What is your definition of love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

(to be terrible, does anyone else have "I Want to Know What Love Is," by Foreigner stuck in their heads after reading this thread?)

(i want you to show me)

"In my life there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if i can face it again
Can't stop now, i've traveled so far
To change this lonely life

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
I wanna feel what love is
I know you can show me"

(... I myself prefer Foreigner's "Urgent" :wink: )

ummm... btw, wasn't he singing to "God" and not necessariley to a woman???

My understanding of the Scriptures has been made simple by the person of Christ. Christ teaches that God is love ... and as much as I respond in allowing myself to be transformed by that love and acting in that love, that's my religion. Where things get complicated for me, is when I try to live this love. Now that's not so easy.
-Bono, 'Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas'

^
(I respect Bono a great deal for this. I don't neccesarily share his idea exactly, but I sure do respect that view and understand where he is coming from. A veiw like that, I say, is something I can really understand and respect)

girlhappy said:
For HOnor, i read Bonos quote about God and love and dont get it, how can you explain his idea?

Now, everything can be interpreted however anyone wants
But I will explain as best I can

My interpretation of Bono's statement:
Bono is saying that he is unique in his religion, that he does not neccesarily follow the bible word for word. He is say that he has his own understanding of what love is, and who Christ is, and how love and Christ go together. "Christ teaches that God is love", he says. Basically, he says that his religion is allowing God's love to transform him, acting in that love. He closes by saying that the hard part is living it in real life, in reality. As in, even though he knows what God and/or God's love is about (in his own way, to himself), it is difficult to bring that into reality, and live that way, even though he is a human being. Kind of like making an ideal a reality - sometimes it's hard to do.

This reminds me, a bit, of "Acrobat"

I must be
an acrobat
to talk like this
and act like that.............

===========
==============
=================

Now, as for why I praised Bono for making that statment:
Bono is thinking for himself, and has his own personal relationship with god. More so, he's being real about what he thinks. It doesn't matter if I think the same way about god or love as he does, because that is his own personal choice, and I have no say in it. But I still respect him because of the way he addresses his decision, how he comes to his conclusion about god/love. I like this because Bono made the religion his own, and it's more real, I feel, that way.

Like covering a song - if Bono were to sing Unchained Melody just as the Righteous Brothers did, exactly copying it, then I don't think it would be the same as U2's cover of the same song. In doing it his own way, it is more authentic, more real.

(by the by, I love U2's cover of unchained melody. It's great - the B side of 1980-1990....)

In conclusion...
Bono's statement reflects an personal choice. His reference to love is in a spiritual nature here. It seems as though the question was more about religion than about love, but he infused love in his answer, speaking about Christ, his religion, and god.

To make a bit of a stretch, I'd say that he see's real love as acting in the way Jesus did - Jesus acted with love and compassion, etc. In his own way, he tries to follow in those footsteps, love like Jesus. But it's hard to do sometimes, ( as, though this may be disputed in certain forums, he seems to be admiting he is not Jesus :wink: )

for those of you that feel the need to continually analyze and question my posts in this thread:

kindly refer back to the original question at hand (i.e. what is YOUR definition of love?)

i merely answered that question.

i did NOT codemn anyone in providing my first or subsequent response.

i did NOT remotely imply that any individual who posseses an alternative definition of love ought to rot in hell or the like.

i also did NOT imply that such individuals are devoid of any semblence of love. in fact, i'll be the first to tell you that, living in a multicultural/multireligious society, i have dear Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist friends who demonstrate much altruism, goodwill, kindness, compassion, etc.

on the other hand, i hold the belief that those who do not know and trust in Jesus (and Jesus alone) as Saviour also do not know love in its truest and highest form.

of course, for those of you that may be a wee bit "slow", notice that i ever so kindly qualified the latter statement with "i hold the belief". . . ". . . you know, just so you don't go and get your panties in a bunch. i seem to have made the mistake of assuming that people here automatically recognized that that which one posts is not a dictum for all, especially when it is offered in response to another's prompting for people's opinions/beliefs/etc. on a subject. silly me. :tsk:

yimou, let me make one thing clear. it's existential, "everyone ought to embrace all world religions/philosophies/perspectives" people like you that make ME want to :yawn: AND, for that matter, :barf:

don't get me wrong though, i still :heart: you :sexywink:

Last edited:
TripThruUreWires said:
yimou, let me make one thing clear. it's existential, "everyone ought to embrace all world religions/philosophies/perspectives" people like you that make ME want to :yawn: AND, for that matter, :barf:

I made someone overreact and :barf: !!!! :happy:

I am not quite sure if i :heart: you anymore :hmm: You might have to say it again to win me over :sexywink:

what more, in the name of love?

