a letter to Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
If there was one chance in this world that I could get to write a letter to the great man Bono himself. this is how it would go.....

Dear Bono
I have been a dedicated fan of yours from the mid 80's I have great admiration and appreciation of the music you have made over the last few decades. And I also recognise you find yourself questioning a lot of what is going on in the world like I and probably millions of others have done, the injustice the unfairness
and you use your status and popularity to do what you can to do something about it. I admire you greatly for that as well that you can speak out.
I live in Belfast Northern Ireland so I have also witnessed how cruel and vindictive man can be to man, and felt the loss personally as I had close friends who became part of statistics of people who have been killed in the troubles, but even those I did not know personally in the 30 year conflict I shed tears watching their pain and sorrow and loss everytime I watched my local news and the many funeral processions that went along with it.. so I feel your frustration too

You are looking for answers, you believe in A god and I can see through your songs you keep asking why does he tolerate what is going on in the world and is he ever going to do anything about it. well what comforts me is that I know he is and I hope it comforts you too God has made this promise in psalm 37

Do not show yourself heated up because of the evildoers.
Do not be envious of those doing unrighteousness.

?2?For like grass they will speedily wither,
And like green new grass they will fade away

10?And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more;
And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be.

11?But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace

and in revelations he also makes this promise

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. 2?I saw also the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3?With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: ?Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4?And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away

I can hear you ask... but why isn't he doing it now... you have to remember God is a merciful God he has only tolarated the wickedness so those who want to follow and obey him can get this chance now.. before he does step in and take a hand in mans affairs he does not want people to die and be destroyed he wants them to be saved.. and he has not left us alone to figure out how to cope with living in this life without help he has given us the bible.. people might think that it is old fashioned and not applicable for our day.. but it has the best guidelines for us to live be to make it the kind of world where there is peace justice love and unity people keep crying out why doesnt God listen to us.. but do they ever stop to ask if they are listening to what God says
For example take this aids epidemic that is ravaging Africa that you feels so passionately about, if people actually followed the bible counsel about marrying one wife and shunning immorality AIDS would not exsist.. so whose fault is it .. God has given us his advice his commandments in the bible, if we ignore them and go our own way and decided we know what is best.. can we blame God when we abuse this wonderful gift of intimate love he give between two people to procreate and now it is lowered to some cheap form of intertainmant that gets exploited by the media that is is ok do what you like and never point out the consquences that it also brings death and suffering?
If people who claimed to follow Christ and his commandments to love our neighbours and our enemies put this into practice instead of loving their nationality more there would be no more wars.. so once more it is not Gods fault but mans on stubborn
head because once more he is ignoring what God wants
But God is only going to tolerate it for so long.. we are all living on borrowed time.. and as much as you look to the world Goverments you will never find the solution there men are imperfect they cannot solvce the problems in the world no matter how well meaning they are, because Satan is the ruler of this world and he will always thwart any such hopes, he is going down and he wants to bring us down with him that is why we need Gods hand in matters this is also taken from revelation

7?And war broke out in heaven: Mi?cha?el and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled 8?but it did not prevail, neither was a place found for them any longer in heaven. 9?So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him. 10?And I heard a loud voice in heaven say:

?Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God! 11?And they conquered him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their witnessing, and they did not love their souls even in the face of death. 12?On this account be glad, YOU heavens and YOU who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to YOU, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.?

This is the time we are living in now where the angle declared *woe for the earth* thats why it says in the last days these are the times we are living in if you read 2 Tim chapter 3

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2?For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3?having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4?betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5?having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6?For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7?always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

Pretty much describes the world as it is now.. but God is going to step in with this promise in Daniel chapter 2 verse 44...

And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite

This is the same kingdom we pray for in the Lords prayer when we say let your kingdom come let your will take place in heaven as on the earth
So Bono though you continue to fight for justice through trying to get changes made in Goverments ect.. I have every confidence that there will be changes but man won't bring them about only God and it is going to happen very soon so don't be too disheartened

doesnt God listen to us.. but do they ever stop to ask if they are listening to what God says

When you make statments like this it is an example for me of what is wrong with the church today. And this is from me who was raised in a very catholic family.

