What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I cant remember if I asked this here or not, but for the last year or so Ive been desperately looking for a job, and never getting anywere past interview stages. (if that)

Ive applied to well over 50 places, some repeated, and I just dont know what it is that Im doing wrong.

Ive only had 2 other jobs, and I cant get a decent reference from either as in both places, everyone who knew me no longer work there.

I have reasonable school grades, not amazing, not terrible, but theyre the standard thing of what employers look for.

What is the secret to getting a job? Ive been told the only way to get a job here is to have a relation or friends that will get you one. From my experiance its pretty true. :(

I dont want this job just for extra cash, I want money so I can move away. I was hoping to have been gone by now but life never quite turns out the way you plan. :|

ask some of the over 50 places what would have made you hireable in their eyes, and than actually act on the feedback.

I know the feeling all too well. :( Once I got out of college, it took me over 2 years to find a full-time job. I actually ended up working part-time for the same clothing store chain I worked at while in high school (that was pretty ouch...but better than nothing). The problem may not be with you...there is just a lot of competition out there. My biggest obstacle also was that places wanted someone with experience. Well, how do I get experience if nobody will hire me?? I scoured the paper for ads everyday and sent out countless resumes...I drove around looking for places that were hiring...I checked online. I ended up finding something my field that was only part-time...6 days, 19 hours a week. I worked that job for about 7 months, along with the clothing store job...and I finally found something full-time. Pay still wasn't that good and there were no benefits, but it was still more than I had ever made, and it was more good experience. From there, I made it to the job I am at now...and I absolutely love it. :)

This is reality though: after I was hired for my current job, I was told that 50 people had applied for the position. That means that 49 people got rejected. Job hunting is very competitive, and it may not be that there is something wrong with you...it just might be that somebody else has an edge over you, even if it is just a slight one.

The best advice I can offer is to not give up. Keep looking, try not to get too discouraged. Also, when you interview...smile. It seems so simple, but at a previous job I got, I was told that I was the only person interviewed who smiled. They said they figured if I could be smiling during something as stressful as an interview, I could handle the job. Don't go in there grinning like an idiot, obviously...but be pleasant and relaxed.

Bonochick said:
My biggest obstacle also was that places wanted someone with experience. Well, how do I get experience if nobody will hire me??

Ack, yeah and isn't that just the most frustrating thing?! Bonochick's right though MooMoo you've just got to keep trying and trying and trying. Eventually something will come up.

By the way, I'm liking the new avatar. Is that where you're planning on escaping to?

If you can't get a reference from either of your other jobs, see if you can find a teacher who can vouch for your level of responsibility and dependibility. Make sure that you're prepared for interviews and that you present yourself as someone who wants to be taken seriously (by showing up on time, dressing appropriately, turning off your cell phone, things like that). As others have said, it's tough to get a job, but doing these things will give you as good a chance as you can get.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
If you can't get a reference from either of your other jobs, see if you can find a teacher who can vouch for your level of responsibility and dependibility. Make sure that you're prepared for interviews and that you present yourself as someone who wants to be taken seriously (by showing up on time, dressing appropriately, turning off your cell phone, things like that). As others have said, it's tough to get a job, but doing these things will give you as good a chance as you can get.

Good advice.

Do not let your search get you down, because that will carry over into your interviews, most likely in a negative way, be it frustration or desperation. Easier said than done, but it's important that you do your best to keep a positive attitude.

Also, have some questions of your own. It shows you know a bit about the job but want to know more. Being inquisitive should hopefully be taken as a good sign.

Good luck to you!

helping people find jobs is my field of work! e-mail me your CV (exwhyzee ATgmailDOTcom) and give me a list of jobs you want to apply to and their descriptions. i'll be more than happy to help you out!

ETA: feel free to omit your private information (address) when you send it to me if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Well its not so much that I can choose where to work, as I'm now at the point where I cant pick or choose as I just cant get anywhere. :huh:

A few weeks ago I nearly got a job I would have really liked (working on a ferry) but got refused because I was in college. :( I was even more upset becuase they were talking to me like they'd given me the job already. :/ Im only looking for part time work, but I mean I cant even get a saturday job in a damn supermarket!! :mad:

But yeah, the "well we want someone with experiance" thing pisses me off no end.

It seems to be something with my application that lets me down, as I dont get offered a lot of interviews. I try to be as optimistic as I can but after all this time it has gotten to me. Obviously I dont let that show in the interview though. *sigh*

Edit: sent you a copy of the CV. ;)

Last edited:
TheQuiet1 said:

Ack, yeah and isn't that just the most frustrating thing?! Bonochick's right though MooMoo you've just got to keep trying and trying and trying. Eventually something will come up.

By the way, I'm liking the new avatar. Is that where you're planning on escaping to?
If you mean me, Id like to escape there. :( Im from Liverpool originally, Im living on the Isle of Man now though, Ill hopefully be visiting sometime soon though. :)

College degrees are the new high school degrees for a number of reasons. Grade inflation, bigger percentage of people attending college, and in general they seem to be handing them out by the truckload.

I know a lot friends who are graduating and either turning into the perinneal college student (staying in school until their 30s from the age of 24/25) to avoid paying back gov't loans, or just working at Starbucks with their degree sitting in a box somewhere.

~

When I go back to school (I studied Economics, dropped out Mick Jagger style), you bet your ass it will be for something business oriented that carries guaranteed internship time with it.

Oh its not college like American college (university) its an A-level college, which is like higher level High School qualifications.

All in subjects that are useless. XD Well, Im doing English, so I guess thats something.

What I find helps in general is milking friends and their connections to find places hiring. Usually your name goes right to the top of the resume queue if you use someone already employed at a company as a reference.

Also, does the UK have local employment offices? In Quebec, you basically have a social employment office for each neighbourhood, and you can open a file and a counselar will guide you to finding a job that fits your qualifications.

lol, I handed in an application form in a pharmacy today, went to a coffee shop and the woman at the counter, completely out of the blue said "are you looking for a part time job?" :lol: I dont know if I have it mind, I have to go back tomorrow, but still.

:applaud: That's great! See--you just never know where an opportunity might just be waiting for you! I had someone on the phone the other day tell me I had a wonderful phone voice and demeanor and that I should apply at their company so I went online and did! :wink:

Holy hell, moaning about your life on Interference must give you super powers or something, as I now have, after a year of looking, a job that I didnt even ask for. :lmao:

Ahhhh. I got called by the woman and she wanted me to try out working there, was for 2 hours but it flew by, got paid for it too. :D I left feeling happier than I have for a long time. And I also know how to "bless" coffee. :lol:

MooMoo! said:
Holy hell, moaning about your life on Interference must give you super powers or something, as I now have, after a year of looking, a job that I didnt even ask for. :lmao:

Ahhhh. I got called by the woman and she wanted me to try out working there, was for 2 hours but it flew by, got paid for it too. :D I left feeling happier than I have for a long time. And I also know how to "bless" coffee. :lol:

That's awesome!! Congratulations! Maybe my turn is next?!!!:wink:

Lol, well theres this thing you put the coffee in, and its basically wiping off the excess. I dont know if "blessing" is the technical term, or it was just cos she was Irish. :lol:

BTW, unico, I love your pichu. ;)

MooMoo! said:

:laugh: Congratulations!

Ahh. First full day today. I love the job, but at certain times you dont have a lot to do. Ive been assured there are things I can do if Im stuck for a task, but I think the boss was just not giving me stuff to do to be nice. :lol:

My feet and legs are frigging killing though. :scream: I only got to sit for 10 minutes from 10:30 till 4:40. And they keep feeling worse and worse. :der: Ill be having a bath later on, might loosen them up.

Back
Top Bottom