Your turn-offs in opposite sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
men who value women only for their looks

HUGE turnoff

Yes! :up:

Likewise it irks me when women do the same thing. I've never understood why someone would rule out dating a great person because they don't look like they jumped out of the pages of a fitness magazine or GQ.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Turnoffs:

*men who drive expensive cars to in order to get the superficial lady.
1319525811365320x240x1x4.jpg

Do you like my new ride ?:wink:

Rono said:
Turn off;

Women who expect men to pay for the night out.

These were my rules when I was single:

If I had asked the guy out, I would always plan to pay for the entire date. If the guy had asked me out, I would always plan to pay for my half of the date. However, on every date I've gone on, the guy has always paid for everything...and I sure didn't complain. :D

Rono said:
Turn off;

Women who expect men to pay for the night out.

you're kidding, right?

i mean, you would actually ask a girl out and then expect her to pay?

for me, that would not only be ridiculous, but insulting, too. i have never been on a date where i have been expected to pay. sure, a night out with drinks and everything can get expensive, and there are times when i'll offer to buy the next round or leave the tip on an expensive dinner or whatever, but any decent date better try to stop me at least once before i insist.

*** guys who don't like U2 .. or any of my music
guys who are too self-absorbed
guys that are stupid/unintelligent
guys that are shorter than me (I'm 5'2.. so that's not much to worry about :wink:)
guys that are ignorant and dishonest
guys that don't have a sense of humor
guys that are impolite/no manners

I could honestly go on forever, but that would just be like trying to define the perfect guy :wink:

Well, for me and a female....

- Loud, high-pitched voice
- Ignorance
- Bad hygene
- No interest in music
- No sense of humor

i've found that as i've grown up, the list has changed from things a guy must have to things that i will absolutely not tolerate (most of these i have learned from experience--ouch):

poor hygeine, in any form
wilfull ignorance and general apathy
lack of passion for life
no sense of humour
unwilling to take chances, experience new things, people, places
manipulative/into head games
jealous/bad temper/lack of control over his emotions
no empathy for others
inconsiderate/self-centred
narcissistic
low self esteem
inability to take care of himself (emotionally, domestically, financially, etc.)

TripThruUreWires said:
turn-offs:

uncontrollable tempers/lack of self-control
emotional immaturity
lack of integrity
no sense of humor
no musical inclination
political correctness

those are a huge turn off to me also.

and if he doesnt like cats he must die.

bonosgirl84 said:

for me, that would not only be ridiculous, but insulting, too.

No offense there, but I think Rono ain´t kidding. That´s also what I call barbie behaviour.

How someone can take an invitation or non.invitation that personal, is beyond my imagination. Grown-up men surely don´t date to build up the ladies´ self-esteem, see?

However, don´t take it personal - I also don´t get the story with bad or good tippers, like Bonochick said. Being snotty or rude or foodish is a turn off, I agree. But tipping? I know in America things may be a little different... but can someone explain me what´s so bad about not leaving tips. Here, I tip when the service was exceptionally great, or when the food is very tasty.

I´ll tell you what, for a woman who glances at me like that on a date, or makes a drama for the tips-thing, or makes a drama for being invited/ not being invited, that´s gonna be the first and last date with me.

In my male role-model, I could find it insulting that such things are even mentioned. That´s sooo new-money. If I pay the bill - which I usually do on first dates, because I like to invite someone, not because it is expected - the tips are my business. In my eyes, a woman who is *ashamed* that I don´t play a well-situated broker or lawyer in her presence and leave a 10$ bill for every drink I get, is pretentious - and therefore she doesn´t deserve me.

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

you're kidding, right?

for me, that would not only be ridiculous, but insulting, too. i have never been on a date where i have been expected to pay. sure, a night out with drinks and everything can get expensive, and there are times when i'll offer to buy the next round or leave the tip on an expensive dinner or whatever, but any decent date better try to stop me at least once before i insist.
Actualy, i am not kidding but i think you missunderstand me.

When i INVITE someone i will pay but if i came acrosse a girl by accident, she can go away if she expect me to pay for everything. And i don`t expect a favour back when i INVITE a girl out either.

I like to have a girlfriend that loves me for what i am, not for what i pretend to be,...i am a gardener so i can`t give tips like a laywer.

Money talks, i guess.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I know in America things may be a little different... but can someone explain me what´s so bad about not leaving tips. Here, I tip when the service was exceptionally great, or when the food is very tasty.

In America it is customary to leave some kind of tip. Not leaving a tip usually means the service was unbelievably horrible, or the tipper is a complete jerk.

bonosgirl84 said:

you're kidding, right?

