What are your pick-me-ups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I've had a pretty rotten day. My life is great, except for one aspect, which weighs down on me all the time. Today at work, I guess... ever just have one of those days where everything falls the wrong way? I had one of those.

I don't want to impose my doom and gloom on everyone, just want to know what everyone else does to pick themselves up. I need some new strategies. I can always rely on music, but what helps you?

:)

I cuddle on the couch with the dogs and watch some Seinfeld DVDs and read. I just got a guitar as a gift, and I don't know how to play, so I'm trying to learn. It takes my mind off of everything else by having something to focus on so intently.

I play guitar a lot, I also watch The Office, I eat Pringles, and I have a Coke. If I was of a legal age, I might have alcohol.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Alcohol is actually a depressant.

^------ this quote is the opposite of a pick me up :tsk:

DIY stuff around my house, physically working on a project at home gives me the satisfaction that I often have to wait on with work stuff that is longer to finish or needs input from other people. A nice cold cooler on a hot day. Completing a list of mundane tasks I have been putting off.

I keep quite a few pick-me-up mixes in my iTunes for when I need them. At the end of a tough day, I enjoy cooking myself a nice meal and taking a hot shower (how I miss having a bathtub :sigh: ). Working out always boosts my mood, too, though I usually only work out first thing in the morning. Certain scents also help me relax, especially lavender and the combination of spearmint and eucalyptus.

I've been feeling down a lot lately, this place helps me to focus my attention on other things.... playing guitar works, or listening to music... talking to friends works sometimes too but I can't really talk to them about this stuff so I talk about it with people I met here, that helped me a great deal :)

I forgot chocolate :drool:

I try to keep a bar of a good kind around here, and I have just a little piece of it now and then, especially when I'm in a bad mood.

U2, TV marathons, Harry Potter (especially when another one is about to come out), chocolate, ice cream, cooking, good food (especially ethnic cuisine of all sorts, spicy stuff, trying new foods), Red Sox, beer.

well when im upset i love being alone...when im angry i like being alone but with tons of hard music...i was really down and upset last week and i listend to nirvana and sons of butcher and it felt good to scream. music is really good actually. and chocolate tons of chocolate. ice cream too..and fast food omg ok food is good...but sometimes its good to talk to people i guess lol..
just feel better:hug:

Carbs. Lots and lots of carbs.

Followed by regrets.

We have a large pile of dvds we've not yet seen or both plan to watch together which are great to pull out when you need a complete switch off. Thing is you need peace and quiet for that, and that usually only occurs when the stinky one and the noisy one have gone to bed and by then the bad mood is usually gone.

Apart from that, it's the usual. A good long walk works, as does a favourite food, reading, relaxing, meditating, music, playing idle mindless games works well for me (tertris or bubbles type games), cooking is a good one, cleaning... Each kind of depend on what type of bad mood I have as to whether it will be effective.
:uhoh:

My kids...most of the time. A good long run. Yoga. Meditation. Cooking.

I wouldn't say this place is always a 'pick-me-up' exactly :wink: but it can certainly provide a welcome distraction.

i usually let my frustrations out through an amplifier

sometimes I'll watch House or Daily Show or something to take my mind off things

and of course listening to music is good though it often just leads to me spending too much time thinking.

talking to friends can help, especially since pretty much all my friends are quite funny :wink:

sometimes i like to DQ Something New™ or Do the Dew™

however if I am really depressed often I just try to sleep.

Losing myself in a long, good book that takes me to another world I can see, taste and smell (recently Shantaram and Journeyer)
I can agree with JCOSTER. I'm a complete as in total slob, but
I think it is great therapy to clean out something and throw stuff
out. It is a good gauge on what is still important to me and what isnt'. Then I organize, which lasts about 20 minutes.
Shouting and throwing things--done in private.
Singing out loud where absolutely nobody can hear me.
Comfort music. Comfort food.
Water--rain, swimming, bath--as long as I'm wet, I'm happy.
Wind.
A new interest

:wink: I'd say a good day at the beach. I always come back sleepy...but then I sleep really good after. Also, chocolate..oh yeah! Listening to good music, petting my cat.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom