What I wish I could have been

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Or are you working your dream job?

I was always facintated with Sharks and wanted to be a Marine Biologist. I wanted to go out in the ocean and explore the underwater world.

sadly that never came true.:sad:

If you still want to be a marine biologist, the only thing standing in the way of you making it happen is you.

When I was in grade 2 I wanted to race motorcycles. In grade 3 I wanted to be just like my dad, even though I wasn't sure what he did at the time -- turns out, electrician, though he isn't one now. In grade 4 I wanted to play baseball. In grade 5 I wanted to write. In grade 6 I wanted to save the environment.

It's changed a bit since then... I had wanted to own my own bar for a while, when I was 16 or 17 or so, and after that I had wanted to become a historian for Parks Canada for a while... but now, since I'm in English and taking philosophy, I can look to the future and say 'writing is possible' and (if I pursue law) 'saving the environment is feasible' or given the fact that with enough capital anyone can start a business (plus I have experience in the service industry) I could become 'owner of my own bar'.

Now, I may end up not doing any of those things, because something else might pique my interest. But really, I'm only in the position I am right now because it's along the path of where I want to be. If you don't feel that you're on the path that you want to be on, there's always time to forge a new path towards your goal of Marine Biology. It'll be hard work, maybe even hellish work, but if you want to be a marine biologist and are upset that it didn't happen, that's the only way to do what you want -- I mean, noone's going to drop a diploma in your lap and throw you in the pond.

Thanks. I am going to take EMT classes at my local firehouse to become an EMT and then on to Paramedic. When I get that certificate I will forge into that dream. I downloaded SharkWeek from Itunes and it brang back memories.

I always wanted to be a pharmacist.

Now I'm going to college for biochemistry to do pharmaceutical research!

Here are all the "what I wanted to be when I grow up" in order...

garbage man (you laugh but as a kid someone who gets to hang on the side of a truck and jump off while it's moving is pretty cool)

Preacher

Architect (did for 6 years)

Musician(well it's not my career, but we'll see...)

Wanted to be a cop, but only because i thought you got a buddy and drove around in a Ford Torino arresting Pimps.

When I was a kid I really wanted to be a pediatrics nurse. My mom was in the nursing field so I always found what she did fascinating. Than when I hit high school I wanted to be a criminal prosecutor or special agent with the FBI in the behavior science unit.

What I am doing now is another big dream I had and that is being a writer :). Plus Im studying to be a court reporter so Im still staying in the law field.

I wanted to be an elementary teacher. I decided on that and picked my university when I was 5 years old. When I started going to that university for it though, I began freaking out about the loans I was just starting to rack up and at how competitive the teaching program was. When I would hang out with some of my classmates, all they talked about was teaching. It made me second guess myself, since I wasn't 24/7 devoted like they were. I ended up transferring to a community college by my dad and just got an associate's in computer science. Now I have an awesome government job that I absolutely love...so everything worked out.

I always wanted to be an artist...

obviously I wasn't sure what kind of artist I wanted to be. I started to draw since I was little because I used to say all the time that I wanted to work in disney, and my parents always said "of course you can", so I never gave up.

Then I wanted to work in japan, as an anime artist, I was fascinated by anime and manga comics and I learnt a lot of things drawing from them. I picked my college when I was in 8th grade. My parents were a little worried because it is a public college, and, although it is the best college here in Colombia and being admitted there is a reason to be proud , it always had a reputation of "revolucionary". I studied in a school runned by nuns and they didn't want to see a "decent" lady in a place like that "full of hippies", but I didn't care about them, I applied and I was admited :D.

I studied Graphic design and arts in college. It was great, and then I felt in love with the books and the traditional art and I decided to work as an illustrator and a designer for children's books. soon I'll be publishing my first book in venezuela, i'm crossing my fingers :D.

Last edited:
Doozer61 said:

Senator Doozer has a nice ring to it. :yes:

I'd vote for you. :love:

I always wanted to be a writer growing up. I've done it as a hobby for so long now, though, that I think I'm content with that. Still, every year it seems as if my dream life of being a wrtier in NYC slips away.

Having to be realistic and paying the bills sucks. :p

When I was a little kid I wanted to be a pony. :)

...well, some people do think I'm a horse's ass... :wink:

Then in high school I wanted to be journalist. Actually did that for about a year after college.

But then I decided what I wanted to be most was a slacker...and after 10 more years working for the "man", I was finally able to live my dream.

And now I am a full time slacker! :D

when i was young, i wanted to be a movie director. i also wanted to work for greenpeace. after college, i toyed with the idea of going into the art world (ie, museums or galleries). not doing any of those things now... :wink:

For the longest time I wanted to be an architect.

Then I was interested in art history, but it was always more a hobby than anything else.

Then I wanted to go into cancer research (actually did do this).

I wanted to be a paleontologist, pretty much. At some point I also wanted to be a vet and a marine biologist. Then during middle school and beginning of high school I wanted to be a manga-ka (japanese comic book author/illustrator).

Now I want to be a robot and a rock star.

When I was little, I always wanted to be a police officer... probably because you get to wield a gun and kick ass in the process... but then later on I wanted to become a stenographer lol (all those episodes of Science Court), then a lawyer, and now I just want to do something in local government... however I have no clue still on what that may be.

When I was growing up I wanted to be a fashion designer and an artist. I went to a private art school when I was very young. And then on to The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising for a while. I realized after a while to do what I wanted I didn't need schooling anymore. I just needed to follow my heart. So about 7 years ago I quit working for someone else and started doing art full time. I'm a mixed media artist working mostly in fibers and paint. But I'm open to anything. I just go where my life takes me. I couldn't image a better job. I get to meet great people, travel, and have lots of time with my family. A few years ago I met a mentor of mine and she told me that I had more heart and vision for my art then she ever would. That was enough payment for a lifetime. We have since become really good friends and I feel like friendships like that are the payment for what I do. You can make all the money in the world, but truly enjoying what you do and where it takes you is so much more worth while to me.

A veterinarian. :sigh:

Then I wanted to work in politics (and did for a few years).

Now I'm working in a library and studying to be a librarian, but it's not something I really want to do.

My biggest fantasy was actress, but I'm way too shy and not good looking enough

Nurse but I was way too squeamish and sensitive

Work at a zoo or as a dog trainer. I'd really love to do that now because I'm so tired of dealing with people :wink:

Russty Cat said:
When I was growing up I wanted to be a fashion designer and an artist. I went to a private art school when I was very young. And then on to The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising for a while. I realized after a while to do what I wanted I didn't need schooling anymore. I just needed to follow my heart. So about 7 years ago I quit working for someone else and started doing art full time. I'm a mixed media artist working mostly in fibers and paint. But I'm open to anything. I just go where my life takes me. I couldn't image a better job. I get to meet great people, travel, and have lots of time with my family. A few years ago I met a mentor of mine and she told me that I had more heart and vision for my art then she ever would. That was enough payment for a lifetime. We have since become really good friends and I feel like friendships like that are the payment for what I do. You can make all the money in the world, but truly enjoying what you do and where it takes you is so much more worth while to me.

wow :D.. that really sounds interesting, I think you are lucky to go to an art school, there aren't places like that here. I'm interested in fashion design too, and I have some projects to make toys and design objects :).

Last edited:
:yes: I always wanted to be a truck driver-just like on "Movin' On" and old TV show. And, both my brothers are truck drivers. to answer your other question, yes, I did get to do it!! But then, I thought I was missing something not being in that "9 to 5" world, only to now realize, I really miss it! The freedom of the road-no one 'riding your back', the dispatcher just hands you your paper work-tells you get it there on time, and safely-and see ya later! I am determined to get back into it! And, I am woman-hear me roar in my 18 wheeler!!! :wink:

When I was little, I wanted to be a cartoonist for Disney...

I'm don't really want to now, but next year I'm taking Fine Art and Graphics because I definitely want to be an artist of some description :wink:

when I was 14 yrs. old I wanted to be in the WNBA. at my elementary school, I was a basketball prodigy. too bad, I stopped playing when I came into high school. :shrug: I can't even dribble anymore. :lol:

when I was 8-12 yrs. old I wanted to be an artist, actress, writer, and a music performer. I dreamed big when I was little. :wink:

now I want to be a writer, musician, and a nurse.

Back
Top Bottom