Why do you love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Why should we? Love is the most enticing thing that comes with the ominous promise "It will end up with heartbreak."

Even if we do love each other all our lives, one of us has to go first.

:(

I think it's a matter of how you perceive love. To look at it that way is very negative. It's like everything in life, you can either take the pessimist's view or adopt a more optimistc outlook. We're all going to die. That's our one promise in life. You know that loved ones around you won't always be around either. That doesn't make you stop loving them and it doesn't stop you falling in love with a partner either. Make the most of the opportunities that present themself to you in life, you can't always hold back because you think it will all end badly.

I don't know why, but I can't see what's to be done about it. I don't know about you, but I can just stop loving my mom, my cats, my friends, etc, just b/c there's the possibility something could happen and I'd be hurt. It's not something you can turn on and turn off. As for more romantic relationships, of course *love* is important, but I like to think of love as a result more concrete feelings we can enact like compassion and respect. Who doesn't want compassion and resepct?

why do I love?

I love you cause I need to
Not because I need you
I love you cause I understand
That God has given my your hand

:wink:

BrownEyedBoy said:

:(

Not always. Shit like car accidents and plane crashes happen and you end up both going at once.

Melon

Not always. Shit like car accidents and plane crashes happen and you end up both going at once.

:laugh:

You see...it's not as bad as you think, thanks to car accidents and plane crashes.

TwoAmericas said:
Who doesn't want love?

But if you are brute ugly on the outside, nobody will love you.

:sad:

How about the Phantom of the Opera.....

You can find beauty on the outside but ugliness on the inside.......I don't agree with the ugly factor....

Myself, I'm having a hard time finding the compassion and respect in this world.......it's dwindling away with each passing day.

:|

There's a beautiful Greek myth about an elderly couple, Baucis and Philemon. In this myth, Zeus and Hermes come down to Earth disguised as two beggars, and they go from house to house in a small town looking for help. At the smallest and poorest house, Baucis and Philemon share their dinner with Zeus and Hermes, even though they don't have much.

After the meal, Zeus and Hermes reveal their true nature, and tell Baucis and Philemon that because of their kindness, they'll grant the two of them one wish--anything they want. Baucis and Philemon say that they're both very old, and have had good lives and don't want or need anything material. So they wish that they can die at the same time, so neither of them has to live without each other.

A few years later, Baucis and Philemon are turned into a tree--two trunks with limbs intertwined.

I always liked that story.

nbcrusader said:
I love because I am loved by a perfect God

:up:
That was going to be my answer as well.
Our mission on this earth is to love others.
Wouldnt it be just as bad to never love than to lose it?

"Love your neighbor as yourself"
Just imagine if everybody did this. Imagine it!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't know why, but I can't see what's to be done about it. I don't know about you, but I can just stop loving my mom, my cats, my friends, etc, just b/c there's the possibility something could happen and I'd be hurt. It's not something you can turn on and turn off. As for more romantic relationships, of course *love* is important, but I like to think of love as a result more concrete feelings we can enact like compassion and respect. Who doesn't want compassion and resepct?

thats a perfect answer.

I think of my husband as his mother's child...i love his mom because shes one of thenicest people on this earth
and how could i break her heart?

anger can come out of every pore..and sometimes thats necessary...its so hard to react with our hearts

I :heart: cuz I can
I :heart: cuz I want to
I :heart: cuz my soul needs to :love:
I :heart: cuz my friends and my family deserve to be loved
I :heart: cuz it hurts and it makes me stronger
I :heart: cuz it makes me a better person
I :heart: cuz I like to be loved too
I :heart: cuz that's the best thing we can do and that's the only thing that will survive our material death, the love we leave here.

Last edited:
It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

I just came up with that, pretty good eh?:wink:

Muggsy said:
I :heart: cuz I can
I :heart: cuz I want to
I :heart: cuz my soul needs to :love:
I :heart: cuz my friends and my family deserve to be loved
I :heart: cuz it hurts and it makes me stronger
I :heart: cuz it makes me a better person
I :heart: cuz I like to be loved too
I :heart: cuz that's the best thing we can do and that's the only thing that will survive our material death, the love we leave here.
nice! :up:

I just can't help it. There have been certain times in my life where I tried to build up walls out of fear of getting hurt, but it turns out I'm not such a great bricklayer.:shrug:

Needle_Chill said:
It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

I just came up with that, pretty good eh?:wink:

:p

It's great to think that way...

what about this??:

Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved

Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved

Love is you
You and me
Love is knowing
We can be

Love is free, free is love
Love is living, living love
Love is needing to be loved

I just came up with that, pretty good ehh?

:wink:

Last edited:
^ the first couple lines there remind me of the song that Ducky sings in the movie " Pretty in Pink" When he is pining for Andie in her bedroom - as she goes to get them some juiceboxes
Jon Cryer is so funny in that scene

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I just can't help it. There have been certain times in my life where I tried to build up walls out of fear of getting hurt, but it turns out I'm not such a great bricklayer.:shrug:

That is actually an awesome analogy. I was going to say "well, I'm not that way"... But actually, that is very true for me. I have tried and sought to be very independant and even extreme isolation, solitude. But I ...... well...... somehow love came into the mix, and when it hits you it is hard to shake....

Techie2000 said:
IN THE NAME OF LOVE :rockon:

(Come on, you had to see that one coming...Seriously though, there are many different kinds of love, and reasons for it)

Wow, PRIDE is my all time favorite song, I believe I listened to it about 5-8 times today.... but I didn't even think about it until I read that !!

My real answer to "the question" is this:

For me, it was just reaching a point where...... basically..... it was entirely worth it. No amount of pain or suffering could possibly make me regret it. Even now, I don't regret it - what that means I am not sure..... Regardless of my side comments, I almost want to say "Love isn't a choice"

But in fact, that is exactly what it is.

I think you might eventually find someone you can't help but to love, or at least if you are really lucky you may. In all reality, though, I think "to love", or who/what to love, is the actual reason for free will. That is the most sacred, holy, meaningful choice yo have to make, and no one can make it for you, or take that choice away from you.

That's why love can last for ever.

Because you can choose to make it last forever. Essentially, even if someone "stops" loving you, or it reduces in degree, that does not mean you have to stop loving them, or that you cannot also reduce the degree of your love.

I believe love is the most neccesary, meaningful, holy, sacred, magnificent, real, powerful, difficult, and worthwhile luxury in the world. I say it like that because you do not "need to be in love" in order to live, or have a meaningful life. But if you choose to love someone and have a real love relationship, I think that is the possibly highest form of living.

You don'tneed love to grow up, or be raised, as some people don't get the luxory of loving parents. But if you can live a life of love, then I think that is the grandest. If I were more religious, I would say to love is to live most like god, or as god would most like.

Back
Top Bottom