God's Greatest Poet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
I do think that most American posters here will not have heard of perhaps the most sublime poet ever to have graced this world, and that is not a criticism, its an observation, since I have conversed with some very well read American readers, and have, at best, found Federico Garcia Lorca as obscure.

Many Europeans, however, may be familiar with his work. Particularly if you're British or Spanish. I am both. :)

Federico Garcia Lorca was born in Granada, and is easily the most succesful and famous author ever to have come from Spain, with the exception of Miguel de Cervantes. He started off as a playwright, was best friends with Salvador Dali, and had his own theatre company. He wrote songs for Flamenco, toured all acorss Spain and South America, and wrote poetry as well as non-fictional writings.

He was a homosexual, and this is something that is relevant to his art, as well as his life. It is also, because of his homosexuality, that he was shot during the Spanish Civil War, at the hands of Fascist forces. Though he was not overtly political, he was a Leftist, purely against Franco's rise to power, and was very much in favour of the restoration of the Spanish Republic. His poetry began to influence many people, and was used as the collective 'voice of the people'; the more exposure he received, the more he endangered himself. He was arrested at his friend's home without charge, and shot in some back alley way in Granada.

Obviously, this made him a martyr, and in some ways epitomised the tyranny and evil of the Fascist regime. A regime, that ultimately won. His poetry was sublime as it was honest. It went through stages of surrealism, post-modernism, classic odes to forgotten structures, while completely creating new ones. The entire scope of his work is almost impossible to record here.

However, I will today give you a poem of his. As I intend to do everyday. Please do read his poetry, please do write any comments you have about it, and if there are any questions that come up, ask them here! Enjoy...

New Heart

Like a snake, my heart
has shed its skin.
I hold it here in my hand,
full of honey and wounds.

The thoughts that nested
in your folds, where are they now?
Where the roses that perfumed
both Jesus Christ and Satan?

Poor wrapper that damped
my fantastical star,
parchment gray and mournful
of what I loved once but love no more!

I see fetal sciences in you,
mummified poems, and bones
of my romantic secrets
and old innocence.

Shall I hang you on the wall
of my emotional museum,
beside my dark, chill,
sleeping irises of evil?

Or shall I spread you over the pines
-suffering book of my love-
so you can learn about the song
the nightingale offers the dawn?

Federico Garcia Lorca - (1898 - 1936)

I saw a film about him recently, great writer/poet, I like his stuff, but I really don't consider him to be the "most sublime poet ever to have graced the world" though

Very nice. I didn't know a lot of that stuff about Lorca. And his poetry is very powerful, filled with stark imagery.

Melon

foray;

The film of which you speak of is not actually about Lorca, but a film about another poet by the name of Arenas. The only real film made about Lorca was a film entitled 'The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca' starring Andy Garcia. While it was a mediocre film, and a great performance by Garcia, it was a film more concerned with his death, not his life and his life work.

Ant.

P.S. - And yes, foray, the work I give to you are translations. Obviously, loads is lost in the translation, but I am giving you the best ones from my extensive Lorca Library. :)

Last edited:
His Beloved Sleeps on the Breast of the Poet (from SONNETS OF DARK LOVE)

You cannot ever know how much I love you
because you sleep in me, as leep to all.
Weeping, I conceal you, persecuted
by a voice of penetrating steel.

A norm that unsettles both flesh and star
transfixes my afflicted breast,
and turbid words have bitten
the wings of your unflinching spirit.

A crowd of people leaps in the gardens
eager to glimpse your body and my agony,
on glowing horses with green manes.

But sleep, sleep on forever, my beloved.
Hear my broken blood in the violins!
Look out, for even now they lie in wait!

Back
Top Bottom