You know you gained weight and.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, people who are seriously overweight already know. All it does to have people make comments is make someone's self-esteem even worse. And having relatives say things is the worst of all, it's no fun to have your father or brothers make comments about your looks or weight-in fact, it's heartbreakingly painful and you really never get over that. Actually one comment can start a person on the road to anorexia-I have read about that.

If someone told me something like that "for my own well being", I would tell them to f off for their own well being-and I don't consider myself overweight.

It's the same for someone with an addiction problem, as was already said- you really know yourself if you have any sort of major problem and it's up to you to decide if you want to change things. People should have tact, and realize that people have differing levels of sensitivity. I could never say that to someone about their weight.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I agree, people who are seriously overweight already know. All it does to have people make comments is make someone's self-esteem even worse. And having relatives say things is the worst of all, it's no fun to have your father or brothers make comments about your looks or weight-in fact, it's heartbreakingly painful and you really never get over that. Actually one comment can start a person on the road to anorexia-I have read about that.

You are so very right with what you said about relatives making remarks. My brother's used to do that to me whenever we fought with each other and it really hurt like hell to hear them say it. We have overcome some of our differences but I will never forget the cheap shots they took at my weight problem.

JC I hope I didn't offend you with saying the remark about suspecting that these things were said to you.

Last edited:
JCOSTER said:
So most of you, would be offended, Even if the said person said that because they were concerned for your well being? :huh:

I actually did think when i read your thread for the first time that someone must have said something to you.....but....then you posted the above...and i got the impression that you thought it was OK to say those things because it would be justifiable to be concerned for someone's weight because of health risks. I do apologise for the mis-understanding.

JCOSTER?........which one of the comments were said to you and how did it make you feel?

Yes, I would like to loose some weight who wouldn't. 5 years ago I lost 38 lbs and everyone was freakin because I was too thin. Now I gained back half not purposely ofcourse, and someone really close to me said the above comments.

I was doing okay with the weight gain and had in my head that when the kids went back to school I would get on track again and get my butt to weight watchers again. One of the reasons why I stopped going was because families needs got in the way of my own needs. I also tend to eat non healthy foods when I get stressed.

Overall I was doing okay and didn't feel that bad about myself until then.

Aren't you glad you asked? :huh:

JCOSTER said:

Overall I was doing okay and didn't feel that bad about myself until then.

Aren't you glad you asked? :huh:

That's exactly what i mean...these comments do nothing but upset you...even if it was only a little bit. Now...next question...promise this will be the last:wink: ...5 years ago when you lost the weight initially...by the way:applaud: ........did you lose it because someone made comments about your weight or was it something you decided to do yourself?

And oh!!....I completely understand if you don't want to respond......:lol: now i'm the one not being tactful:huh:

My younger son was 2 I carried baby weight around and I said this isn't getting any better and with 2 boys we do alot of running around. I wanted to make sure I was healthy so I lost the weight on my own. I had a full physical in January and everything checked out just fine.

I was checking you out....now I know what you do for a living. :wink:

Hey, my bday was 7/20 both Cancers!!!:wink:

Last edited:
hmmm, i dont get what the issue with relatives telling is?

my mother is the first person to tell me when she thinks i've put on weight and shes the same with my sister.
shes also the first person to tell me when i've lost weight and when i'm looking good or, as has been the case before, when i've lost too much weight and look unhealthy

yes, my sister and i have bitched about it before and yes we get angry and upset occassionally when my mom passes a comment - she can be quite brutal - but really its only because she's right and we know it and aren't happy with it either.

id rather hear it from my mom than have other people thinking it, but thats just me

Wtg Verte! :applaud: Im in the process of losing weight,decided on my own,and honestly the compliments are very encouraging. It's really hard to lose weight when your problem is constantly brought to your attention. For me I only felt pressured in those situations and didn't have the right motivation to take it off.

Last edited:
It's not easy losing weight and even if you know that you should lose some, it still is not something you might want to hear even from your relatives if it is something you are unhappy with.

I'd really feel insecure...

Just like Lara Mullen said, it's not an easy thing, and if someone says these things to you, it could get even more hard to lose weight...

JCOSTER said:
My younger son was 2 I carried baby weight around and I said this isn't getting any better and with 2 boys we do alot of running around. I wanted to make sure I was healthy so I lost the weight on my own. I had a full physical in January and everything checked out just fine.

I was checking you out....now I know what you do for a living. :wink:

Hey, my bday was 7/20 both Cancers!!!:wink:

:whistle: I'm not a Nutritionist though,which alot people assume...I am to a Dietician/Nutritionist what a nurse is to a Doctor.

:hug: fellow cancerian!!-Emotional & loves lots of company and MONEY!!!:hyper:

and thanks for proving my point!:up:

fly so high! said:

:whistle: I'm not a Nutritionist though,which alot people assume...I am to a Dietician/Nutritionist what a nurse is to a Doctor.

:hug: fellow cancerian!!-Emotional & loves lots of company and MONEY!!!:hyper:

and thanks for proving my point!:up:

thanks for the interest. :wink:

I lost 25-30 lbs on my own starting last year and another 20 back in February due to being sick with diabetes. After being diagnosed, I gained the 20 I lost due to being sick. But the doctors didn't tell me good blood sugar control and taking insulin tends to cause weight gain. So I've gained most of the weight back I lost last year. Another reason why this disease sucks. :sigh:

And my mother usually hints to me I need to go on a diet by sayin something like, "Maybe you should have a salad." :|

daygloeyes2 said:
I lost 25-30 lbs on my own starting last year and another 20 back in February due to being sick with diabetes. After being diagnosed, I gained the 20 I lost due to being sick. But the doctors didn't tell me good blood sugar control and taking insulin tends to cause weight gain. So I've gained most of the weight back I lost last year. Another reason why this disease sucks. :sigh:

And my mother usually hints to me I need to go on a diet by sayin something like, "Maybe you should have a salad." :|

Hang in there you are beautiful no matter what your size is :hug: Can only imagine how hard and frustrating it is to deal with what you are going through.

I hate when people make comments about weight. Even if it's from weight loss because it makes me feel like I looked awful before. A customer once said to me, "Have you lost weight? What'd you weight, 306 before?" And my best friend once told me that a skirt I was wearing wasn't very flattering (I had gained 5 pounds at the time and was feeling down about it).

briarrose said:
I hate when people make comments about weight. Even if it's from weight loss because it makes me feel like I looked awful before. A customer once said to me, "Have you lost weight? What'd you weight, 306 before?"

Oh my God, that is so rude :madspit:

And friends can be the worst, sorry about that

Back
Top Bottom