What is wrong with my brother?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliaguliaxo94

War Child
Since he was little, my brother has kept a toy monkey with him. As long as I can remember, he has used this monkey has a puppet, altering his voice and personality to match the character he's made up for this thing.

Since a few years ago, he has only talked in this voice when he is in a conversation with our parents. He will also, if available, have his monkey nearby to act out his words, as if the monkey IS him. We have tried to make him stop this, but he is extremely stubborn and simply will not cooperate.

The biggest problem is my brother will be 15 next month. Also, in school, at restuarants and even family gatherings, he will never talk to anyone. And when he does, his voice is barely audible. He avoids communicating at all costs. The only time he will ever talk in his normal voice at a decent volume is with me or when he with his two friends.

I also notice he is hostile and critical towards basically everyone he meets and will almost never go out with his two friends by choice, only when our mother tells him to go outside and stop playing his video games. I know most boys my age are as obsessed with COD as he is, but honestly, if he could, he would play video games 24/7 without stopping or doing anything else.

My parents are annoyed and concerned for him, as well as I am. We would like to send him to a psychiatrist of some sort since our talks with him have not worked, but we don't think he would cooperate with them. I am extremely worried about what he will do with his life after high school - how he will ever get a job, a full time career, and start a family...

I am also angry with him for the possibility that he chooses to be this way, but it's also possible that he cannot help it..

:sigh:

We would like to send him to a psychiatrist of some sort since our talks with him have not worked, but we don't think he would cooperate with them.

I think this is what you need to do -- even if you think he might not cooperate. At the very least some type of therapy might give your parents some idea about what the problem is and maybe even things they can do to help him. And your brother might surprise you and actually be willing to work with someone outside the family. Some people find it easier to talk over their problems with someone they don't know.

Good luck. :hug:

Sounds like autism to me. There are so many different kinds of autism, it's up to a psychiatrist to figure out which one. Even if he might not cooperate, it's the best option.

I would say it's more than possible that he can't help it. Professional help is the only way to go. Maybe you can talk to him first about it, since he must trust you. Only if that's not too difficult for you. It's obvious that you love and care about him very much. It isn't hopeless-with the love of his family and good professional help I'm sure he can improve. It won't happen quickly, but it doesn't have to. Your family just has to take the first step, as hard as that is.

Good luck to him, and to your family :hug:

I agree with Galeongirl - it sounds like autism.

Give therapy a try, it might just lead to either treatment or an answer to what is going on.

Good luck! :hug:

^ or aspergers ?

Either ways he needs some professional guidance

Sending you strength and bucket loads of peace :hug:

Good luck :)

Asperger's is a form of autism. But of what the OP says it doesn't sound like Asperger's to me. They're usually good in adapting to situations.

This should have been diagnosed a long time ago, not thinking one will "cooperate" is not an excuse in a case like this. But it's never too late, I hope you do something soon, best of luck.

Sounds like autism to me. There are so many different kinds of autism, it's up to a psychiatrist to figure out which one. Even if he might not cooperate, it's the best option.

I was thinking that as well...I have seen it quite often. The inability to interact socially is the key here. good luck :hug:

This should have been diagnosed a long time ago, not thinking one will "cooperate" is not an excuse in a case like this. But it's never too late, I hope you do something soon, best of luck.

I agree, it's unfair to him not to seek a professional diagnosis. Most people are uncooperative and don't *want* to do things that are for their own good (who here LIKES getting their teeth drilled or being poked and prodded at annual physical exams?). If you don't know what's wrong you won't know how to properly communicate with him and manage his disorder so that his life is more comfortable for him.

Back
Top Bottom