Flying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
This is a song by the Samples. The lyrics were written by Sean Kelly, the lead singer, ten minutes after he found out about the Pan Am Lockerbie bombing (for some younger members here, it was a terrorist bombing in the 80's that happened on a US airline Pan Am that was flying from London's Heathrow airport to JFK if I'm not mistaken. Huge sections of the plane fell on the town of Lockerbie Scotland. It was a horrific scene. Passengers still strapped in their seats. They probably didn't die of the blast. Those images are still emblazoned in my memory.) Anyway, I think they lyrics are especially appropriate this week....

Flying

we were looking
looking through the window at the moon
we were hoping
hoping we?d be back real soon
we were flying
thirty thousand feet above the earth
we?ll be spending it
spending it on our knees in some church

we?ve been through the hardest times
and they're coming back too soon
I?ll be waiting in an aiport line
staring at the moon

we were coming back
coming back for holidays
we?ll be spending it
spending it fast asleep in our graves
we were falling
we?ll be spending it
spending it on our knees in some church

we?ve been through the hardest times
and they?re coming back too soon
I?ll be standing in airport line
standing next to you

we were flying
thirty thouseand feet above the earth
we were flying
we were falling
we were flying
Just flying
Just flying
Just flying
Just flying

[This message has been edited by popkidu2 (edited 09-14-2001).]

Thats *awesome* ,PopKid... THANKS for posting that.
I can imagine what they went through too...I vaguely remember the incident, i dont like to think too deeply about what goes on, what happens to people in those kind of situations. It affects me too much.
frown.gif

I'm so glad to learn of this song though. Incredible words.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Part of my problem this week has been thinking too much about stuff like what the people on those planes must have thought when they realized what they were going to crash into. That is really the stuff of nightmares for me. I'm glad they're at peace now, but I have a really hard time dealing with the thought of people experiencing extreme fear or pain before dying. Hopefully they didn't realize, probably being at the back of the plane. I'm sorry...I shouldn't even start this train of thought again, it doesn't help me or anyone
frown.gif

------------------
I can't believe the news today
I can't close my eyes and make it go away

Back
Top Bottom