Worried about my weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2bonogirl said:
one more thing
If youre a major fan of sweets dont cut them out entirely. you'll find yourself thinking about them all the time :wink:
Try rewarding yourself every once in a while with something thats not devastating to your diet like gummy bears, or some dark chocolate or something to keep yourself from going off the deep end and binging on a crap load of....crap

I'm a big time sweets fanatic, but last night when I was out I bought a bag of Hershey Kisses as my emergency sweets. If I find myself craving ice cream or something else sweet, I'll just have 2-3 of those and it'll curb my craving.

After I go out for sushi tonight I think I'll go on a long walk. :up:

My office has so many sweets, it's ridiculous. I try not to eat any of it but it calls out to me... :lol:

Seriously, this is some great advice that you all have been giving me. I appreciate it. Thanks! :)

I think I'm going to get a treadmill. :hmm:

one thing that's helped me with sweet cravings is having a small baggie full of frosted flakes. it takes the sweet cravings away for me.

U2Girl1978 said:
Usually when I do start working out, I can't stay motivated. :|

Are you able to work out with a friend? Or go to pump classes? Hire a personal trainer. If you are aware you will lose motivation, set yourself up so you can't stop.

U2Girl1978 said:

Have you used a treadmill before? Are you the sort of person who likes to jog?

Some people have dominant slow twitch muscles and some people have dominant fast twitch muscles, naturally ie we are born that way. Slow twitch muscles are necessary for endurance sports such as long distance running. Fast twitch muscles are used in weight lifting and strength sports.

People with dominant slow twitch muscles are visually long and lanky eg a runner. People with dominant fast twitch muscles are visually stronger around the shoulders etc eg Arnie.

All sorts of exercise is an option for all sorts of people but if you choose an exercise that suits your body type there is a greater chance of success. With success comes motivation and the desire to continue.

Its the middle of the night and Im up with the baby so Im more than likely not making any sense. I will revisit this post tomorrow and correct any bloopers I have made. I'll also go and grab some of my books and quote rather than ramble. lol.

I hope this makes sense. lol

I don't understand why people pay money to be told to eat healthy. It really should be common sense. I guess maybe Weight Watchers is good to help you keep track, but you could just keep a journal on your own without spending 10 dollars a week to do it or whatever.

Anyway, one summer I really wanted to loe weight and I found this website

http://www.intense-workout.com/weight_loss.html

there is a lot of great info on there and its all free. I ended up losing 40 pounds that summer with its advice. the featured articles on there are great. good luck.

u2bonogirl said:
getting fiber into your diet is a good thing. It helps get rid of excess fat in your digestive system. So like, apples, or some low sugar bran cereal...stuff like that.
Oatmeal is great because it fills you up, and is good for you. I has fiber in it, and fruit is good in it too.
definitely stay away from soda. If youre dying for it drink some diet, but try and stick with water for a refreshment.
A handfull of almonds for a midday snack is great too :up:
One good fact to know is that when you start to eat less your body begins to get used to a lower intake and adjusts to that, lowering your metabolism unless youre doing something to raise it. A great way is just to go for a walk every day or do something active so your body expects to have to burn food off
good luck

I agree with most of what u2bonogirl says, EXCEPT DIET SODA. AVOID ASPARTAME AT ALL COSTS!! There's a reason they put warning labels on it, you know. Besides, how many skinny people do you know that drink diet sodas? You can do research for yourself on aspartame (also known as Nutrasweet or Equal). But all it will do is keep fat cells in your body. The more you drink in, the more fat your liver has to make to insulate yourself from the toxins because your body can't flush it out. (I used to work for a chiropractor but you can check this out for yourself if you like.)

I think portion control is scary - you need to keep your metabolism up in order to become a fuel burning machine rather than a fat storing machine. If you limit what you eat, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and then will store fat to help you through the lean times. You think you're losing weight, but check your body fat percentage - muscle is more dense than fat, (about 6 times more dense), so if have the same mass, the fat will weigh less. BUT that doesn't mean you start out eating just anything. Eat 6 times a day - and you'll be amazed how hard this is to do. But lots of fiber and protein to feed your muscles. I highly recommend having organically grown food where possible. It just doesn't make sense to me to add more pesticides and hormones that I don't need when I'm trying to get rid of stuff. And the first week, cheating won't help you. I know it's hard - but it's only for a week. You've got to get your body to access the stored fat first, and cheating on a diet will only confuse the body and make it think that it's going back to the bloodstream for energy. It's very difficult for it to just switch back and forth like that. (I'm not explaining it very good here - but basically the body goes through three levels of energy access- the bloodstream, which is the quickest and easiest route, then another route that escapes my memory at the moment, and then to the fat storage. You want it to be accessing the fat storage - and it takes a long time for the body to realize this.) And the cool thing is, once you get your body to do what you want it to do, you will be able to come back to those sweets that you love so much. When I did it, I literally told myself that I went on a vacation from those kinds of foods. It was a great mind shift and it really got me through it! AND you'll be amazed that you'll feel satisfied with just a few of them when you do actually have them!

