Writing a difficult letter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LikeNoOneBefore

Refugee
How do you write a letter to attempt to fix a friendship with a stubborn ex boyfriend who doesn't seem to want to hear what you say? I know it sounds ridiculous and impossible, but I am determined. He's leaving for college at the end of the year, but I'm a year younger than him so I won't be. This is my last shot at trying to fix things. Do you have any advice on how to make it sound like I'm not desperate? I've definitely moved on and started liking other guys, but I just want to try at a friendship.

And yes, I realize that this might not work but any advice, suggestions and ideas would help. I'm giving the letter to him when I see him on Friday so I need to work fast! :wink:

I suggest writing an email..

on subject on email : DONT TRASH THIS EMAIL

But if you still want to write a letter, write on the outside of the letter write his name in good hand writing and to start the letter say : Please read this whole letter...

If he still listens, then let it be...I wouldn't want to be friends with a person who doesn't want to talk to me because I broke up with he/she...

But that's my personal opinion..

LikeNoOneBefore said:
Oh HE broke up with ME. Hahaha we were friends before, but a stupid argument made him end it. :shrug:

Oh, well I wouldn't see him if he broke up with you and doesn't want to see you...To me that makes all the dif. in the world..

Keep it short and simple. Make a list of points you want to cover, then write a small paragraph on each. Affix a Dear Name, and a Thanks for reading, Your Name, at the bottom and you're done. Keep it friendly and free of crap.

That's the best way to write any letter. Or maybe it isn't. I just hate reading anything with emotional diarrhoea which goes on and on and on...etc.

Angela Harlem said:
Keep it short and simple. Make a list of points you want to cover, then write a small paragraph on each. Affix a Dear Name, and a Thanks for reading, Your Name, at the bottom and you're done. Keep it friendly and free of crap.

Having written many love letters and letters with the intention of repairing friendships, I would follow what Angela Harlem said. Be honest. Honesty will allow your message to breach the fronts people put up against you.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Can you talk to him in person?

Well, I'm going to his school's football game to see all my band geek friends from there, tomorrow. I'll see him, but I know he won't really want to talk so I'm writing everything down for him to read.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
It's one notebook page long. Is that too much?

I think A4 is too large. Is notebook the same as foolscap size? I'd stick with no more than the size of a business envelope in writing. Especially as you said he was stubborn and didn't want to hear what you have to say. He's not going to be inclined to read a lot very enthusiastically. More reason for keeping it very upbeat and about the future. No drama and heaviness.

my adivce would be just to move on. if he doesnt want to be friends, no letter is really going to change that. tough i know, but its probably whats best.

Less is more if you are going to give him a letter.

"Have a great time at school. See ya sometime."

That's a good letter. But I would probably drop it for now.

I had the same issue when I was a junior in high school and I was dating a senior. I thought she was the end all and be all. I was a wreck. She got tired of hearing from me and then I went the other way and just dropped the whole thing. She called me during my senior year in college and came to Boston for a weekend and I found her to be incredibly annoying and thought, "this is what I was heartbroken about?" Ugh.:lol:

Senior year in high school it was the opposite. Dated a girl, we both moved on, I went to college and then we ran into each other when I was home over springbreak and we both thought, "Hey I really miss this person" Loved each other, couldn't make a relationship out of it but it was great. Still get a Christmas card.

Chizip said:
my adivce would be just to move on. if he doesnt want to be friends, no letter is really going to change that. tough i know, but its probably whats best.

i agree here

unless theres some sort of unresolved issue thats causing him to ignore you that you really think clearing up will change things, then i would say just leave it.

unfortunately, like chip said, if he doesn't want to talk to you then i don't think a letter is going to do the trick. if anything it may push him further away.

My last ex is one of my best friends now, so it is possible, but we're both much older than high school.

Don't chase after him. Tell him you're sorry for the stupid argument and that you'd still like to be friends with him, and let it go at that.

Okay well I gave him the letter and now I'm just waiting for a reply so I hope I did alright and that this helps things a little. If anything it'll show that I care...right? :shrug:

Apparently, my friend was in the car with him when he read it. He shook his head, didn't say much, and then gave the note to him. Sooo I don't think it helped much, but it made me feel better, for some odd reason. Maybe he's still mulling over it. I don't know. I'll give an update at a later date.

Update:

I'm unblocked on AIM!!! But for some odd reason, he isn't talking to me still...oh well! It's progress!!!

Oh yeah, I can't remember if I mentioned, but he's had me blocked for a few months for some odd reason.

Back
Top Bottom