What's Wrong with Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I have just been feeling like crap this week. I am an amateur photographer, working on his first book. I have been going to Community College, the last 8years, One year it's teacher, next it's history, then photography. I am 26 yrs old, am I to old to fully realize what I always loved when I was a kid, which is Shark and history. Am I to old to go for a major in History and a minor in Marine Biology? I'm Stuck in a Moment I can't get out of (really) I have been seeing new reports about sharks lately and I am thinking man all this new research about sharks and wanting to run back to the California Academy of Sciences makes me want to minor in Marine Biology. Problem is I am ADD and yes there are many times where I feel hopeless and dumb and want to graduate like my friends have. I feel like I shamed my parents.

You are never too old to go to school for something. If this is truly what you want for yourself, you should get on track to make it happen ASAP. There are a lot of people who can't even pinpoint something that they would love to study. If you have something specific you are interesting in pursuing, you should go for it.

Okay, and now that I've said that...a little tough love...and I may sound harsh, but I swear I am trying to be as nice as possible...and I'm saying this for your benefit.

This is not the first time you have posted something along the lines of this. There is a lot of woe is me and talking down of yourself. With an attitude like that, it is no wonder that you still find yourself stalled. You have mentioned in the past wanting to finish school, and you have mentioned this field of interest to, so I know this isn't just the flavor of the week. You have put a lot of thought into it, this is something you truly have an interest in.

You can keep posting here about this and continue to have people dish out advice laced with sympathetic hugs and words of encouragement...but it would be really awesome if you would start thinking a little more highly of yourself and not feeling so defeated in life and taking some of the advice and words of encouragement you have been offered in the past and doing something with them.

I haven't always been the greatest example of practicing what I preach. I've gone through spells where I have thought next to nothing of myself and felt unsuccessful and down in the dumps, so I don't mean to get on your case so much for feeling this way, I understand. However, continuing to do that will do nothing to help you change things.

I know what your saying Bonochick. I think what really got me was I tried really really hard this semester to pass my math class, which I mentioned in the past is my kryptonite and I was shy 30 points and my teacher failed me for the semester. I should not look on that, and look at finally getting out of this muck and moaping.

Thank You for the tough love.

If it makes you feel any better, I was always a good student, mostly got A's with a few B's, and I was considered smart...but math killed me. :doh: I still kept my grades up, but I really had to work hard. I was also lucky in middle and high school that I had two friends who were good at math and willing to help me whenever I needed it.

In college, the first math course I took wasn't even a 100 level...I think it was like 097. My grades and placement scores were so high in everything else that the college said I could take a higher course, but I decided to not push it. I worked hard, and I ended up acing the course, so I think I could have gone more advanced...but it was nice to get the reinforcement, since I wasn't confident with my skills.

I also participated in a study group with some classmates, so we all helped each other out. People who were failing suddenly saw themselves getting B's and C's after we all started studying together. If you don't have friends in classes like that, I would definitely look into tutoring options, if you haven't already. Having some extra support can really make a difference.

Justin, age really isn't an excuse. I was like 114 when I went back to school. ;) If Marine Biology is something you're truly passionate about, any math-related courses you need to take will be a little more tolerable because they're enabling you to work toward a goal. I'm not math inclined either, but I had to take an intro to algebra course (even though it'd been like 86 years since I'd done any math in a school setting), and I was able to pass it with some help. Then I had to take four different statistics courses, from intro to super-duper advanced to get my degree. It wasn't easy, and they were my lowest marks, but yay, I did it. When doing my thesis and having to actually use the statistics I've learned, I feel like I understand it so much better than I did in class, now that I've used the theory and skills in a real-world application that actually matters to me.

Also, many colleges and universities offer extra help for students with learning disabilities. Have you looked into that? There are learning and teaching methods that have been developed for students with ADHD, and sometimes schools will allow special provisions for students with ADD/ADHD, like breaking up an exam over several days, for example.

Good luck!

I've been down in the dumps so I know how you feel Justin. You have a lot going for you though, so you can pull yourself up and out of it. An associate of mine recently suggested to me I try something that works for her which I have been working on with success. Give serious thought to things you really want out of life, things you want to do, places you want to go, etc. Your goals, your aspirations. Once you make a list it doesn't take long before you will be checkingthings off the list which is a really good feeling. It will change your outlook a LOT.

If it makes you feel any better, people fail classes all the time. My son failed a course this past semester. He is angry with himself for not having gotten a passing grade, and it will cost him another $1,000 but he plans to take the summer off then re-take the class again with the mindset to pass it. You can do that too :wink: Good luck! :up:

Justin, 26 is still a very young age, you know! As someone who has worked in higher education I want to emphasize 2 things that have already been mentioned, offering my perspective and experience:

1) It is NEVER too late to pursue a new direction. People in my field have noticed a rise in number of "non-traditional aged students", as we call them. There's all sorts of research being done as we speak as higher ed professionals are learning more about this population and doing what they can to make sure their unique needs are met. I think you'll find as you continue to pursue your education, your classmates will become more diverse in population with regard to age. I personally think that a variety benefits the classroom because people from different backgrounds and experience offer new perspectives and ideas. A classroom can really benefit from you being there, just as much as you can benefit from learning the material.

2) You should definitely stop by the Services for Students with Disabilities office at your college. Community Colleges in particular generally have more resources available than even some four year universities. That's why I preferred to work at a CC over a uni, I feel like CCs were more responsive to students' needs. They can help you determine the support you need and I think you'll feel a lot more confident in your pursuit.

Good luck, Justin. I hope the best for you. Follow your dreams!

I dunno, I'm 36 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, so I'm not much help. I can say that it's good you're getting a lot of education, even if you go into a different field than what you've studied for thus far. A well-rounded education is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom