Worried about my weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that is so cool!!! Mrs. Edge what is the name of the tribute band? I wish I could be a belly dancer::dance:

OMG!!!!:shocked: You all rock!!!:rockon: That Shawn guy is :drool: you look like Morleigh:up: When are you guys comming to Chicago??

LOL! Yes he is. :yes: Unfortunately for the female populace, he just got engaged to another member of this forum! And thank you for the compliment too. :hug:

You should come to the InTO the Heart festival in Toronto, www.intotheheart.com, it has been going on for 2 years and Bono even called one of the organizers last year - twice! :faint:

They are doing all sorts of stuff to coincide with U2's week in Toronto (site to be updated soon), and Elevation will be playing some all request shows (I will probably dance at some of them). There is also another tribute band in Toronto, October, who will also be involved.

If you can't make it out here, I'm sure Elevation would travel out to Chicago, if someone invited them! I think Chicago already has a tribute though :hmm:

I am very tiny weigh 100 lbs....but at one time got up to 150 lbs...I am 5"3....did weight watchers by just getting the book and following it counting my points...weighed every Monday morning...lost 50 lbs. 3 years ago and have not put it back on!!! I say Weight Watchers is the healthy and long term solution as it changes the way you "think" about food.....Susan:wave: :wave:

Mrs. Edge said:
LOL! Yes he is. :yes: Unfortunately for the female populace, he just got engaged to another member of this forum! And thank you for the compliment too. :hug:

You should come to the InTO the Heart festival in Toronto, www.intotheheart.com, it has been going on for 2 years and Bono even called one of the organizers last year - twice! :faint:

They are doing all sorts of stuff to coincide with U2's week in Toronto (site to be updated soon), and Elevation will be playing some all request shows (I will probably dance at some of them). There is also another tribute band in Toronto, October, who will also be involved.

If you can't make it out here, I'm sure Elevation would travel out to Chicago, if someone invited them! I think Chicago already has a tribute though :hmm:

Chicago does have a tribute band also they are AWESOME too ...I have a major crush on the lead singer :giggle: :I am hopeless:wink:

WW is good for those who need additional support and motivation to stay on track. It is easy to do this on your own but it is also easy to fall off the track. I signed up last week with WW and I am excited about it. I loved the first meeting and look forward to going to more and having all my progress tracked online and being properly weighed in. The meetings are also good because you are able to get feed back from members about what has or has not worked for them. It is good for mental support too. I heard some stories last week that made me want to cry. It is a good therapy session for many.

Lots of good advice here! I was actually at a seminar over the weekend and one of the topics was about training your energy systems, and a big part of that is nutrition and excercise. Just thought I'd add...

Portion control isn't about starving yourself; it's about not eating more calories in one sitting than you can burn. 6 small meals a day keeps you fuller throughout the day than three big ones and therefore keeps you away from unhealthy snacks. Cutting too many calories out of your diet puts you into starvation mode, and that throws your metabolism off and you can actually gain weight as your body clings to every calorie it can.

Find an activity that you LOVE and run with it (no pun intended). I'm a figure skating fanatic, and since I got back into ice dancing last summer, I lost some extra weight, gained back some muscle, and I just feel good about myself when I leave the rink...that's motivation. You also increase your metabolism as you build up muscle because you burn more calories when you're at rest when you have more muscle.

If you're a coffee drinker, switch from cream to skim milk. Do it in stages (cream to whole milk to 2%, etc) if the thought scares you.

My mom loves Weight Watchers and Curves and both of them work for her.

Good luck!!

I agree with all of that except the cream to skim milk part. Cream in my coffee is one of the highlights of my day, a huge treat.

Milk of any kind just makes it weak and nasty! :yuck:

For me, it's not THAT huge a caloric amount to deal with. I'd rather just work the cream into my caloric budget for the day.....mind you I only have one or two cups a day tops...if you drink lots of coffee that's different.

One thing I have done though is got a milk frother, so sometimes I will have a latte....what I might do is have a latte every other day, but if you use 1/3 of a cup of milk in your coffee, it's probably not much different from a small amount of cream...

Anyway, carry on!

I drink a liter and half bottle of water everyday and just watch what I eat. For exercise I do Tae Bo (kickboxing) at least 3 times a week. They have sooooo many new dvd's out for it along with weight balls and resistance bands to tone up and build muscle. Been doing it since 1999 and it really works! Plus I have cut out unnecessary sugar like soda,candy and other junk food. Have a weakness for pretzels though but eat those in moderation. The key is not to deprive yourself because otherwise you are going to want it A LOT more than you did to begin with! Also I have heard Weight Watchers really works but Im too poor to afford that,LOL.

Ooohh.. finally someone mentioned Tae Bo. It is amazing. I love Tae Bo because it's not just aerobic or just strength training... hey it even helps with flexibility! Tae Bo includes the 3 types of exercises recommended keep your entire body healthy. And beginners can do it too... just start out with an easier video and work up to the more challenging ones. And I don't know how he does it, but Billy gets me excited about exercise :hyper: Does anybody do yoga???

