when it rains it pours. bit more than I can take.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
it's been awhile since I've posted here.

apparently all the vileness was being saved up to hit us all at once.

• Broke my back
  • Spouse got fired
  • corrollary: Lost health insurance when this happened

Then the real crap hit.
My dad's partner of some 26 years has always had an alcohol problem.
In April, she apparently tried to let her dog out to take a walk at about 3:30AM.
She was very inebriated and fell down two flights of outdoor stairs, fracturing her skull and injuring her brain badly, which caused a bad bleed inside her skull. It was worse because she was so drunk -- alcohol prevents blood from clotting.

Somehow she got back into her house, and like the other times the alcohol caused an accident, she tried to cover it up. I think she tried to take a shower. In the end she ended up in a seizure on her couch.
Her dog barked and barked until the neighbors came out to see what was going on and found her that way around 5AM.

Her brain was so badly damaged that it had swelled and herniated - part of it passed through the hole at the base of the skull where the spinal column connects. She was brain-dead, no activity at all.
57 years old. Half her life spent with my dad.

We let her go, took out the machines keeping her body alive, and she passed a day later.

They never married, didn't find it needed since they were both divorcees already. She did not leave a will.

This meant everything went to her 96 year old mother, senile and in ill health.

There's two nieces I've never met in those 26 years that Kathy was part of my family, who suddenly appeared acting as though they were the only ones with a right to grieve and trying to exclude my father from everything.
26 goddamn years.

Vying for property. Dollar signs where their hearts should be.

Her mother died of grief a few weeks later. My father spent his days by her bedside, taking care of her as he always has in the decades.. he was closer to her than his own late mother.

These nieces spent their time ransacking her home and getting lawyers secured to grab as much of both estates as they could.

Why. What possesses people to become vultures in this kind of situation. Where is the dignity, the decency, the basic courtesy? Where is the simple goddamned understanding that a legal paragraph on a piece of paper is not the only thing that proves a relationship was deep and real?

I've been to too many funerals this year.
I hate the entire human race, some days.
Trying to keep my father sane through this. It's not the property I care about. It's how they're treating him like dirt.

The next person who tried to feed me that pap about how "god only gives you as much as you can handle" is going to have my fist down their throat.
I never believed in any god anyway and this is one more reason why.

I'm the one who washed her blood and fecal matter off the walls and floor of that bathroom where she tried to shower. Head injuries that severe often cause involuntary evacuation of the bowels. She'd evidently managed to get into the tub but couldn't make it work.
It took me, my brother and two friends four hours to clean up all the blood in her condo, all the more jarring because she always kept it so meticulously clean. We weren't going to let our dad see that.
Blood everywhere. The walls, the floor, the stairs outside.
Where the fuck were those nieces then?

I'm the one taking care of her dog now, 12 years old and completely lost without her. I'm the one who washed her blood off his fur, proof of how he'd stayed by her however long she lay outside. I can't even pay my own vet bills right now let alone take on another dog, but I'm apparently the only one who can do it. Nieces? No, no, couldn't possibly.

I. Hate. Everyone.

So stupid. Such a senseless way to die. Pointless. I haven't gotten past that anger yet either. I don't know how. If I could see her now I sometimes think I'd start screaming about what her addiction did to my father. He doesn't deserve any of this to happen to him. Why. Just fucking why.

Why?

I tried to reply to this once, and I couldn't effectively say what I wanted to. It's a horrible situation, and you have my sympathy, and I'm not sure what the courts are like where you are but I imagine they could judge favourably with you if you can demonstrate that she had no relationship with the nieces and did have a strong long-term relationship with your dad. You have enough examples to cite, I'm sure you don't need to be told what they are.

I guess the only thing that I can suggest that'd really be helpful doesn't involve dealing with your grief at all, and I'm sorry I can't help more in that regard, but you should ask yourself the question 'is my anger about this situation making my life better, or helping me deal with it in any way?' and I think you'll find the answer is no. Some things just are the way they are and it needs to be acknowledged that you have no power to change them; not that ignoring the problem will make it go away, but just working to change the things you can change and accepting those that you can't. What happened doesn't make sense, the reactions of those nieces don't make sense, and they probably never will. Try to spend less time figuring them out, and more time caring for yourself and your needs.

