Demons Reign Under Godless Smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diogenes

The Fly
Demons Reign Under Godless Smoke

?Quickly, run now!?
I ran across the street, panting, suddenly short of breath.
?Okay, we made it. I think that?s the house, I think.?
Dwayne laughed, ?You retard! You said I think twice.?
?Shut up! Anyways that is the house, wait who?s that?? Bobbie said with a look of sheer fright on his face. We all stood there under the golden beams of the street lamp, peering into the darkness in front of us.
?Maybe its Mani, it is his house?, I managed the few words though my shock.
?Ryan, Bobbie, Dwayne, Jason?, Mani nodded with every name he said as if it were the rhythm to some song only he could hear. ?The party is up there,? he pointed up a stoned pathway, ?keep it low until you get there my parents are home.?
?Sure thing Mani.?
We made our way up the stone path, slowly. The stones were uneven, and my head began to swing. The rock pressed against the sole of my shoe, molding it onto the contours of the ground.
?Hey what?s going on guys??
I shuffled my way over to the corner of the building, past the larger crowd of people. It was hot, and I felt too closed in. There defiantly wasn?t enough room on the deck for this many people.
?Yah, we just got here like two minutes ago.?
?Cool, so did I. So what?s going on Jay??
I couldn?t make out whom it was. The voice sounded familiar but the dim lighting of the deck was working against me. I tightened my vision and saw only a darkened figure, with no apparent features.
?Umm, yah,? I said, all the while trying to determine the identity of this mystery person, ? it?s going great.?
?You look tired, are you tired??
?Yah, I was just?? I drifted off into some rambling of incomprehensible phrases.
?What??
My eyes shifted suddenly to a match that had just been lit. Over to the other side of the deck I glared as the flame was drawn up to a poised cigarette. A quick pull in and it was lit, the end of it glowed red. It was a soft glow, which added an eerie subtle tint to the area around it.
?Jay, what the hell are you looking at? You idiot you?re so tired aren?t you??
I jerked my head back over to the mystery person. ?Yah, very, but umm?? Once again I drifted off. ?I better go find Ryan and the others. I?ll see you later, peace.?
I began to negotiate my way around the crowded deck towards the door. I could hear tidbits of conversations as I went, and the constant music in the background. The music started out as a low hum, but as I got closer to the source it became more defined. And with one guitar lick my head flew back and took I in a breath of cool air, my head felt light and my mind clear. Then in an instant, the music stopped. I opened my eyes, my vision was blurred and my hands were sweaty. My leg twitched, slightly, as I noticed the movements of the heads, hands, and bodies of the people all around me. I tingled as the cold air twisted its way into my now opened jacket. It felt as if a thousand grains of sand were being poured over my body.
?Jason! There you are!? I stepped though the doorway.
?Oh, hey Dwayne. Man, I?m so fried.?
?Yah, I can tell. It took you like ten minutes to get in here. Wait, do you hear that?? I paused to listen, for only a moment.
?What the f :censored: k is this Mani??
?Okay, everyone get upstairs. FAST!?
Everyone started walking instantaneously. We moved as one up the stairs. Like a body of water, sloshing its way in the opposite direction, going up a rocky slope. No breaks in our ranks could be found. Wedged between Dwayne and Bobbie I fumbled my way up the stairs.
?What?s going on down there??
?I don?t know, just get up stairs.?
The mass of bodies broke into lines as people poured into separate rooms.
?F :censored: king hell!?
?Shut up you idiot, his parents are down there!?
Anxiety set in and I was suddenly feeling aware of all the sounds and movements in the room. We were all standing like sardines in a can, pressed up against each other. In the corner was a demon, wielding a sack of evil. He sat down on a chair in the room and began working on his vessel. Hunkered over, his hands moved with indescribable precision.
?Shut it! You idiots!?
The volume in the room had risen to the breaking point. It was as if no one had remembered the prior warnings, and just continued their party. Their anxiety was forgotten and left at the bottom of the staircase.
And still the demon worked, his eyes shone with the same eerie red glow of the cigarette.
?It?s so hot in here.?
I hadn?t realized the heat until just then. My breathing quickened once again. I raised my forehand to my brow and wiped the sweat away.
The crackle of a match, the smell of smoke, and the demon was finished his vessel. I looked up to see a room that seemed to be tinged a light gray. The smoke ridiculed me as it danced around the light in the center of the room. My eyes burned as I stared at it, like a wild savage the smoke circled the light. Sweat dripped down my cheek, and still the smoke danced. My breathing was heavy and my vision once again blurred. My head fell forward into my awaiting hands, and still the smoke danced. The music was turned back on downstairs but the demon reigned in this room, and still the smoke mocked me in its savage dance.

Diogenes Block

Back
Top Bottom