Now, don't get me wrong, exercise is great for you but won't do a whole lot if you don't watch what you eat. Eating 6 small meals a day sounds good... that way you don't go so long inbetween meals that you stuff yourself. Hmmm... I only weigh like, 104 but just over the summer I gained over 5 pounds. You know why? Cuz I sat around and watched tv and ate junk food. :| If that's not proof that good nutrition and exercise is good for you I don't know what is. To all of you trying to lose weight, good luck :up:

Mrs. Edge said:
I try to avoid aspartame like the plague...

Why?

I'm just wondering because I've seen so many misconceptions about aspartame (particularly as it relates to brain tumors) that it's really becoming disconcerting.

And no, I don't work for them, LOL!

Well, I have just heard a lot (through my general nutritional research for cycling) that it is not good for you, and that it is too early to tell what the long term health effects of it will be.

On the net there are a lot of sites funded by Nutrasweet that discredit medical claims that it is bad for you. On the other hand there are conspiracy theorists who say it is the cause of every disease out there.

Paul has provided me with a whole bunch of Aspartame related links which I will post here:

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

http://www.dorway.com/offasprt.html

http://www.sweetpoison.com/

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html (<-- wow!!)

How aspartame got past the FDA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

Last edited:
I think if people read the primary literature (ie. experimental results) they would really not feel the same about aspartame.

What is in question is the phenylalanine in the aspartame. This is the amino acid which has been tied to the aformentioned side effects, the most serious of which seems to be an implied increase in brain tumors over the last few decades. There is no solid scientific correlation to aspartame on this front.

The studies were conducted using mainly rats and mice. It is NOT humanly possible to ingest the amount of phenylalanine necessary to see tumor induction in rats. You need to understand the hyper levels these animals were exposed to.

If you consume 2 eggs in the morning (anyway you like), you have just consumed more phenylalanine than in a can of Diet Coke. There are many other foods which fall into the same category.

IMO, aspartame may have side effects, but the fearmongering associated with it in the press is absolutely overboard. No researcher I have ever spoken to about this agrees with the notion that the side effects published are in any way realistic.

BTW, if you look at the primary literature, you will find equally as interesting data regarding Splenda. It is there, yet people will gobble it up by the buckets thinking they're saving themselves.

Yes, I noticed that about the Splenda to my horror! Actually, I only use it in tea, so I may just use it up and then switch over to sugar or honey. 1 tsp of sugar isn't a big deal.

I am sure that the whole aspartame thing is only an issue if you are a diet coke addict, or have sugar free yogurt daily etc....I'm not going to panic if I do have some on occasion, but I'm not going to seek it out either.

To be honest, I think the entire aspartame vs. saccharin vs. sucralose is a fight between corporate interests that is rather devoid of science in the end. Because what it all amounts to is something akin to fearmongering in the public which is unaware of what the experimental data actually indicates and in what context the compounds were studied.

beli said:

Im a Pilates addict too. :drool:

Pilates is initially not too strenuous so if you are a bit unfit you can still participate. :up:

Count me in! :drool: I am so into it I can't wait for each class. I take a class that combines mat and Reformer (the Pilates machine, for those who don't know) three times a week for a couple of years and it's changed my body a lot, and quickly.

I wanted to knock off those 5 winter pounds and started doing the low-carb thing that I'd done a few times before and I quickly got so friggin' bored with it that I couldn't stand it. So I began, as MrBAW suggested, eating smaller portions. I cut out all sugar and most bread, potatoes, pasta, and rice, and ate things like salmon (or chicken breast) and vegetables. But to keep from getting bored, if I ordered a burger I'd remove the bun and eat 5 of the fries instead of licking the plate clean. This is strictly forbidden on something like Atkins but I did it my way and in two weeks my clothes are fitting perfectly again. Of course it all depends on how much you want to lose.

As well as drinking tons of water, I suggest pure cranberry juice (not cranberry cocktail or cranberrry with sugar--it has to be just pure, plain cranberry juice) diluted with water. Drink 32 oz. per day. It's a diuretic and along with the water will release so much retained water you won't even believe it. I got that from the Fat Flush book.

anitram said:
I think if people read the primary literature (ie. experimental results) they would really not feel the same about aspartame.

What is in question is the phenylalanine in the aspartame. This is the amino acid which has been tied to the aformentioned side effects, the most serious of which seems to be an implied increase in brain tumors over the last few decades. There is no solid scientific correlation to aspartame on this front.

The studies were conducted using mainly rats and mice. It is NOT humanly possible to ingest the amount of phenylalanine necessary to see tumor induction in rats. You need to understand the hyper levels these animals were exposed to.

If you consume 2 eggs in the morning (anyway you like), you have just consumed more phenylalanine than in a can of Diet Coke. There are many other foods which fall into the same category.

IMO, aspartame may have side effects, but the fearmongering associated with it in the press is absolutely overboard. No researcher I have ever spoken to about this agrees with the notion that the side effects published are in any way realistic.

BTW, if you look at the primary literature, you will find equally as interesting data regarding Splenda. It is there, yet people will gobble it up by the buckets thinking they're saving themselves.

Thank you :up:

I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) so I'm insulin resistant and its really hard to keep track of my weight. Sometimes it really gets to me that people think I'm fat becuase I eat too much, but I eat less than the average person and can do nothing about it, other than take the drugs. :rolleyes:
Guys don't seem to get, I'm planning on being single for a loooong time. Oh well, I guess thats why I have U2.

Back
Top Bottom