Why do people say "you remind me of someone" and "I feel like I know you"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Why do people say "you remind me of someone" and "I feel like I know you"

"You remind me of someone..."
and
"I feel like I know you"

are two different things, of course. But both have happened to me a somewhat abormal amount in my life. I've never said that to anyone, save for once, maybe twice (I feel like I know you).

I'm a rather unaware dude when it comes to what things like this mean, so I was hoping some people here could fill me in.

"You remindme of someone" - has been said about my appearance (like 'do you have a brother?'), and just my personality, or things I do, etc. Which is odd, because I never really have met anyone who does things quite the way I do. Now, obviously, both the phrases I've listed here can sometimes be implying an attraction, and sometimes not.

But I wonder.... what makes people compellled to say things like this?

I am almost never compelled to say those phrases, at all, so I do not understand it, the reasoning behind it.

Thanks.

note: this is completely irrelevent from being in college now. This has happened to me for as long as I can remember, and I figured I'd bring it up here. If the lemonade stand or elsewhere would be better, then I don't mind if this is moved.

hm, dunno. I've never said either, b/c if someone reminds me of someone else, usually that someone doesn't really care so I kept it to myself, and I'm really good at remembering people, so I never say "I think I know you".

The only people I remind other people of are my mom and my mom's older sister.

I've gotten it occasionally, and the really funny, but somewhat creepy, part is when the people that say that keep looking at me with this inquisitive look. It's as if they expect me to tell them who I remind them of. How the freakin' hell am I supposed to know? :shrug:

Sometimes I feel like saying "Yeah! I remind you of that axe murderer a from a few years ago. You know, the one that would chop up people who asked her inane questions." :evil:

Last edited:
Oh, I think it all the time, although I don't usually say it.:lol: For me, it's a similarity in face, or voice or movement that I just can't pinpoint and I can go crazy until I can connect that similarity for myself even when it doesn't mean anything.

I get it a lot. But they can never remember it. Though today this guy could....and the person was Hilary Swank. What the heck? I don`t look anything like her.

I think it`s usually a conversation starter.

I get it ALL THE TIME.... did you used to work here? Are you from here? And the other day someone told me they saw me give a lecture at a conference. I don't know, I must just have one of those faces.

I am sure there are actually good scientific reasons for this, given common ancestors and so forth.

No one has ever shown me someone that looks like me anyways, so I don't understand the whole brother thing............. :confused:

Maybe by having a more reserved personality, more guesswork is left up to someone, and this is a way of just trying connect you with something they already know?

I don't know. :shrug:

I never get those...

but I do catch a lot of look-alikes... being the true and the false

the true ones are really alike

the false ones are son unlike the person, but still alike, that it's just too damn funny :laugh:

I know it has nothing to do, but it's close... :reject:

think about it, it's a false look alike of the same theme :wink:

Back
Top Bottom