I agree with bg on this one. I don't see this as barbie behaviour at all. Rono, it's not about money talking. I would not like the boy who took me out for a huge meal and lots of drinks more than the bloke who invited me out to see a movie on student night for £1.50. When I am asked out I always offer to pay for myself but the person I am with will always insist that he will pay or later on I buy a drink for him in return for a cinema ticket. One night I went out on a date with someone who asked me could I pay him into the cinema and he'd pay me back as the cash machine was broken. After the movie we went for drinks, after bought him a few he turned round and said he wasn't going to pay me back and then proceeded to call me cheap because I had ordered a glass of water along with my last drink (which I always do because the next day I'll wake up with a headache if I don't). That was a real slap in the face and extremley rude. For me, that's the male equivalent of barbie behaviour. I would never demand that my date pays for everything, nor would I expect him to do so. It says a lot more about them when they tell you they want to pay for you, whether it's for a night out at bowling, a cinema ticket or a meal. I also couldn't care less if I was taken out for a picnic or a walk. I'm not demanding. I always offer to pay my half and if I've invited someone out I always offer to pay for everything. It's not about money, it's about having manners and I think it's nice when some people take the old fashioned approach and want to pay for the woman.

Hiphop, I may be wrong here, but I think I remember reading about tips in America in a thread here once and them being important because the people who rely on tips get a really meagre wage of something like $2/3.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

No offense there, but I think Rono ain´t kidding. That´s also what I call barbie behaviour.

How someone can take an invitation or non.invitation that personal, is beyond my imagination. Grown-up men surely don´t date to build up the ladies´ self-esteem, see?

However, don´t take it personal - I also don´t get the story with bad or good tippers, like Bonochick said. Being snotty or rude or foodish is a turn off, I agree. But tipping? I know in America things may be a little different... but can someone explain me what´s so bad about not leaving tips. Here, I tip when the service was exceptionally great, or when the food is very tasty.

I´ll tell you what, for a woman who glances at me like that on a date, or makes a drama for the tips-thing, or makes a drama for being invited/ not being invited, that´s gonna be the first and last date with me.

In my male role-model, I could find it insulting that such things are even mentioned. That´s sooo new-money. If I pay the bill - which I usually do on first dates, because I like to invite someone, not because it is expected - the tips are my business. In my eyes, a woman who is *ashamed* that I don´t play a well-situated broker or lawyer in her presence and leave a 10$ bill for every drink I get, is pretentious - and therefore she doesn´t deserve me.

first of all - as usual - i can barely understand what your point is. but let me see if i can get this straight...you are assuming by my comments that i am a "barbie girl?" that made me laugh. you of all people should know that's not anywhere near the truth. give me a straw hat, a canoe and a basketful of bread and beer and i'm about as happy as i'm ever going to get.

i didn't take an "invitation" or a "non-invitation" personal. i said i would be insulted if a man expected me to pay on a date that HE asked me to go on. and it has absolutely nothing to do with "building up my self-esteem." that statement is ridiculous, and based on nothing in my post.

there is no "making drama with the tips thing." i said i always offer to leave it, but expect that a man argue it just a little. and that fact doesn't just hold true for men. that's true with settling ANY bill with ANYONE.

as far as tipping goes...in america, it's considered rude to not leave one. it means you think the service was terrible. especially where i live, tipping is a big part of everyday transactions. dealers, cocktail servers, cage cashiers, room attendants, valet....the list is almost endless.

damn, hiphop, now that i think about it, i sure hope you didn't cruise around las vegas without tipping everyone you should have tipped...

:slant:

Rono said:
Actualy, i am not kidding but i think you missunderstand me.

When i INVITE someone i will pay but if i came acrosse a girl by accident, she can go away if she expect me to pay for everything. And i don`t expect a favour back when i INVITE a girl out either.

I like to have a girlfriend that loves me for what i am, not for what i pretend to be,...i am a gardener so i can`t give tips like a laywer.

Money talks, i guess.

if i misunderstood you, it was because your statement wasn't clear enough. i agree with you now, when you clarify that you would pay if you did the asking.

as far as loving someone for what they are, i'm not even going to address that, because it has nothing to do with anything i said in my post. i think i understand what you are trying to imply, though, and i resent it.

and gallantry - which, as angie said - is indeed dead, speaks louder to me than any amount of money ever could.

it's the gesture, not the cash.

Frat boys. Not necessarily the ones in college, but the pervasive frat boy mentality that some grown men choose to keep well into their late 20s and 30s. You can spot one a mile away. It's my biggest pet peeve with the opposite sex, totally something that cannot be overcome for me, even if he was perfect in every other way. Grow up.

Back
Top Bottom