When are we over them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no, another starry eyed chat..........

good luck, you two.

------------------------------

(you are over someone....

when you say you are)

Interesting thread, some things I've wondered about here. I am a year and a few months past the end of a fairly short relationship (four months, though we were sort of unofficially going out for a couple of months before that and had been good friends some time before that). He broke it off (he had also asked me out originally) after doing yoyos for ages and telling me one minute how happy he was, the next that he wasn't happy enough and his ex girlfriend had made him happier, etc. (apologies if this is sounding familiar to anyone, I did have one or two threads about it up here before, but a while ago). I didn't realize during the relationship how much all this was hurting me, but it really hit me hard afterward. Initially he said he wanted to be friends again, and I thought I felt the same but I was too angry/hurt for it to be really feasible...also, we were in the same congregation and thus saw each other usually at least one or twice a week and not infrequently in the company of mutual friends, which was extremely difficult for me (not sure about him) and must have prolonged things. Mostly we kept our distance but we had a couple of semi-fights (by text...how sad) which I'm afraid were mostly my fault and made things worse. By the time I moved away a few weeks ago, we were able to be cordial with each other, but we never have anything like a genuine conversation, I don't expect him to keep in touch, and I'd say it's only technically that we're still friends.

Anyway, I've now left the country (yup! but not mainly to flee this situation, which had improved by the time I left) and am living in a new city...but I doubt I am entirely over the situation. It was really my first relationship, and not getting much distance afterward didn't help either. It's not that I still love him or have wanted to get back together for a very long time. I realized very quickly after it ended that it wouldn't have worked and that he was a very selfish individual and much less mature than I'd given him credit for. It's more that I still tend to dwell on things and get angry, and I can still feel very hurt. I think it's mainly when I'm on my own or feeling lonely. I have a few friends here but haven't really got to know many people yet or built a network. I am hoping that once that happens all the bad stuff will fade for good, but I'm a bit scared because I'm already living in a city I love and have wanted to live in for a long time...and I still dwell on the stuff that happened last year. I could imagine myself with someone else at this point; I've met at least one guy since I got here who I found very attractive (whether or not he felt similarly, or if I ever see much of him, is another question). But I'm afraid that I might eventually begin a new relationship and find that I'm still dwelling on the stuff that happened with my ex. I mean, forever, or at least for a very long time. And the thought horrifies me.

I'm sorry for the bad experiences a lot of you have had but I admit it's a slight relief to know I'm not the only one who really struggles with this kind of thing.

hmmmmmmmmm..when ya gat that angry feelin' why not write down what's goin on inside of you in a journal? also writing letters you never intend to send is a good form of expressing and
working through these types of things
you have no one to express these things too ...so this might help ya to gain perspective on all these issues ya have
:hug: finding a friend ya feel like you can confide in helps too

I wonder sometimes if it is okay to ''not get over someone...''

I know I'm always going to associate some things with a certain person, especially because she was the first, the first time I ever had real feelings for another.

I can accept that I will always certain feel something towards her, regardless of what happens. But I suppose a large part of that has to do with coming to peace with yourself...

I am sorta there, I think........ :huh:

carrieluvv said:
hmmmmmmmmm..when ya gat that angry feelin' why not write down what's goin on inside of you in a journal? also writing letters you never intend to send is a good form of expressing and
working through these types of things
you have no one to express these things too ...so this might help ya to gain perspective on all these issues ya have
:hug: finding a friend ya feel like you can confide in helps too

Yeah I'm a pretty avid journal writer already...it's a good idea. It's helped me work through more than one problem in the 12 years I've been doing it. Trouble is it can also increase the whole "dwelling" thing and over analyzing, something I'm way too good at. Happily, over the last year I also had some friends I could vent to. I had one good friend who texted me almost every day for two months, and often after that, to see how I was doing. Other friends listened and sometimes offered suggestions (many of which were good, but inevitably they all conflicted.) But I tend to downplay things and not totally let go and rant when I have someone to talk to, and not to do it more often either. I don't know if it's some attempt to save my pride, or what. I think I scare people when I burst into tears and rant as I'm generally known as an easy going person. I also feel like I'm imposing on people or becoming needy when I talk their ear off about such issues. I scared my parents by wanting to discuss my emotions :ohmy:

As for letters! I actually wrote one and gave it to him. I have mixed feelings about having done this. I had some people say "write it but don't give it to him" and others say "if you need to express yourself give it to him." I tried to not just rant, but I was probably too honest. I think overall it probably made things worse between us (though he claimed he appreciated me being honest with him...after he denied all my main points and said I didn't really know him...whatever). But I'm kind of glad I got to tell him honestly how I felt. I didn't really get to do that when we actually broke up as I was too upset and confused and didn't have a lot to say. I'd say you're playing with fire when you give someone a letter in that situation, though. I'm not sure I would do it again. I'd consider it...but I'm not sure I would do it.

Thanks! :)

For Honor said:

I can accept that I will always certain feel something towards her, regardless of what happens. But I suppose a large part of that has to do with coming to peace with yourself...

Yes. I think part of my problem is feeling angry with myself for some mistakes I made, and just insecurity and not valuing myself highly enough. So this is something I need to work on too...

Back
Top Bottom