When you go to an Asian restaurant do you use the chop sticks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I went to a sushi bar yesterday and all my friends kept being pretentios and eating with the chop sticks. I tried but after completely destroying one of the roles I said "screw it" and ate with knife and fork. Everyone was like "We're never coming with you again this is so embarrassing." They were joking but it still I was like :huh:.

I think Jerry Seinfeld said it best "I'll tell you what I like about the Chinese people ...they're hanging in there with the chop stcks. You'd think they'd already see the obvious 'Shovel' it's right there. You're not plowing 40 acres with a couple of pool cues..."

I refuse to ever attempt eating with chop sticks though. What a waste of time. :grumpy:

....:wink:

I don't and I don't really care and would hope the restaurant doesn't either, since I'm still buying their food, regardless of how I eat it.

Sure I use chopsticks. I learned that in Japan when I was five years old.

everyone should eat with whatever he wants. It is totally usual to use fork and knive at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant too. But i prefer sticks, because you kinda eat slower, you know. You enjoy the food more. And it´s not difficult once you´re used to it. With sushi its simple, just just take it in between the sticks and eat it.. with the sauce. With rice its more difficult but when it´s sticky - the way it should be - it works quite fine.

Last edited:
Haha that's a funny story. I actually go out for sushi all the time... and I have my own chopsticks :reject:

one time, daisy and i went to the movies like 3 years ago. we ordered chinese food to sneak into the movies. and she requested chopsticks. the waitress and i looked at her wierd and daisy said..."i know how":yes:

she taught me how to use chopsticks that night:D

If you don't want to use them, ask for a fork..no big deal. And yes, I use them if they are offered. It just takes some patience and practice but its really not all that hard.

And why is it pretentious to use chopsticks in an Asian restaurant? Just curious.

For some reason I think it is ok to eat typical Chinese or Japanese food with a fork, but you have to use chopsticks for Sushi. Sushi is somehow different and to use a fork is plain wrong.

I normally go for the chopsticks. But it's more in the spirit of pride than anything else. Won't be beaten by those chopsticks! Gets a bit silly with the individual rice grain scenario at the end, though...

I'm korean, so I kinda... have to.
when I'm dining out with my parents at an oriental type of restaurant my parents glare at me when I ask for a fork :shrug:

I'm down with either though, unless it's something like noodles.
that's when I bust out my fork skills :giggle:

lizzy_d said:
I normally go for the chopsticks. But it's more in the spirit of pride than anything else. Won't be beaten by those chopsticks! Gets a bit silly with the individual rice grain scenario at the end, though...

Know that if you were actually dining in China, it would be convenient to leave a little of rice in the cup as to not disappoint the waiter/ cook: if you finish it all, you are implying that the portion wasn´t big enough. if you leave just a bite of rice, you imply that it was perfect and you are satisfied.

I usually don't on account of the fact I'm rather slow with them (noodle dishes especially).

I don't use chopsticks, but don't mind if others do.

I think your friends were rude to make fun of you for not using them, BrownEyedBoy (as you would be for making fun of them for using them...).

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Know that if you were actually dining in China, it would be convenient to leave a little of rice in the cup as to not disappoint the waiter/ cook: if you finish it all, you are implying that the portion wasn´t big enough. if you leave just a bite of rice, you imply that it was perfect and you are satisfied.

Any other formalities?

I know a few - - - drum solo's with chopsticks is kind of insulting, I've head. And also, on a more ... traditional level, I've head that where you point your chopsticks has meaning... But that stems from my dad's trips to Hong Kong. It sort of makes sense, with my very little understanding of fengshui, as to why you don't want to "point" them at other people...

I love chopsticks - I think they make the food taste better.

IT's kind of sad, though, because they make you "ask" for chopsticks at all the places around me. I understand that, they wouldn't want them to go to waste. But I don't know, not many people use them.

DARN! I'm super hungery for some super Chinese food now.....
And we were talking about going to get some soon, maybe tonight or this weekend.

Chinese food = :drool:
Chopsticks = :drool:

Me eating Chinese food with chopsticks = :drool: :yes: :D :drool:

......*sigh*......

I didn't know about the rice thing, though, leaving a little left...... that makes sense.

Ah, it's things like that that fascinate me so! So considerate... I am slowly starting to learn more about Asian culture, so it is all interesting to me.

Especially if learning involves eating more delicious food....

:rockon:

PS - rarely, when I do eat chips or dorritos, etc....
I use chopsticks, because they keep your hands clean!
BUt I don't do that a whole lot......

Man, I'm really ......
In need of some food, especially Asian food... even some white rice...
..................... :drool:

somehow I've got to stop thinking about Chicken & Broccoli and start thinking about breakfast. It's 540AM...... it will be a long time before I can get any "food"......

:( :( I guess toast will have to do for now :( :(

For Honor said:
somehow I've got to stop thinking about Chicken & Broccoli and start thinking about breakfast. It's 540AM...... it will be a long time before I can get any "food"......

:( :( I guess toast will have to do for now :( :(

Why? Why dont you have chicken and broccoli for breakfast? I have rice for breakfast on a regular basis as do many "Asian" people.

I have to get some, though....... maybe that would be like a good way for me to get into cooking - just...... rice and simple dishes...........

:drool:

but I don't have ANNYTHING............:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Yes....... and then......... then I iwill get lots of rice....

yes.......

lots and lots and lots of rice!!!!!!!!!

:macdevil: :macdevil: :macdevil:

And other foods, too. Broccoli, chicken , whatever.......

mmm..... I enjoy eating nowadays. I used to hate it.......
But it's so good.......

I'm one of those weird people who can eat anything, and doesn't gain weight easily...... which is hard if you are trying to build muscle. But I guess I'm alright, good body type etc.

I just

need some chinese food really bad...... :sad: :sad:

Back
Top Bottom