When you go to an Asian restaurant do you use the chop sticks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indra said:
I don't use chopsticks, but don't mind if others do.

I think your friends were rude to make fun of you for not using them, BrownEyedBoy (as you would be for making fun of them for using them...).

They weren't really making fun of me but they were like "you're embarrassing us..." but I just shrugged that off. :wink:

Boy, I thought this thread wouldn't amount to much...

Well I think it's pretentious to use chop sticks when you're at a Chinese place especially here in Honduras where people act like it's "culture". My line of thinking is "I feel much more comfortable with a fork and knife and it's much more convenient anyway."

And I my friends aren't really experts at using the chop sticks. They just use them at the suship place so the people around them can see them. (It's because the sushi place here is really expensive and so only people with "class" go there :rolleyes: )

Some people I know just never really catch on to chopsticks, I guess. I don't have a problem with it, but it really isn't that hard to do. Besides, I always feel cool when I use them :cool:

lol:wink:

But there really isn't anything quite like shoveling a bowl of white rice into your mouth while using chopsticks. I highly recommend it. :yes:

For Honor said:

Any other formalities?

I know a few - - - drum solo's with chopsticks is kind of insulting, I've head. And also, on a more ... traditional level, I've head that where you point your chopsticks has meaning... But that stems from my dad's trips to Hong Kong. It sort of makes sense, with my very little understanding of fengshui, as to why you don't want to "point" them at other people...

Thats the only thing i have heard but I can imagine the pointing thing very well, its like, who you´re pointing at, don´t want to offend :) i should watch that next time in the restaurant lol

i always use chopsticks in restaurants. it adds to the "mood" of the meal for me. it seems to make it more leisurely.

not that there's anything wrong with not using them.

just don't poke yourself in the eye with either of them :wink:

I usually use them, but I have a hard time with them and make a huge mess when I'm having noodles or soup.

white rice :yuck:

meegannie said:
white rice :yuck:

I'm no cook but if you want to "spice" it up somewhat (simple dishes are all I can do), scramble some eggs, throw the white rice into the pan, add some soy sauce and cook for a bit more (like maybe 5 minutes (as the rice should be just cold and cooked already-- you're just reheating it)-- salt and pepper to taste).

Voila-- simple white rice no more. :)

zumanity42 said:
i always use chopsticks in restaurants. it adds to the "mood" of the meal for me. it seems to make it more leisurely.

:rockon:

If you don;t like white rice, give it to me, and I will like you.

See, everyone is happy that way. :yes: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom