What a role reversal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I was just lecturing my mom that she needs to get a job. :|

Yes you read that right. I was just lecturing my mom telling her to get a job. She's always been a penny pincher and complains that we don't have enough money. My dad has a job, i now have an internship that will eventually start paying, all she does is sit around and stress about our financial situation. I tell her to work at a local grocery store, she says "But i don't know how to use a cash register!" I roll my eyes and say "That's what training is for!!!!" :mad:

If you see birds swimming and fish flying you'll know it's because i have reversed the natural order of things. :|

Hehe, I had a similar moment two years ago. I'd been working at my job for months and did some training for extra responsibilities. It included a hefty pay increase. Now even while being a full time college student, I work more hours even when only part time and make more per hour than my mom. I don't think my mom has worked as much as I do since before she gave birth to me.

My Mom is the boss and makes 3x what my father makes, LOL.

He gets a weekly allowance from her. $40. :wink:

U2democrat said:
its just that she complains about not having any money (which we don't) and then is too timid to do anything about it herself.

Yeah, my mom just likes to volunteer all morning instead of working (which is cool. I totally wish I could afford to volunteer a few times a week). But, her life is getting cheaper by the month. I've been on my own for three years now and my brother is graduating from HS next month so there will only be my sis left to worry about. this year has been weird b/c I've been working so much that I've started doing things for my parents. I mean, they don't pay any of my tuition or anything, but I've been helping them out like buying all this stuff for their computer to upgrade it so they won't need a new one, and buying these parts to setup DSL in both parts of the house so they can cancel their internet payments (the DSL is paid for through my dad's job). It's like a complete role-reversal b/c I'm paying for their things!

My mom had to go out and get a job when her (wish he was an ex) husband totally cut her off financially. She hasn't had to work since they got married but she got herself a job and has basically had to learn everything on the job. I'm proud of her for doing that. :)

Laura, if your mom is timid or whatever, maybe she could try something she already enjoys, even if it's not much pay. My mom loves kids so right now, she works at an inner-city daycare part time. Since your mom doesn't necessarily need to work, she should try something fun instead of feeling pressured into jumping into a career. You'll be on your own in a matter of months so she'll have plenty of financial freedom and maybe if you guys are really close, it might be good to help her find something she can do so she doesn't miss you too much :cute:

Yeah its weird if you have to become the parent.... or the adult in a child-parent relationship

I've had to do that..... a "few" times.......

Back
Top Bottom