Bono's American Wife said:
You don't have to buy any special foods for WW and you don't have to buy any of their products. If I remember correctly, its $30 to register and I pay $10.95 per week membership.

For about $30/month you can get a Curves membership (they're everywhere these days - www.curves.com) which will give you the support and encouragement you need to lose. And they now offer a weight managment class, which stresses not only healthy (and ample) eating but also the most important component - exercise.

U2Girl1978 said:
My office has so many sweets, it's ridiculous. I try not to eat any of it but it calls out to me... :lol
Seriously, this is some great advice that you all have been giving me. I appreciate it. Thanks! :)
It's difficult to resist sweets when you're already eating a bunch of crap. But you know what? If your body is getting what it needs, you don't really worry so much about sweets hanging around. There's cookies and homemade(!) brownies and little hard candies around me all day long at work, and I don't even give them a 2nd glance because I'm eating right.

I've been a Curves member since May 2004. Since that time I've lost a total of 24.60 inches, 25.00 pounds, and 17.61 pounds of body fat. My BMI has fallen from 39 to 34. (They keep monthly tabs on you and today was my weigh/measure day, so I thought I'd share.) I took the weight management class about 2 months ago and it gave me the tools I need to make the right choices about food intake, and I know I will NEVER, EVER gain back the weight I've lost because of the education they've given me about food. The owners and other members of Curves have also done these classes and have kept weight off for years, which is something that keeps me going. I've got about 40 pounds to go to get to my personal goal, and I'm certain I'll be there by the holidays. I can't stress enough how important it is to combine exercise with the right foods - and to have the education and encouragement the people there have given me has been priceless.

Unfortunately, it's true that there is no quick fix to getting in shape. I applaud you because it looks like you've got a healthy mind in this already - it's encouraging to see that you're going to get a treadmill rather than a bunch of diet pills, so :hug: for that (I'd give you snaps but I don't think there's a snap smilie!) Just remember than losing more than 2 pounds a week can be dangerous - and keep in mind you also want to check your body fat percentage. If you're losing weight but your BF% keeps increasing, it means you're losing muscle, and that will ultimately set you up for failure. I think what I'm saying is, bottom line - there's no way to do it all by yourself, unless you take classes to be a personal trainer. So good luck in your journey, dear!

And be easy on yourself! It's just not realistic to expect to all of a sudden start working out 3 times a week and drinking 64 oz of water a day and eat right. I currently drink about 100 oz of water a day, work out 3x a week, and am always aware of what food I put in my body. It took me about 6 months to get to a regular workout routine, 8 months to drink at least 64 oz of water daily, and about a year to really understand my relationship with food - mainly, when I eat crap, I'm going to feel like crap. So why do I want to eat crap anymore? Anyway it's baby steps. I first started working out 2x a week, and didn't beat myself up if I didn't go that third time. Then I realized I wanted to be there, so eventually it happened. I first started with a goal of about an extra 20oz of water a day. Maybe I should mention that in my heyday I drank about 12 diet sodas A DAY. Yes, you read that right - 12 A DAY. One day, a couple of months ago now, I decided it would be my last one. But I was drinking about maybe 2-4 a day by that point, so it was easy to step down and quit altogether. Besides, by that time I had found something else I started craving - good old H2O. I got a water pitcher that filters tap water and a big jug that I just refill all day long. And don't worry about going to the bathroom a lot; that will wear off in about a month once your kidneys get adjusted to the new volume.

Please PM or email me and keep me posted on your progress, and feel free to ask any questions!!!

P.S. There were a lot of women in my weight managment class who said that they tried Atkins, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. in the past and this was the only thing that would actually work and keep working. I think it's because of the emphasis on exercise and keeping those muscles healthy.

I'm sorry this is such a long post, but I hope it will give you some more information and some inspiration on your journey!!! I'm really excited for you and wish you all the best. Please make sure to PM/email me with whatever you need.

:hug: :heart: :hug:

beli said:

Are you able to work out with a friend? Or go to pump classes? Hire a personal trainer. If you are aware you will lose motivation, set yourself up so you can't stop.

