Another gorgeous evening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
So I'm in a creative writing class this semester, and I've been writing some stuff for it, and I've decided to share it. Looking for any comments and suggestions. Most of the stuff, stories included, has to be pretty short so I can read it for critiques in class. Anyway, don't be too harsh. =)

---

Smoke filled the room – that was the first thing I noticed when I stepped through the nondescript door from the street. It was smaller than I had expected. Harsh-colored lights shone throughout the space, illuminating dancing couples. To my right was the “bar”, which appeared to be a chest of drawers with beverages on top.

The band on stage was nothing special. Just another group of kids who liked turning the volume on their amps to eleven and playing power chords. There was a singer, but nobody could hear him over the distortion coming from his feet. I don’t think anyone else there really cared. They were having fun.

The drummer was the most beautiful girl I had ever laid eyes on.

For half an hour, I looked left and right, but my gaze always came back to her, the angel who had two drumsticks instead of wings. She was wearing a black-and-white striped shirt, and she had golden hair that swished side to side as she went from the snare drum to the cymbal. She was the only one that made the band worth anything. She supplied a perfect backbeat. What was she doing with them, I found myself wondering. She was better than they were.

The noise came to an abrupt stop. She stood up, gazed out over the audience, and stepped backstage. My eyes anxiously followed her. Somebody put on a stereo. Nobody else appeared to have noticed that the music was over; their heads kept bouncing around.

I waited. It must have been an hour. My friend kept asking me to go. “Just a few more minutes,” I told him every time he asked. He talked to the girl in blue he had been dancing with while I stood alone, leaning against the wall, watching the stage door.

It opened, and she was in it, still clutching her drumsticks. My heart leapt. And they stepped out, arm in arm, that terrible drummer and the inaudible singer. What an awful show. What a waste of a night.

knox said:
And they stepped out, arm in arm, that terrible drummer and the inaudible singer. What an awful show. What a waste of a night.

This part is not very creative and I dont like it. The rest is tension building up, interesting stuff, you wonder what he and the drummer would talk later probably or something.. and then its just pffft. like in a teenie magazine "And they stepped out, arm in arm, that terrible drummer and the inaudible singer. What an awful show. What a waste of a night." i mean, fuck the singer? its interesting when "It opened, and she was in it, still clutching her drumsticks". one wonders: what kind of person is she? the nervous genius type? but then she´s just an idiot because she´s with an idiot and the guy is disappointed.

make the end of the story more creative. make her a lesbian or something.

^
I agree although suddenly casting the drummer as lesbian is too trite a ploy in my opinion.

The whole piece at least to my mind was fairly monotonous in its nature, the descriptive terminology was comparatively bland and although you can’t expect much else from the majority of work wrote within the confines of a contemporary setting you did manage to keep the narrative cohesive and flowing without the detrimental effects of a superfluous phrase or two.

In all honesty I guess I’m indifferent towards it although good luck with your class.

where does it say that the drummer is a lesbian? she walks out with the lead singer, who is a guy. :shrug:

i think it's pretty good, especially the end. it really captures how you can hold out hope for something for so long, only to have it sour so quickly.

nice work, knox. :up:

Back
Top Bottom