I think this is one of the saddest things I've ever read. I feel like anything I say would be trite...but I will say that I am truly sorry you are enduring all of this. I sincerely hope that better times are ahead.

^ I agree. I wanted to respond yesterday but I just didn't know what to say. I'm really sorry you are going through this. You seem like such a decent person. Its always the good people that don't deserve things like this to happen to them. :(

same here, I wish I could answer your question, but honestly I do not know how people can be so greedy and vile while others hurt over it. Why put money over a life or love? it makes no sense!
:hug: the best of luck to you and I hope it all turns out ok, you sure as hell don't deserve this!

^ I agree. I wanted to respond yesterday but I just didn't know what to say. I'm really sorry you are going through this. You seem like such a decent person. Its always the good people that don't deserve things like this to happen to them. :(

:sad: I also don't know what to say. The whole situation is tragic and I think you have a right to be angry & upset at the world. I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's good to vent and let it all out. Like Sicy said, it's always the good people.... :hug:

I'm sorry. That is just such utterly and totally horrible that there is nothing else to say, other than I'm sorry and you don't deserve it. I hope you can find a way to make it through, there are a lot of very caring people here who are always ready and willing to listen and offer emotional support.

I. Hate. Everyone.

Why. Just fucking why.

Why?

No you don't, hate everyone. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here.

My brother passed away recently.

Why?
There are no real answer's.
You deal with the grief and work through the anger .
The rest has it's own way of working out.
Nothing you are going through is easy or simple.
You just have to go through it..
Whether you want to be stronger or not is up to you.

My heart goes out to you. :hug:

Wolfeden, I am so so sorry to read this :sad:

I remember you from the TP forum .. I just wanted to send you my best wishes, if that helps any :)

I read this yesterday too and I didn't know what to say, there's nothing really other than I'm sorry and I hope you have somewhere to turn to other than here. You need that. I also think sue4u2 is a very wise person and that she said something profound in very few words.

I hope you can find strength and comfort somehow. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and the bullshit surrounding it as well! I would be absolutely blue with anger, so you feel that anger as much as you want, and then channel it into something positive. People can be the most wonderful beings alive, and then can be the worse horrendous beings ever!

i hope some good can come from this :hug:

I'm very sorry for you and your dad, it's really difficult to find something to say to you that could be relevant in these circumstances, just remember we're here if you need to talk. You'll be my prayers :hug:

I think this is one of the saddest things I've ever read. I feel like anything I say would be trite...but I will say that I am truly sorry you are enduring all of this. I sincerely hope that better times are ahead.

I am very sorry.

thank you all, especially for making me think..

:hug: Happy to see you've been back to read what people have posted. I've had periods in my life happen like in yours and I've survived. I've been told I have incredible strength so I must. All I can really say to you is to take a step back, take a deep breath and from there it's just to take life one small step at a time. Some days are better than others. When crap is thrown your way, deal with it and move on, but it's OK to feel all the feelings and the sadness. It eventually gets better. Surround yourself with supportive family and friends, a good therapist, a good doctor, and know what things you can do to help yourself cope (coping mechanisms). Best of all be good to yourself and patient in allowing yourself to feel sad, grieve, etc. Of course there are plenty of good people here to lend a listening ear as well. Best of luck to you and a whole lot of :hug:s

What horrible things have happened to you... :( Like many others reading your post, I honestly don't quite know what to say either. I can just wish you good luck and lots of strength in all the bad situations you encounter, and hope that life will take a better turn for you soon... :hug:

thank you again all.
it's.. humbling how many people remember me after such a long absence, and even more so that new people have such caring things to say as well. You're incredible people, all of you.

we're taking it a step at a time. gearing up for the inevitable court dates vs. the nieces, mostly just being there for my dad. calling him every day even if it's just for a few moments. reminding him we're here to turn to.

Sometimes You Can't.. came up on my mp3 player the other night and it made me just blow it. Hadn't cried like that since the funeral. It's so close to the bone.

thank you all so much.

Back
Top Bottom