Have you used a treadmill before? Are you the sort of person who likes to jog?

Some people have dominant slow twitch muscles and some people have dominant fast twitch muscles, naturally ie we are born that way. Slow twitch muscles are necessary for endurance sports such as long distance running. Fast twitch muscles are used in weight lifting and strength sports.

People with dominant slow twitch muscles are visually long and lanky eg a runner. People with dominant fast twitch muscles are visually stronger around the shoulders etc eg Arnie.

All sorts of exercise is an option for all sorts of people but if you choose an exercise that suits your body type there is a greater chance of success. With success comes motivation and the desire to continue.

Its the middle of the night and Im up with the baby so Im more than likely not making any sense. I will revisit this post tomorrow and correct any bloopers I have made. I'll also go and grab some of my books and quote rather than ramble. lol.

I hope this makes sense. lol

lol it sure does...

I have used the treadmill before. I used to be a runner in high school. Did indoor, outdoor and cross country for a few years and I also did Field Hockey. So I was pretty active. It totally bums me out that I'm not the skinny twig that I used to be. I'm gonna whip myself into shape! :D

Lemon Grrl Thanks! :)

only thing I can say if it's not all been said already is just cut down on non-essential snacks between meals, 'soda's, and food you know is bad but just HAVE to have...walk or cycle everywhere and if it's too hot to jog, why not go in the evening when it SHOULD be cooler? I don't know where you live so don't know how hot it is in the evenings for you!

Best of luck! Hope it all works out!
:wave:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
I don't understand why people pay money to be told to eat healthy. It really should be common sense. I guess maybe Weight Watchers is good to help you keep track, but you could just keep a journal on your own without spending 10 dollars a week to do it or whatever.

Anyway, one summer I really wanted to loe weight and I found this website

http://www.intense-workout.com/weight_loss.html

there is a lot of great info on there and its all free. I ended up losing 40 pounds that summer with its advice. the featured articles on there are great. good luck.

I agree with Chippy:up: its just common sense and will power. Once you get over that hump then it comes easy:yes:

Yeah, LemonGrrl, you are very smart. Especially about the Diet Soda. I keep telling my friends and family that Diet soda is worse than regular soda, your body just doesn't know how to process the calories correctly, so in the end, it probably puts on more weight that regular soda alone, because eventually with regular soda, you lose the sugar calories with time and exercise. You can't lose the diet calories.

Did you read the book, "Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About"?
There also is a very easy tip in the book on salt and sugar. Use sea salt and you will instantly lose about a percent of body fat. It also tells you to use natural sugar.

Honestly, I gain about 10 pounds every time I get a job. I lose it a few months after I don't have a job. Strange but true. I don't know why, maybe because I sleep in more and I eat when I'm only hungry and not out of boredom or because it's lunch time and I'm supposed to.
So right now all I need to lose is about 15 pounds and go from a size 6-8 to a 4. My BMI is in the normal range and my dr says all I need to lose is about 5-8 pounds.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Offices are the worst when it comes to this kind of crap. :tsk:

I can tell you right now our file room houses all of our files, plus Twizzlers, Oreo snack packs, Pringles, and Lays potato chips. :down:

I know just how that is , I have been working at an office and sitting at a desk for over a year now, and I have gained a few extra pounds , I totally blame all the office "dinners and snacks" that float by my desk - my weak ass cannot resist:( Brownies and Adam are my weakness:reject:

Chocolate is my weakness :drool:
Thankfully Ive never really liked soda so its not an issue for me. I love water
I always use sugar in the raw if Im going to have sugar in something because my body reacts to it better. I have low bloodsugar so Ive got a touchy system anyway
Its interesting about sea salt...methinks I will be searching for it at the store :mac:

I hate water. Once in awhile I will crave a nice glass of ice water, but that's it.
For people that really don't like water all that much I suggest Propel water, and Grape is the best.

Colours4U2 said:
uh i just saw a pic of you and you are not fat. more like you should gain waight.

i agree with Colours, you look very sexy the way you are

xtal said:
I hate water. Once in awhile I will crave a nice glass of ice water, but that's it.
For people that really don't like water all that much I suggest Propel water, and Grape is the best.

I used to be that way, a long, long time ago.

But flavored water.....

That is one thing I cannot do, personally speaking.

But I'm all for drinking water.
Anykind, I suppose, as long as it is actually water and not something passing as being water..........

