What's Uni all about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:
FOXfire,

Are you at UWO?

Yes indeedy. More specifically, I'm at (get this, this is the official title) King's University-College at the University of Western Ontario. :shifty:

It's not really any different from main-campus UWO, though.

Haha.

OK, I was gonna PM you so as to not derail, but you don't take PMs. :madspit: I went up to Western to see their law school a little while ago. Nice campus! How much would housing go around there, say a 1 bedroom place, and nothing filthy? I'm too old to live with gross undergrads. ;)

Well, I still live at home, so I'm not positive... but my girlfriend lives on Richmond between the university gates and Brough's bridge, in one of the apartment buildings there. It's nice, and I think she's paying $550 a month... but, I'm not positive, I'll have to check with her. It depends on availability too, obviously, and there's never any guaruntee that you'll be able to find a place that close to campus. You can go cheaper, I think, but they're going to be dives that smell of cat piss and vomit. Depends on how much love you have for commuting.

Indeed, though, the campus is beautiful, as long as you ignore the library/Social Science building, and their horrible cement facing... yuck. We have many other fine buildings though, to be sure. Engineering, University College, the Don Wright Faculty of Music, the Stephenson Law building (?), etc... all very nice.

And I can't blame you for not wanting to live with a bunch of gross, drunken undergrads. I can barely stand being educated along-side them. London, if you arent the 'omg I r going 2 go n git wasted ev-r-e night roffel' kindof gal, which I'm fairly certain you arent :wink:, doesn't offer a lot to do in the evenings. Our culture is very limited, because by 'culture', Londoners must have decided that everything apart from drinking was excluded as acceptable evening behaviour. Mind you, it forces you to do work, since there are no non-liquor-related indulgent extravagencies to go and amuse yourself with. So... assuming that you actually want to get your degree ;) that's probably an additional benefit.

so it was a good thing that transportation would have been too much, and i didn't bother to fill out the application there.

it's probably still at the bottom of my desk at home. :hmm:

University is a massive waste of time if you allow your parents to dictate what courses you will or will not be taking. I honestly think I may have to drop out, it's getting that bad. I never wanted to do a B.Sc. to begin with. But because my father basically won't let me do anything else, I'm stuck with it. He's allowed me to stop taking chemistry as a major (thank heavens for that), but he won't let me take English, history, or any of the things I'm actually interested in. No, he's sending me off into the male-dominated world of computer science instead! Hurrah, how interesting that sounds! Next semester will be yet another assortment of disappointments and tears unless I manage to do the impossible and convince him that I am legally considered an adult. He still thinks I'm twelve, you see.

So here's my advice for those of you who will be entering university soon - do what you want to do. If your parents push you in a direction you really couldn't care less for, refuse it. It'll save you a lot of frustration and terrible grades.

IWasBored said:
so it was a good thing that transportation would have been too much, and i didn't bother to fill out the application there.

it's probably still at the bottom of my desk at home. :hmm:

Transportation isn't that bad, actually... $90 of our tuition goes towards an 8 month unlimited bus pass. Which, if you were to pay the $2.50/trip instead, would ammount to far more than $90. Of course, whether the busses are reliable and stuff is a different matter :shifty:

GG, are your parents paying your tuition? Because if they aren't, they really should have no say. And even if they are, they should realize that when you are studying something you actually enjoy, you will do much better at school. Incentive is a powerful thing.

London, if you arent the 'omg I r going 2 go n git wasted ev-r-e night roffel' kindof gal, which I'm fairly certain you arent , doesn't offer a lot to do in the evenings. Our culture is very limited, because by 'culture', Londoners must have decided that everything apart from drinking was excluded as acceptable evening behaviour.

This is exactly what I'm weary of. I'm 26, I left my undergrad in my undergrad and I think at this age it's just really lame to not remember any details between Thursday-Saturday night. I actually really like the law school at Western and the admin people are lovely and helpful, but I sometimes wonder whether when employers see Western on your resume, they just assume that while the other kids were edumacating themselves over at Osgoode and UofT, you were passed out at Western. The reputation thing does worry me.

Well, law school is still law school... I mean, nobody can take away from you that Law is far more difficult than, say, an MA in 18th Century Canadian Lit (I dunno, I just made that up *shrug*). And besides. Just because you're a lawyer doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have fun.

Working at Ivey's conference center on campus, and coming into contact with a lot of grads and grad students, the thing that really gets me is how stuck up/pretentious/arrogant/etc all the lawyers and MBAs (from all over north america) I see are... and yeah, they've done the extra work, they get good paying jobs because of it, but most of them are (from appearances, anyway) soulless asshats care more for money and opinion than truth or decency. But maybe they're only jerks because I'm working food service, and they just don't have any class. *shrug*

Point is, Western's not a bad spot, and what's true for mommy and daddy's little guys and girls in undergrad is hardly true amongst our grad-school attendees who have to work their asses off.

:bump:

40 days left... I can't wait...... even if it's going to be.......... well... even if I come back and have to blow off some steam here....

For Honor said:
:bump:

40 days left... I can't wait...... even if it's going to be.......... well... even if I come back and have to blow off some steam here....

40 days of what? :curious:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

Working at Ivey's conference center on campus, and coming into contact with a lot of grads and grad students, the thing that really gets me is how stuck up/pretentious/arrogant/etc all the lawyers and MBAs (from all over north america) I see are... and yeah, they've done the extra work, they get good paying jobs because of it, but most of them are (from appearances, anyway) soulless asshats care more for money and opinion than truth or decency.

My brother said to me, "so you're going from cancer research to law, it's like giving up a sure spot in heaven for one in hell."

Lawyers can still be 'good' people. I've met many nice ones. People can be cancer researchers not for their love of science, but only to hold it over other people's heads and pretend to be better; or, cancer researchers can be 'bad' people. :shrug: Bad things for good reasons, good things for bad reasons... very tricky area, but the line can be romanced, and you can still be very successful without compromising too much, or becoming a no-class self-important jerk.

I'm considering law myself, to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom