproduced and live, but still polished and played excellently, no fancy effects or anything, just the 4 instruments they're playing (usually bass, guitar and drums of various sorts, but they play many others at various times). Some people describe them as Emo, but they don't really fit into that genre.. sort of a cross between alternative, punk, emo, with a bit of folk and country sometimes. Most songs are pretty quiet and melodic.. some of the songs are much louder and almost anthemic (pamphleteer), and some move pretty fast and pack a punch (wellington's wednesday, diagnosis, Watermark), some are a little spacey (without mythologies)...

but through it all they are all very personal, haunting, and sometimes a little depressing. One thing I also always notice about them is how the lyrics are so down to earth and vivid in their descriptions.. it gives me a feeling of nostalgia.

Really great music for all sorts of occasions, especially for travelling in quiet past highway lines blurred together, and just letting them take over your senses as you sit and contemplate things.

And of course one reason I'm really excited about them right now (though I've listened to them a lot since before the summer) is that they are actually, for real, coming to play in lonely old London Ontario.. on valentines day no less. I started bounding about my house with s wide grin plastered across my face and a strong urge for other people to care when I happened to glance at the Upcoming Shows list for Call The Office (bar here in town)!

Back
Top Bottom