What are you scared of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
- Spiders - Even though I'm an "animal person" and not bothered by other bugs including daddy long legs...spiders terrify me to the point of catatonic trance depending on their size and proximity. I've been terrified of them since I was a toddler, no idea why.
- Bloat/GDV - Having medium/large breed dogs with deep chests it is always in the back of my mind. If I wake up at night and don't hear the dogs stir I'll make a noise so they move and I know they're alive.

I'm not afraid of dying, but am terrified of what happens in the afterlife, if there even is one. I'm not a believer in God, but I fear that he doesn't exist. It's scary/depressing that there might not be an all-powerful, all-loving force watching over us all, whether that force is God or just a Karmic force of nature. I'm also afraid of bugs.

I'm not afraid of dying so much, though it does scare me to think that my life would end before I ever accomplished anything, or that everything that I ever worked for was in vain and it was just my destiny to die in a car wreck or some other form that would end in a fatality for myself, because you never know. I'm also scared of loosing someone I love to something like that as well. :| I can't help but think of things like that when I hear that happened to someone.

On a less morbid note, I'm terrified of spiders and snakes, all kinds. I used to be scared of squirrels when I was little because I thought they would bite me and give me rabies. :lol:

I'm scared of blood, being alone for too long, being alone in the dark *shudders*, that I will completely fail at working life and end up doing something I don't want to do, that I will always be too shy and not daring enough to make really big decisions, that I'll die painfully or too young, without getting the chance to do everything I want to, and that, worst of all, I'll get bad grades for the rest of the school year. :huh: (Okay, that last one actually came out sounding serious... intended as a very bad joke.)
That was interesting to think of... I know it's stupid to have so many worries about the future but I can't help it. A teenager's got to know these things.

Blood? Hey, I'm scared of it too. A lot. I'm also afraid of spiders, heights and like someone said - of future.

Ghosts/ poltergeists...I do believe in them.

The first time I saw Paranormal Activity part 1 I didn't sleep well for almost a week...

Paranormal Activity :D I love all three films.

^Okay, now that you mention it again, and in light of a recent gruesome dream I had, I am really, really scared of blood. :| Not so much my own, and not in small doses (ie, papercuts) but... loads of it, like in horror movies or car accidents, scares me. And even donating blood. Come to think of it, I'm also scared of shots... needles scare me.

And another one I remembered today- I'm irrationally afraid that I'll wake up one day and all the talent I possess in writing and musical skills will be gone, and I'll have to learn how to do it all over again. This isn't likely to ever happen, but I'm still scared that it will.

- Car accidents.
- Mass quantities of insects (I will always distance myself from an ants nest)
- Failure
- Talking on the telephone (I'm not shy, but I'm terrified of even making appointments over the phone and I don't know why)
- Alcohol and becoming inebriated

That's really interesting.

What about it scares you?

Alcohol can turn good people into monsters and I have seen several people I looked up to in my life go down that road. I've been drunk before, and I'm the same drunk as I am sober (a little more relaxed and more likely to laugh at things), but for some reason I just can't bring myself to drink enough to get drunk (or drink period) because I don't want to do anything stupid. I would say it was a personal decision of great responsibility if it weren't for the fact that I am terrified of doing it. My fear of alcohol has gotten better, I used to get nauseated and have anxiety attacks whenever I even so much as smelled it. Pat can drink beer in the house now without me having to go outside (I didn't mind the fact that he was drinking it, just the smell).

That's completely understandable.

Like many others I am terrified of spiders. A tarantula once crawled into my house and I was literally in hysterics, crying and screaming. Thankfully, I wasn't home alone.

I am also afraid of home invasion, violent crime, being bitten by a rattlesnake on a remote hike, losing one of my kids, being on a plane as it goes down, my car breaking down in the center lane with no one to help me push it and everyone is honking and swearing at me, chicken bones, and cancer coming back.

Ugh.

