Wierd: I am very scared of dogs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
annie_vox said:

What about puppies? If you want to get rid of that fear I think baby dogs are a good start;)

Funny you should mention that, b/c I actually really dislike puppies. I mean, I think they are cute and all, but I have NO desire to ever have one or be near them. Once they get to be about 6 months old, yes please! But little 8 week old pups with no manners and little bite inhibition? No thanks! Puppies are just too nippy because so often people adopt them too young (should not be adopted before 10 weeks, IMO) and they have not fully learned their bite inhibition from their littermates. Plus, their teeth are still razor sharp. A little nippy puppy that is not properly trained and socialized from the very beginning quite easily becomes a large dog that is mouthy and lunges.

It depends on the breed. I am afraid of pitbulls, but I do not fear the Bernese Mountain Dog.

Puppies, I find annoying. :p

:reject:

As Liesje said, they do bite.... They tend to run around my ankles and sniff, etc.... I just dislike dogs. :(

Butterscotch said:
It depends on the breed. I am afraid of pitbulls, but I do not fear the Bernese Mountain Dog.

I am cautious around any dog I do not know. Quite frankly I think it's stupid not to be. I try not to do anything that may be perceived as aggressive by an unfamiliar dog when I'm in it's territory, and so far I've not had any problems. I was mauled when I was five by a dog we had just gotten a couple of weeks earlier. Turns out it had been trained (poorly) as an attack dog. Why it was touted as "great with kids" I don't know (unless the guy who had it hated kids, which is possible). I still have scars from that, but obviously survived and I still love dogs.

Even given that experience I can't say I fear any particular breed. However, I don't often trust dog owners. Even the nicest dog can be bad given a bad owner, and I'm not real fond of the way many people bring up their dogs. So I steer very clear of most other people's dogs, at least until I get to know them and see how they are treated.

That's why I like getting puppies. Other people don't get a chance to fuck them up. :)

Back
Top Bottom