I spent my evenig yesterday with a friend who broke down with her boyfriend a few weeks ago. she was betrayed...
She said to me that she realizes she felt something for this person just when he said he was going to leave her.
I asked her if she's sure she was in love...

I am almost sure she was not. She was not angry, she just felt a lil affection for him (perhaps) -- but definetly NOT love...

If she was in love, she would have reacted -- she did not.
And I think she is scared because she knows this.
Their relation was just a habit...

When you are in love you think that special someone is perfect, but if you love him or her you think that persons deffects and mistacs are perfect and totally undestand it, love it. I believe being in love is sth from the moment and it's not as important as loving somebody and sorry if I'm not clear but i don't speak english very good

Thank you For Honor and trash con for yor help about Bonos quote. I know it sounds simple, but we all very well know that nothing is that simple for Bono. For Honor i understood it in a a very similar way as you did, and basically....is it hard to be good?
Oh,more questions,i know...But Oscar Wilde said that is easy to be good when you are happy...and the other way round.....hm....
At the same time, suffering is thing that compasion is made of.,...that is only my opinion.naturally:sad:

Yeah, anyone can do the right thing when their sprirts are high. But it's when you are not feeling so great, when the cards are stacked against you, when no one is looking, when you feel bad, that's when your true character shows....

As far as Bono.....

"it is hard to be good?"
Yeah, I can agree may be what it means.
To expand upon it a little, maybe...... that even though he knows, and feels what he should do, and act like, he can't help being human. I realize I don't always have the positive attitude.

It's sort of like...... well..... here is an extended metaphor, hahaha.
Like when Bono improvises on a song. Sometimes it comes out wonderful, and beautiful. Sometimes it's kinda bad. But I'm sure, in his head, he always wants to sing and preform his best, to use his voice as best he can. So it's kind of like the difference, the difference between the dream, the goal of a beautiful improvisation, and what really comes out.

Sometimes we can't hit the high notes. Other nights everything goes smoothly. (Somedays are better than others...)

TripThruUreWires said:
for those of you that feel the need to continually analyze and question my posts in this thread:

kindly refer back to the original question at hand (i.e. what is YOUR definition of love?)

i merely answered that question.

i did NOT codemn anyone in providing my first or subsequent response.

i did NOT remotely imply that any individual who posseses an alternative definition of love ought to rot in hell or the like.

i also did NOT imply that such individuals are devoid of any semblence of love. in fact, i'll be the first to tell you that, living in a multicultural/multireligious society, i have dear Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist friends who demonstrate much altruism, goodwill, kindness, compassion, etc.

on the other hand, i hold the belief that those who do not know and trust in Jesus (and Jesus alone) as Saviour also do not know love in its truest and highest form.

of course, for those of you that may be a wee bit "slow", notice that i ever so kindly qualified the latter statement with "i hold the belief". . . ". . . you know, just so you don't go and get your panties in a bunch. i seem to have made the mistake of assuming that people here automatically recognized that that which one posts is not a dictum for all, especially when it is offered in response to another's prompting for people's opinions/beliefs/etc. on a subject. silly me. :tsk:

all points well taken, though you might have avoided the questions if you had said "i hold the belief that ..." in the initial post. as it read, it seemed very declarative.

but, as you said, you did answer the question honestly.

:up:

You can't define love. You can list the things that help you to love someone but you may also find those things in someone you don't love. Love is unexplainable. There are people we know we should love yet we don't. If we could define love and explain it there would be no point. I belive love is simply a feeling that you have, not somthing you can decide. It's like faith, either it's there or it isn't. Seriously how can anyone efine or explain love in simply words? We can't. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Hallucination, I agree with you!

We try to explain what love is -- but it is different for everyone!
Every person lives & loves and feels in his/her personal way.

No one can tell you who to love or who you don't have to love.
Of course, the mind at a certain point tells you what you SHOULD do, but I have the impression that it is not so easy to follow reason and logic...

Back
Top Bottom