I can't even think about chicken bones without getting creeped out. You know, like eating chicken that's still on bones. With fried chicken I can maybe eat the breading but if I see the bones it's over. People love having fried chicken with me because they always get so much extra. I won't let anyone who eats chicken wings around me leave the bones just sitting there wide open on the plate where I can see them. They have to be under a napkin or I will get sick. Chicken wing bones are a whole other level of awful. I could never in my life eat a chicken wing.

I have never cooked a whole chicken. I wouldn't be able to touch it. I only buy boneless skinless to cook with. I have to have someone take the meat off a rotisserie chicken for me and then get rid of the rest where I can't see it.

One time I had a chicken bone in my fajitas at a restaurant and it got into my mouth while I was eating. I threw up in the restroom. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Ohhh. What about like steak bones? Same thing or no? I always order chicken wings with the bone.. I dont like boneless wings. *remembers to never order chicken wings around Mindy* lol.

I'm scared of anything happening to my cats, my family, etc.

I'm also scared of my landlord. She gives me anxiety. :mad:

No, steak bones don't really bother me. I'd rather not see them but I don't have nearly the same reaction to them as I do with chicken bones.

I was thinking it's funny after all these years you didn't know about the chicken bone thing but that's probably because we always go out for sushi.

You so weird, beeg :heart:

I have conquered my huntsman phobia and now it's just heights. I watched the Matrix the other night and nearly passed out. I'm afraid of lots of things, but heights remains my last crippling phobia. The kind that stops you functioning temporarily.

You so weird, beeg :heart:

I have conquered my huntsman phobia and now it's just heights. I watched the Matrix the other night and nearly passed out. I'm afraid of lots of things, but heights remains my last crippling phobia. The kind that stops you functioning temporarily.

At least it's mildly possible to avoid heights. I have to make a lot of appointments via phone and even the thought of answering can be debilitating sometimes.

^ Talking on the phone makes me nervous, too. I think it's because I'm an introvert. I had to call a bank the other day and ask an awkward question and I felt like I was having a panic attack when it was over.

I've discovered that I am really afraid of worms in a group. Seeing a lot of worms together makes me gag. Also, I've always been afraid of centipedes and millipedes for some reason. They're just so gross and creepy. Snakes and other reptiles don't scare me, though, unless they're poisonous or angry.

And I know what you mean, beegee, about chicken bones. I can't really eat fried chicken anymore because I don't like all the tendons and veins that are in there with the bones. I'll eat it if I have to, but I prefer boneless chicken tenders any day.

Spiders . . . why did it have to be spiders? Millipedes and centipedes gross me out, too. If you mash them, their legs continue to kick for a while. :sad: MrPurrl always wants to catch them and put them outside--go to it, Davy Crockett!

^ Talking on the phone makes me nervous, too. I think it's because I'm an introvert. I had to call a bank the other day and ask an awkward question and I felt like I was having a panic attack when it was over.
Oh yes. I am very, very nervous about talking on the phone, especially to people I don't know very well. When I was younger I used to force my mom to make calls for me. I still don't like calling people now.

Also, related to the worm/centipede/spider thing, I'm creeped out by large amounts of ants. Ants are so gross. I once walked down a sidewalk that was completely covered in ants. It was terrifying.

Moving back in with my parents, I'm 35 :crack:

Would do almost anything to avoid it but I'm stuck, no money to get my own place, no friends to share with. My housemate will probably have to go back to his parents too, this is not a good situation for anyone.

Money changes everything.

^ I read a story in school called "Leiningen Versus the Ants" that was a little disturbing. At least there are no giant, thumb-sized ants where I live, or I'd be a basket case. The little black ones and red ones we have here don't bother me.

Leiningen Versus the Ants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That sounds terrifying. :|

I once read an excerpt of a book called The Poisonwood Bible for school, and the scene involved millions of ants. So that too was creepy...

Back
Top Bottom