For example take this aids epidemic that is ravaging Africa that you feels so passionately about, if people actually followed the bible counsel about marrying one wife and shunning immorality AIDS would not exsist.

It was with a heavy heart I read what you write . Although we are entititled to our own opinions and I respect yours. My friend the epidemic is some much larger then this bias church view. There is so much Stigma surrounding this emergency it is sad to have to fight the stigma some chuches and religions have towards this as well.

Please tell that to all the orphaned children , look them in the eyes and tell them it is there fault I dare you.. My good it breaks my heart that people still think this way that people can't get past this. As Bono has said.. it is for the stupidest reasons that we are not yet winning this war. one is the fact of money another I would argue is the stigma such as you have stated

God does not need our help he did not as us to judge. He dives us this " Love thy Neighbour" and I see it as more then a religious ideal but as a rule for hummanity. He is not looking to make another him, he is looking for us to act as brothers and sisters "Let those among you through the first stone" Not one of us dare judge for it is not ours to do. It is ours to come to the Aid of our Brothers and Sisters.

The state of religion is so scary it can seperate and divide and it has been at the centre of wars. I have very great faith in God and in humanity , god gave us the greatest gift in love , it has the power to heal the world that is what we should believe in. trust God to do his job , as he has entrusted us to look after one another.

I was raised Catholic but have been very dissilusioned by the institute of Church.. not in God , in him I have great faith.

I don't at all beleive Bono is looking to blame God for anything I think he is looking to him to help understand to help heal . I think maybe if anything Bono may be disheartened by the church .

Friend God gives us the will to make changes to do what is right or for some of us to do what is wrong. Either way it is our free will . If we are to pray to the almighty that we each make the right choices.

It will be government, it will be society that turns the tide on this . God will judge us on how we handle this . But he will not solve it for us.

If you are looking for a good read, read the Screwtape letters by C.S Lewis. A great book and intersting thoughts on Christianity

Godspeed to you

in reply I would like to say I was not judging those who had AIDS or implying that it was their fault espicially the children they are just victims my heart goes out to them and those people in Africa and it makes me weep, and I feel but what makes me sadder is the fact its the world we live in, we have to take responsability for our actions, I am saying AIDs itself is a man made disease, it is spread through sexual contact blood transfusions needles ect...and what I was trying to point out that when our Creator give us laws from the bible it was because he knew what was best for us, that the reason he put a limit on sexual contact was because he knew this could happen all I am saying if we had listened to what he said perhaps AIDS would not exsist and those children wouldn't be orphaned or people dying.. I no way implied we should shun these people or ignore their plight, but it galls me that so many are dying of this horrible disease, whilst here in the western world Sex is promoted as a form of intertainment and fun. If I had the power to cure all those people tomorrow I would do it and I wouldnt ask a penny for it. But we are living in a system where money comes first it is ruled by greed
I greatly admire Bono that he can see this and tries to do something about it, but he is taking on more than just human indifference....as i said satan is the ruler in this world, and its going to take a greater power than us to sort it out

I think the greatest power is us we have to believe inthe power of the human spirit. I didnt mean to make it sould like you were wishing it on the people in Africa. I simply meant that it is way past laying blame.

Eduaction is key to this emergency yes.. AIDS ins a mane made disease and with God's will man will come together and solve this

I believe it will be the devils will and he will win if we will sit around and do nothing while this fire burns out of control. It is those thoughts that parlyze us from doing what is right and just.

This comes down to a human rights issue , if people in rich countries have access to these medicines that save there lives then so to should everyone.. the seperation of the have's and have nots is great it should not be. People should not be denied access to medicines, this is a human right. Countries should not be held to the debts of the past when they live on less then a dollar a day .

To follow that God does not place one country above another. But the message we are sending if we let this continue is that we do, we do and that is morally wrong

I totally agree with you it is beyond me that we have to beg and plead and bully to help poorer countries... that people even consider money a greater importance than a human life

Back
Top Bottom