Work advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I work in a very small front office (about 15 people at most) at a small steel company (40 people total, including the office). We have a new office manager who is already beginning to take on dictator qualities. I am accounts receivable, so I make up the invoices every day. Her latest thing is that I "should" (read, do it or I'll pester you til you do) take them across the street to the mailbox every day before the mail picks up there. My issue is 1. why does the mail even come to our building if I'm walking it across the street? 2. I don't want to cross this street in the semi-dark in my heels every day (in the cold either!) 3. WTF. For real. These things aren't supremely urgent, and can wait til the next day's mail to go out. I need serious :help: and advice, because it's this and a few other things that have become making going to work a chore. :sigh:

Say no. :)

Seriously, people freak out when they get stood up to. Just say plain and simple "Ive never had to do it before you were here, so I dont have to do it now. If its that serious, you do it. Piss potting across the road every morning is not part of my job description"

I will try. She seems to be the "queen" in the eyes of our president already, so I hope it works and he doesn't come out and announce that what she says goes. :sigh:

Ouch, tread cautiously, Clarity. Be firm, but always smile at her. Reject her idea with a big smile and an equally suitable plan so she cannot hold this against you and begin some workplace warfare. I'd use the time and inconvenience as big factors in your rejection. She cannot argue efficiency, plus if she insists you walk across in the semi dark in the cold, then you've got a right to complain even higher than her because of safety etc concerns (make up whatever is applicable to your workplace).

Good luck with her!

She's already BFF with the most obnoxious coworker we have too. :( She's marginally less obnoxious and 100% flakey. She's anal about getting the filing done, when it's my job to be the receptionist and AR. Filing = what I do when there's nothing left to do. She doesn't get that either. Blarg.

When the office is empty except for her and you strangle the bitch and dump her body in the dumpster out back.

...Ok, it probably won't work. But you'll get free room and board. :)

indra said:
When the office is empty except for her and you strangle the bitch and dump her body in the dumpster out back.

...Ok, it probably won't work. But you'll get free room and board. :)

Haha! I told another coworker of mine this exact thing. She's just as frustrated!

Is it in your job description to walk the invoices to the mailbox across the street? If not, I'd speak up and do so ASAP to nip this thing in the bud. I Feel for you. She'll come up with something else for sure. Could be a no win situation. :hug:

Okay, I'm gonna throw out what will probably be the unpopular opinion...but I'll ask that you don't get insulted and hear me out.

I don't think she's asking you to do something unreasonable. Inconvenient and different from what you usually do, yes, but it's not unreasonable.

If it's cold, and you don't want to wear heels, wear a coat and bring some sneakers to put on. In the winter, my gravel driveway can be very slippery while walking to my car, so I wear sneakers into work and change into dress shoes when I get there. I realize that's not something work is forcing me to do, but I'm just pointing out that it's not a huge deal. If it's dark, politely express your concern and ask if perhaps a flashlight could be provided.

Personally, I would avoid using the "not in my job description" argument with a boss. It could make you look bratty and unwilling to go above and beyond, which I think would reflect poorly on you. I regularly help out in other departments at my job and do things that aren't in my job description. As long as I have the time and the ability, why not?

I'm not telling you to be a total pushover, but I think that agreeing to do this simple, extra task would be in your best interest.

I agree with BC. If it's just across the street, doesn't sound too bad. If it were me, I would look forward to getting up and getting out. Is there a place to go get coffee while you're out there? If the weather is real bad, just say you're not going to go out today.

Is she implementing some type of operational change? Was she hired to streamline operations?

Doesn't the mailperson pickup mail when s/he comes into your office? Tell her that outgoing mail gets picked up and processed quicker the way things are functioning now.

Tell her that thugs periodically tap into that box across the street so you wouldn't want important mail go missing.

What is her reasoning behind this request?

This reminds of me of when I worked at a retail store under a dictator. I'm glad I walked out and never looked back.

Last edited:
I can see where Bonochicks coming from, but if you are sposed to be doing work when shes asking you to do this it seems a little off. Especially if as you say, it can wait.

Maybe I misunderstood...but is she asking you to get the invoices out early in the morning for that day's 9 oclock mail or whatever?

Because the only invoices that could possibly go out that early would be ones that were processed the previous day, non?

So maybe the middle ground is agreeing to drop off each day's invoices on your way home. That way, you were already on your way anyways, and the mail will be there bright and early, as they would have sat in the mailbox all night.

I have to side with the others on this one...your position entails both accounts recievable and office admin relief, so in either of those job descriptions I think there's likely plenty of room for tasks like dropping the invoices into the mailbox...

I do see a problem with saying "it's not in my job description" because in every job I've ever had there is a little phrase which essentially says your job includes "damn near anything your supervisor asks." Saying it's not in your job description just gets you labeled a troublemaker (and given that -- or similar -- phrase it doesn't even get you out of doing the thing).

Although I still like the strangling option (I mean, what's not to like? :D ), really the best advice is to suck it up, do what you're asked, and then forget about it. It will take five minutes each day -- it's not worth stressing about.

She didn't even say anything today, probably since it's snowing. I'd still rather not cross 4 lanes of traffic to take them, but I don't wnat to say no iether. Usually I'm up to my eyeballs in work and run around the office all day like my head is cut off trying to get my regular work done. The box across the street has it's last pick up at 4:30pm and she wants me to have it in there before that. Most of the time it takes me ALL day just to get them finished because I have a million interruptions. I suppose I'll see how it goes. I guess it's not unreasonable, but I don't think it's very practical. :shrug:

How about if you compromise by saying you'll have the mail in the box across the street by 4:30 IF it is on your way home. What time do you start work? It does sound so impractical, but it also sounds like someone who likes to bark out orders and have things her own way no matter what. Can you share this duty with others? Taking turns might not make it so bad. :shrug:

UberBeaver said:
I agree with BC. If it's just across the street, doesn't sound too bad. If it were me, I would look forward to getting up and getting out. Is there a place to go get coffee while you're out there? If the weather is real bad, just say you're not going to go out today.

:up:

I also work in a small office. The nearest window is in my department manager's office, where I'd rather not be. :lol: I would LOVE the chance to go outside for a few minutes, in the snow, in my heels, whatever. I walk in in the semi-darkness, anyway (no sunrise in Indiana until 7:45 am these days), so another few minutes wouldn't be that bad.

Last edited:
Carek1230 said:
Is it in your job description to walk the invoices to the mailbox across the street? If not, I'd speak up and do so ASAP to nip this thing in the bud. I Feel for you. She'll come up with something else for sure. Could be a no win situation. :hug:

I am with Indra here....

No offense, but as a manager, I feel that "that is not in my job description" is a VERY lazy cop-out. I get wind of employees telling other employees this all of the time.

I would avoid that idea, and like what so many others have suggested, either enjoy the few minutes away from your desk (think of it as exercise?!) and/or find compromise. Especially if she is popular with the president. This will show some initiative on your part...and/or willingness to work together.

Getting invoices out to folks may mean that they may be paid earlier!

She's only been working "officially" at the company since the beginning of this month. She worked two months before this part time for free. I know I need to give her time, but she gets SO hung up on the minuscule that it drives me bonkers. I think I'm done venting....finally. Maybe.

I'll save my other rants for another day...like tomorrow. :wink:

Last edited:
im going out on a "im a queen bee (not too much of a bitch ) at work limb here " and last time i checked the secretary did what she was asked and yes the clause "other duties as directed" is a beautiful phrase . so unless it is a real health or safety issue you dont have much to go on.

Back
Top Bottom