Liposuction I disagree with. I'm of the opinion that surgery is to be used only for medical reasons and the odd really noticeable vanity reason ie people who have had half their face blown off, etc.

u2bonogirl said:
Chocolate is my weakness :drool:
Thankfully Ive never really liked soda so its not an issue for me. I love water
I always use sugar in the raw if Im going to have sugar in something because my body reacts to it better. I have low bloodsugar so Ive got a touchy system anyway
Its interesting about sea salt...methinks I will be searching for it at the store :mac:

I too have a love water and rarely drink soda..I heard that soda is one of the leading causes of type 2 diabetes:confused:
What is this thing about the sea salt?

Another thing to really watch out for is High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's in EVERYTHING. :eek: Your body just can't handle that particular kind of fructose (different from the fruit kind). It releases fatty acids into your system and also blocks the sensors that tell you you're full.

It's much more prevelant in the US than other parts of the world (I'd never heard of it until I got here). It's used because it has a long shelf life and is cheap. It's probably OK in small doses, but only if you exercise regularly. I look at food labels very carefully and try to avoid it at all costs, that and hydrogenated oils.

I am a big fan of cycling for weight loss. It's helped me to lose 10lbs this summer, tone up and lose an inch off my thighs and waist. All that and I haven't exactly cut down on my ice cream consumption this year! :eek:

As for Curves, I have no doubt it works for many women and that's great. However, my fiancee has done some research on the company and it's owned by an individual with very right wing political and Christian values, who funds many anti-abortion/pro-life organizations....it's fine if you are of the same ideology, but knowing this I can't in good conscience patronize that gym when there are so many other gyms around.

Last edited:
U2Girl1978 said:
I've wanted to cycle so badly this summer but I could never get the time. :grumpy:

Well if it's something you actually enjoy, you still have the rest of summer and early fall to do it. There's nothing worse than doing exercise you don't enjoy. Even if you ride for an hour after work, and a few hours on the weekends it helps, I am living proof! I loathe dieting and will do anything to avoid it! LOL!

BTW, I had liposuction when I was a teenager to make myself thinner for my (defunct) ballet career. It was EXPENSIVE. And although it may have taken away fat cells, the ones I have just expanded to take their place! :reject:

Mrs. Edge said:
As for Curves, I have no doubt it works for many women and that's great. However, my fiancee has done some research on the company and it's owned by an individual with very right wing political and Christian values, who funds many anti-abortion/pro-life organizations....it's fine if you are of the same ideology, but knowing this I can't in good conscience patronize that gym when there are so many other gyms around.
Unfortunately this is true, and it's something I didn't know until after I joined. :reject: But, I also get to share information with them about the ONE Campaign, and how important Africa is, and other stuff that's near to my heart. Besides, if I looked into every company that I've ever bought anything from, I probably wouldn't buy much! Curves is the only gym in my area that really emphasizes both cardio and muscle strengthening with circuit training, which is important for both weight loss (by building muscle our metabolism rises, and we lose more fat) and weight gain (simply by building more muscle - it's more dense than fat). And they make it so goshdang easy to do. It's not like I just go in by myself and work aimlessly - which really helps me to stick with it.

Then again, I boycott Proctor & Gamble products because they test on animals. :shrug: So I can't say that everyone should just ignore the political ideology of Curves like I do, because there are some things that just aren't worth compromising - and I realize these are different for everybody. :hug:

*edit to add*
And yes - high fructose corn syrup is in everything, as is hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. I found Trader Joe's carries stuff that doesn't have those hideous things in them, and their prices aren't too bad.

And I'm glad to hear people want to use natural sugar. Stevia root is also a good natural sweetener alternative, though I've heard you can't cook with it as nicely as regular sugar.

Don't know if I said this before - but keep this in mind if you're feeling discouraged: You didn't get this way overnight, and you're not going to get out of it overnight. A slow process will help ensure long-lasting results. :hug:

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge your avatar is AWESOME!!! so sorry it is off the subject

Why thank you! :) I am a belly dancer in a U2 tribute and Phuzzy the Camera Girl on this forum made that for me....I haven't changed it since! :D

Lemon Grrrrl, thank you for your reply, I was worried that my mentioning that would turn this into FYM or something, which was the last thing I wanted to do! :) I am sure that 99% of women out there who go to places like Curves haven't a clue what's going on behind the scenes, I certainly didn't! You are right, it is very difficult to find a perfect company out there, but we muddle through as best we can and compromise. That's great that you are giving them all this good info about ONE and Africa! :up:

You are right about Trader Joe's I LOOOOVE that store! And their organic yogurt is sooooooo good. Especially the plain where you add honey. :drool: I'm all for natural sugars. I try to avoid aspartame like the plague...I only have the odd diet coke now, maybe 2 a month. I wish they would make it with Splenda!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom